Reaction score
As Week 13 comes to a close with a Monday night battle between the Cowboys and the Redskins, the NFC East division race remains a confounding, unpredictable mess.

No one knows what to make of these teams except they're pretty bad and habitually inconsistent. Whoever finishes atop the standings at the end of the regular season gets an opportunity to be demolished in the playoffs. And whoever places second, third and fourth could be looking to dump the captains of these listing ships. Let's assess the job security of the four NFC East coaches by ranking them in order of where they stand in the firing line.

Chip Kelly, Philadelphia: Kelly earned his biggest victory of the season Sunday, defeating the New England Patriots. It was a shocking result considering how far gone the Eagles appeared to be following resounding defeats to Tampa Bay and Detroit in consecutive games. But if the New England win is an anomalous outcome, which it seems to be at this point, then Kelly figures to be on the chopping block. Kelly assumed more control of personnel in the offseason and then hedged his bets on quarterback Sam Bradford while ditching LeSean McCoy. The moves haven't worked out like he hoped and the buck stops with him. In three seasons, Kelly is 25-19 and has largely failed to revolutionize the NFL with his hurry-up offense and his attempts to marry technology with practice performance. Rumors have persisted that Kelly could leave for a new job in 2016. But at this point, why would Philadelphia necessarily want him back?

Tom Coughlin, New York Giants: It's strange that a man who guided a franchise to two Super Bowl victories could be pushed out the door. But this is New York - a city with a short memory and little patience. That was seen in previous seasons, when Coughlin's job security was questioned. Now outsiders wonder again if Coughlin's position is safe. Three straight losses have sent the Giants careening off track. And they're now in third place - the same spot they finished each of the last two years. Coughlin has been a good steward of the franchise, and as of late has been saddled with underperforming players handpicked by general manager Jerry Reese. But sometimes things grow stale and a change is necessary to spark better results.

Jay Gruden, Washington: Before the season, it seemed certain that if any NFC East coach was going to be axed at the end of 2015 it would be Jay Gruden. The Redskins looked flat-out dysfunctional, which has become customary since Daniel Snyder has owned the club. In the preseason, Gruden benched and did his best to humiliate Robert Griffin III, a player favored by Snyder. In turn, he gave Kirk Cousins the starting job at quarterback. Since then, Cousins, Gruden and Washington have won enough games to claim first place in the division. Whether that's enough to ensure Gruden gets another year is unclear. His fate rests in the hands of Snyder, a fickle man. As of now, Gruden appears to be in good standing.

Jason Garrett, Cowboys: Of all the coaches in the NFC East, Jason Garrett owns the worst record. But he has the greatest job security. In January, he signed a five-year deal worth more than $30 million - a pact that showed owner Jerry Jones is invested in Garrett and the idea that he could be the franchise's next Tom Landry. Jones, as he is prone to do, can rationalize that the failures this season are attributed to the collarbone injuries suffered by Tony Romo. Romo, of course, has long been Garrett's life preserver - both on the field and off it. It's far-fetched to believe the Cowboys would terminate Garrett and dump his offense with Romo in the twilight of his career. That could potentially damage Romo - the Cowboys' most prized asset. And the Jones Family doesn't want to jeopardize Romo's future after witnessing how the team has performed without him in 2015.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Should definitely be dumped the day the seasons ends, without question.

This is shaping up as the worst coaching job for a season in franchise history.

He's been here 9 years, we have 3 good seasons to show for it and havent been to a conference championship game in 20 years (soon to be 21)

Reaction score
I have so little faith in Jerry doing the right thing, I don't even think a 3-13 record will get Garrett out the door.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Is Jason Garrett's job security the greatest among NFC East coaches?

Is fat meat greasy? The only job that is safer than Garrett's is Jerry's. Sadly.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's far-fetched to believe the Cowboys would terminate Garrett and dump his offense with Romo in the twilight of his career. That could potentially damage Romo - the Cowboys' most prized asset.

I think a great coach like Parcels would extend his career because he'd manage him better and run a scheme that protects him not to mention improving the performances of every other coach and player.

I love Romo but imo, he could use someone to reign him in and protect him from himself, it'll never happen but would be fun to see how Sean Payton would manage Romo.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Should definitely be dumped the day the seasons ends, without question.

This is shaping up as the worst coaching job for a season in franchise history.

You must be too young to remember Landry first season, last season, and Jimmy's first season with one win

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You must be too young to remember Landry first season, last season, and Jimmy's first season with one win

I remember Landry's last season and Jimmy first season well.

I said this is the worst coaching job in franchise history, its correct. Those Landry teams (first one and last one) and Jimmy's first one had basically no NFL talent on them. That isn't the case with this team. Its just fucking pathetically coached and motivated.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jones will probably tell us tomorrow how this was a crowning achievement type victory for The Clapper tonight

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's one of the negatives about the game. I can see Jerry rubbing his hands together right now, dreaming of a miraculous run to the Super Bowl.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
Exactly right

High fiving Stephen after the game

" I told you son. You need to listen to me and have faith. We're gonna win this thing "

Reaction score
Yeah last night was the worst possible outcome.

Winning that way covered a number of horrific coaching decisions in that game. Garrett has a horseshoe up his ass.

God I hate that fuck.

Reaction score
Jerry actually had some not so nice words to say about the coaching last night. Heard it this morning, but didn't get it recorded. If they replay it, I'll try to get it.

Anyway, it was something to the effect that he was stunned that we couldn't win more games without Romo and that the players willed the win last night, they weren't schemed into it.

Reaction score
Jerry actually had some not so nice words to say about the coaching last night. Heard it this morning, but didn't get it recorded. If they replay it, I'll try to get it.

Anyway, it was something to the effect that he was stunned that we couldn't win more games without Romo and that the players willed the win last night, they weren't schemed into it.

Wow, don't mess with my emotions like this.

If true, could be great if GB blows us out.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Probably just means Linehan better get his resume dusted off. Garrett's probably lobbying for his OC job back behind his old buddy's back.

Jerry Jones on playoff hunt: 'I look at it as 4-8'

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Dec. 8, 2015 at 07:43 a.m. Updated: Dec. 8, 2015 at 09:51 a.m.

Monday night's NFC East showcase between the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins turned out to be a slop-fest only a winner could love.

Sometimes even the winner sees the warts.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took a measured approach when discussing the 19-16 victory, which kept his 4-8 team in the playoff hunt.

"We won on will out there tonight and not on tactical mastery," owner Jerry Jones said, per the Dallas Morning News. "That's not a criticism, but that's where we are as a team."

Jones lamented his struggling offense and the three turnovers, but harped on the overwhelming performance his defense displayed -- and linebacker Sean Lee in particular.

The owner didn't directly question the play calling at the end of the game, but hinted that scoring with 1:14 left on the clock after recovering a DeSean Jackson fumble in field-goal range wasn't the best game management. After Darren McFadden's touchdown, the Redskins raced down the field to tie the game.

"It didn't surprise me at all to see them hit Jackson deep, with how much time we had left," Jones said, via the team's official website.

After a big kick return, several quick passes and a clutch Dan Bailey 54-yard field goal, the Cowboys' playoff hopes remain alive.

Jones, however, isn't dusting off his party hat quite yet.

"I look at it as 4-8," he said when asked how he views his team's spot in the division. "And won't look at it any differently as we move up the ladder, until something really special happens. I'd like to see us get on the north side of some turnovers one time. If we saw that happen, with the kind of effort our team is giving, then you could get excited about this thing."

Jones knows that his playoff odds remain long, especially with an offense that can't move the ball.

"I would have never dreamed this," Jones said. "You can say it speaks to parity and I guess it does. We are fortunate and we've got to get better. We play (the Redskins) again. We've got some tough road games ahead of us. So we have a lot of work to do if we want to keep our head up. This sure was a good feeling."

Reaction score
That's excellent but these issues were around before the 5-year contract extension so I guess Jerry just crazy.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Jason is building something special.

I wonder which will get built first, this team or Trump's wall.

Reaction score
Wow, don't mess with my emotions like this.

If true, could be great if GB blows us out.
Here's the full quote from the article cockstrong posted...

Jerry said:
“I don’t feel vindication. I’m stunned that we haven’t been able to win more games without Tony,” he said.
“I would’ve thought that we could coach it up enough, we could put it together enough that we would not have lost those games without Romo early, and we would have been in better shape than where we are right now,” he said.
“We won one on will out there tonight – not on tactical mastery,” Jones said. “With that in mind, that’s not a criticism – that’s where we are as a team. We’re going to have to win these games. We’ve been playing like this all year without Romo and lost them.”

Reaction score
Holy shit...

This ginger fuck is giving his press conference right now, and he was asked about the clock management at the end of the game with McFadden's TD. Why didn't they run the clock down, or tell McFadden to fall after getting the first down, etc.

He literally said, "In my mind, we wanted to play football at that point. We thought they were gonna play football, and so we decided to play football."

Top Bottom