ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Holy shit...

This ginger fuck is giving his press conference right now, and he was asked about the clock management at the end of the game with McFadden's TD. Why didn't they run the clock down, or tell McFadden to fall after getting the first down, etc.

He literally said, "In my mind, we wanted to play football at that point. We thought they were gonna play football, and so we decided to play football."
I heard that, and almost couldn't believe my ears.

He probably heard some old coach say that sometime and thought that kind of inside jargon would made him sound like a badass.

This guy is such an absolute joke.

Reaction score
Holy shit...

This ginger fuck is giving his press conference right now, and he was asked about the clock management at the end of the game with McFadden's TD. Why didn't they run the clock down, or tell McFadden to fall after getting the first down, etc.

He literally said, "In my mind, we wanted to play football at that point. We thought they were gonna play football, and so we decided to play football."

LOL

Agree with TE. This probably sounded cooler in Little Giants or whatever movie he ripped it off from.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This probably sounded cooler in Little Giants or whatever movie he ripped it off from.
LOL

Also, this Tom Gribble who is with the Ticket and ESPN Dallas was there at the game getting audio from the Jerry interview, so they asked him what Jerry's demeanor was like -- did he seem as negative as those comments sounded, etc.

Gribble said yes, Jerry didn't seem like his usual upbeat self after a win, but almost somber. Which he said surprised him because he'd never Jerry like that right after a win. Maybe there is something there, although I'd never get my hopes up.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Holy shit...

Man that's some genius stuff there from The Clapper

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
LOL

Also, this Tom Gribble who is with the Ticket and ESPN Dallas was there at the game getting audio from the Jerry interview, so they asked him what Jerry's demeanor was like -- did he seem as negative as those comments sounded, etc.

Gribble said yes, Jerry didn't seem like his usual upbeat self after a win, but almost somber. Which he said surprised him because he'd never Jerry like that right after a win. Maybe there is something there, although I'd never get my hopes up.

I'm getting my hopes up

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Sounds like Mike Tice when he was coach up here for the Vikings. Football this. Football that. Football... football... football.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I heard that, and almost couldn't believe my ears.

He probably heard some old coach say that sometime and thought that kind of inside jargon would made him sound like a badass.

This guy is such an absolute joke.

He said that in response to being asked what his strategy was after McFadden ran out of bounds after his 9 yard run on first down after emphatically stating the correct play is not to run out of bounds like McFadden did.

His point was that he felt they needed the first down there and playing to get the first down but not score can cause a player to not attack the hole like he would otherwise and end up not getting the first down, thus the phrase "play football there"

Look, the guy irritates the piss out of me but I don't see what the issue is with his logic on this sequence of plays. The mistake is that McFadden shouldn't have gone out of bounds. You could also argue that McFadden shouldn't have scored after he knew he had the first down. He should have pulled a Brian Westbrook and stopped short of the goal line.

Here's the sequence of plays, time & timeouts:

1:26 on the clock when Dallas took over at the 15, Washington has two time outs

1st down, McFadden runs 9 yards and out of bounds.

1:19 on the clock

2nd down and 1, up the middle for a TD.

1:14 left

Lets say McFadden had the presence of mind to stop short of the goal line:

Then presumably Washington would have called a time out leaving one left, then I'll assume 1:14 is left on the clock when Dallas runs a first down play.

1:14: 1st down, Dallas takes a knee (burns 2 seconds) and Washington calls their final timeout

1:12: 2nd down, Dallas Takes a knee (burns 2 seconds) and runs 24 seconds off the clock before snapping the ball for 3rd down

:46: 3rd down, Dallas Takes a knee (burns 2 seconds) and runs 24 seconds off the clock before taking a timeout.

:20: 4th down, Dallas kicks a field goal (burns 2 seconds)

:18: Kick off

???

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
runs 24 seconds off the clock before snapping the ball
3rd down Play clock is 40 seconds annit? After the last time out?

At any rate, let's not pretend any of this ever enters ginger's mind - he probably had to be TOLD McFadden running out of bounds was bad. And surely, none of us believes he would ever have the strategy to tell any of his backs not to score the TD. That's just not in his makeup. He wanted the TD there, thinking there's no way they come back and get one. Because he thinks his secondary is worth a shit.

Then, when Washington gets the ball back, they go into the fucking DIME and let them have the short completions, matriculate the ball right down the field, then dunderhead Claiborne gives up the long TD.

The dude is just a fucking LOSS in clock and game management. He's clueless.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
3rd down Play clock is 40 seconds annit? After the last time out?

I don't think so, Washington only had two timeouts left when Dallas took over after DeSeans fumble

As far as whether Garrett really knew what he said at the time the plays were occurring, I personally don't think its a stretch to believe that he did but everyone is free to conclude whatever they like.

I just happened to hear this press conference because it was on the radio while I was driving and I took particular interest in how he responded to this issue so I thought I'd pass along the full context of what he said.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think so, Washington only had two timeouts left when Dallas took over after DeSeans fumble
We run the 1st down play. They call timeout. 2nd down - we snap the ball. They call timeout again. No more timeouts. 3rd down - We snap the ball again and it keeps running because they can't stop it, and we have a 40 second play clock there? We run 38 seconds off on this one instead of 24, pretty sure... then call timeout ourselves to get the kicking team out there.

And? Bailey MISSES! LOL

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We run the 1st down play. They call timeout. 2nd down - we snap the ball. They call timeout again. No more timeouts. 3rd down - We snap the ball again and it keeps running because they can't stop it, and we have a 40 second play clock there? We run 38 seconds off on this one instead of 24, pretty sure... then call timeout ourselves to get the kicking team out there.

And? Bailey MISSES! LOL

Wouldn't Washington use their first time out after MCfadden makes a first down, leaving them only one timeout:

Then presumably Washington would have called a time out leaving one left, then I'll assume 1:14 is left on the clock when Dallas runs a first down play.

1:14: 1st down, Dallas takes a knee (burns 2 seconds) and Washington calls their final timeout

1:12: 2nd down, Dallas Takes a knee (burns 2 seconds) and runs 24 seconds off the clock before snapping the ball for 3rd down

:46: 3rd down, Dallas Takes a knee (burns 2 seconds) and runs 24 seconds off the clock before taking a timeout.

:20: 4th down, Dallas kicks a field goal (burns 2 seconds)

What am I doing wrong here?

And? Bailey MISSES! LOL

SMDH...thats probably what would have happened

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong here?
The play clock is 40 seconds, not 25, if there is no timeout from the previous play. Play whistled dead, 40 second play clock starts. So they would run off at least 35 seconds, not 24, each time a play was run after Washington had exhausted its time outs.

When there's a timeout available, it goes like this: Play whistled dead, opponent calls timeout. At the end of the 30 second timeout, the ball is whistled into play and the 25 second play clock starts - but not the game clock. That starts on the snap.

So if Washington had used all of its timeouts, the clock couldn't have been stopped after the 3rd down play, until we called our own timeout. We would have run that 40 second play clock down to 1 or 2 seconds. All of this is predicated on Mcfadden's gaffe of running out of bounds.
SMDH...thats probably what would have happened
And that's what Ginger knew, right? That's why he went for the TOUCHDOWN! LOL

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
yim, why do you have us calling a timeout after 24 seconds on 3rd down? (Edit, Dooms beat me to it.)

And yes, the problem was running in for the score. The only way they have a chance barring a huge TD return is if we run it right in and give them the minute plus to tie us.

Also, I think we all knew what he meant by "playing football", but what a ridiculous phrase. It's like him talking about "executing ball plays" or having "ball practice" or calling us the "Dallas Football Cowboys." Just absurd attempts to make himself sound like an authority.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The play clock is 40 seconds, not 25, if there is no timeout from the previous play. Play whistled dead, 40 second play clock starts. So they would run off at least 35 seconds, not 24, each time a play was run after Washington had exhausted its time outs.

When there's a timeout available, it goes like this: Play whistled dead, opponent calls timeout. At the end of the 30 second timeout, the ball is whistled into play and the 25 second play clock starts - but not the game clock. That starts on the snap.

So if Washington had used all of its timeouts, the clock couldn't have been stopped after the 3rd down play, until we called our own timeout. We would have run that 40 second play clock down to 1 or 2 seconds. All of this is predicated on Mcfadden's gaffe of running out of bounds.And that's what Ginger knew, right? That's why he went for the TOUCHDOWN! LOL

Oy, this is more complicated than meets the eye, thanks for pointing that out

Is this correct:

In the NFL teams have 40 seconds timed from the end of the previous down, or 25 seconds after the ball is declared ready for play after certain administrative stoppages and game delays.

If that is correct, then I was assuming they would be limited to 25 seconds when the redskins called a timeout and the refs would set the ball quickly when they didn't so for the sake of ball parking the run off, I just used 24 seconds as a ballpark estimate.

So if they could have run off 38 seconds instead of 24, it would have meant Dallas could have run the time down to 2 seconds and taken a timeout and then kicked the field goal, no?

Shit, now I am confused, can they confidently run off up to 40 seconds or is it sometimes less when the refs get the ball ready to play quicker?

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
yim, why do you have us calling a timeout after 24 seconds on 3rd down?

I was assuming they'd take the timeout to avoid the delay of game penalty (I was also assuming they only had 25 seconds to burn, whatever the correct time available to burn is, I would call the timeout with 1-2 seconds left), is that not the best way to go?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Let me try again, how's this look:

1:12: 2nd down, Dallas Takes a knee (burns 2 seconds) and runs 38 seconds off the clock before snapping the ball for 3rd down

:32: 3rd down, Dallas Takes a knee (burns 2 seconds) and runs 29 seconds off the clock before taking a timeout.

:01: 4th down, Dallas kicks a field goal

Game over or overtime

Did I finally get it right?

I cant believe after all these years of watching football I never picked up on that nuance, Im an idiot

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So if they could have run off 38 seconds instead of 24, it would have meant Dallas could have run the time down to 2 seconds and taken a timeout and then kicked the field goal, no?
Pretty sure of it. Then the time is consumed, by the kick. Game over.
In the NFL teams have 40 seconds timed from the end of the previous down, or 25 seconds after the ball is declared ready for play after certain administrative stoppages and game delays.
This includes penalties. You only have a 25 second play clock, after the ball is whistled ready for play after a penalty.
Did I finally get it right?
Yeah, assuming McFadden doesn't have his brain fart. Since he did, I am only going off what happens from there which looks like probably still at least your original 18 seconds is still on the game clock after the FG is made or missed.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Shit, now I am confused, can they confidently run off up to 40 seconds or is it sometimes less when the refs get the ball ready to play quicker?
That 40 second clock starts immediately after the previous play is whistled dead. Only the 25 second clock is started by the official by announcing the ball ready for play.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Also, I think we all knew what he meant by "playing football", but what a ridiculous phrase. It's like him talking about "executing ball plays" or having "ball practice" or calling us the "Dallas Football Cowboys." Just absurd attempts to make himself sound like an authority.

you would have loved the press conference then, he whipped out another piece of lingo that caught my ear but now I forgot what it was "propla" or something, I think he even explained it

Top Bottom