ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
25 unanswered points. 14 point lead blown, three times.

Coaching and a defense that couldn't sack up and stop run plays when we knew they were coming. Julio Jones is one thing, I can forgive that, but this defense can't stop anyone when it matters.

I hope Greg Hardy and Rolando McClain get in there and murder Nick Hayden. That no-talent JAG is a waste. Barry Church is garbage and that piece of shit has a C on his jersey. Soft, soft pussies on defense.

Exactly.

I watch the games more dispassionately than I used to, but the one thing that really pisses me off is watching our run defense get gashed all day, especially by average OLs. Absolutely shouldn't happen and it's simply unacceptable.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Eh.

We scored 28 pts missing our all pro QB, all world WR and one starting OL. Our probowl TE played on two sprained ankles and sprained knee.

28 pts was a fucking miracle. Hell its more pts than we scored in either of the first two games.

Our defense was simply outmanned. No pass rush to speak of whatsoever. Not one Cowboy DL was credited with a knockdown or hit on the QB the entire game. The run defense was gashed.

Teams that give up 39 pts usually don't win people. It had nothing to do with "outcoached"

I disagree. Even Stephen Jones came out and said we should've adjusted by taking more shots downfield.

We had success early, Randle was running all over the place and that was great. I was shocked actually. But when Atlanta adjusted and stopped us in our tracks we should've adjusted as well. No excuse for coming out in the second half with the same plan that was no longer working. Yes the players were getting outperformed but it's up to the coaches to recognize what's going on and change that by putting the players in better positions to succeed. I also blame our coaching staff for thinking that dline group was good enough to get the job done.

I don't think there's any reason to hang the coaching staff for it this early. Just fix it and move on.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
but this defense can't stop anyone when it matters.

Yep.
Shame we've only got 1 WR that can get open right now as well.18 of Weeden's completions were to a back or TE,the other 4 to Beasley.Statline says Williams had 2 targets for no catches,the other WRs not even mentioned.
Makes the Atlanta defensive job much easier.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I disagree. Even Stephen Jones came out and said we should've adjusted by taking more shots downfield.
Apparently Jerry said something similar after the game... Something like, "Weeden can throw it downfield if that's what he's asked to do."

Get on that Al Davis phone, Jerry.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
BS dbair. Credit to the game plan to start the game and we had Atlanta on their heals. Then we blew the end of the 1st half with some poor clock management that has become a Garrett hallmark. Atlanta just told you in the previous article posted that they made adjustments. We made none. Not even sure how anyone can argue that or that coaching flaw.

First, how do you know they made none? And honestly with things going the way they were, what adjustments did you think they should make?

They lost the game because the defense got overwhelmed. Ryan and Julio Jones were by fat the best QB/WR combo they've faced so far this year. The previous two games the QB's were pretty inept (yes, even that inbred Manning) and neither team posed any running threat whatsoever.

As I mentioned during the game I thought it was a mistake to call TO before halftime, although I know why they called it. Still, that wasn't a catastrophic error and didn't impact the outcome of the game.

We just don't have a pass rush with the guys we have missing, and for the first time in 3 games we saw what not having Rolando McClain meant. I don't have the same expectations I had before training camp started, but getting Mincey, Gregory, Hardy and Ro McClain on the field is going to make a difference on D.

If we score 28 pts w/o Romo and Dez that's about the absolute best anyone can reasonably hope for. If that's not good enough to win, then its not because of bad coaching or poor QB play. Its because the defense isn't capable of doing what they need to do.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
25 unanswered points. 14 point lead blown, three times.

There was some crazy stat when Tuna was here regarding hsi record when leading by a TD or more in the 4th Q or something to that effect. It was absolutely astronomical, like maybe 1 loss vs all his wins (I think he was undeafeated before he came to dallas and had to deal with that sorry bunch of misfits Jerry collected). Some coaches know what to do with a lead. Ours just know how to blow them. I know I'm being overly dramatic but this is where we are so short handed on the sidelines.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly.

I watch the games more dispassionately than I used to, but the one thing that really pisses me off is watching our run defense get gashed all day, especially by average OLs. Absolutely shouldn't happen and it's simply unacceptable.

Kinda predictable when you are missing so many key guys up front though.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Glad to hear that from Stephen and maybe Jerry. It's obvious that even they see Garrett's shotcomings but he's part of the family portrait and they brought him to the dance. But, none the less, I'm glad the see what everyone else sees which is obvious to anyone with half a brain.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

We had success early, Randle was running all over the place and that was great. I was shocked actually. But when Atlanta adjusted and stopped us in our tracks we should've adjusted as well. No excuse for coming out in the second half with the same plan that was no longer working. Yes the players were getting outperformed but it's up to the coaches to recognize what's going on and change that by putting the players in better positions to succeed. I also blame our coaching staff for thinking that dline group was good enough to get the job done.

I don't think there's any reason to hang the coaching staff for it this early. Just fix it and move on.

It was somewhat surprising to me that with a QB with such a strong arm, we hardly threw it downfield any. Even if he just heaves it over guys heads, it serves some purpose.

That said, we still scored 28 pts. There's not a single person here who realistically expected that. I think with no Romo and no Dez 28 pts is a minor miracle, especially considering the defense and special teams had nothing to do with the 4 tds.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First, how do you know they made none? And honestly with things going the way they were, what adjustments did you think they should make?

It was obviously they didn't make any and the Falcons said as much. They knew Weeden wasn;t going to take a shot down the field to keep them honest and he didn't. It was obvious to anyone watching yesterday and it's repeated itself int he past. We just can't manage a game to save our lives.

As I mentioned during the game I thought it was a mistake to call TO before halftime, although I know why they called it. Still, that wasn't a catastrophic error and didn't impact the outcome of the game.

These errors individually might mean very little but when you start stacking them up, they mean a lot. That was a gaffe that we shouldn't see from an NFL coach. 40 seconds plus multiple time outs is an eternity for today's offenses. There's really no escuse to give the ball back to Atlanta with so much time on the clock. None.

If we score 28 pts w/o Romo and Dez that's about the absolute best anyone can reasonably hope for. If that's not good enough to win, then its not because of bad coaching or poor QB play. Its because the defense isn't capable of doing what they need to do.

I agree we didn't play well defensively. But the HC needs to see we are short handed on that side of the ball. I was ecstatic when we put up 28 points and thought that another score (TD) might put it out of reach with some good playcalling and a few first downs per drive to work the clock. I mean, we didn't score a single point in the second half and we started our 1st drive in their territory and couldn't even woprk a FG out of it. If there's snyone that should know what this team has (or doesn't), it's the HC.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We were missing one, Mincey. Gregory isn't some kind of established run defender yet, if he ever is.

You don't think Gregory is better than Jack Crawford or Ryan Russell? Really? Hardy wasn't there either and wont be for another week, you don't think he's better than those guys? Essentially you are down to 4th and 5th string guys playing there.

And nobody says much about it but Terrell McClain was somewhat of a loss as well. He isn't great or anything, but he is a lot better than Bishop and Coleman right now. Both those guys got worked bad when they were in there yesterday. McClain had played pretty decent first two games.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Okay, I'll give you McClain a little bit, but still, it's not like he's Vince Wilfork or anything.

And no, I don't think Gregory made any difference. Against the pass, sure, he looks special there. But he wouldn't have stopped those gashes up the gut.

Hardy I don't even consider. He's a suspended degenerate we knew we wouldn't have for four games from the start.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It was obviously they didn't make any and the Falcons said as much. They knew Weeden wasn;t going to take a shot down the field to keep them honest and he didn't. It was obvious to anyone watching yesterday and it's repeated itself int he past. We just can't manage a game to save our lives.

Again, what should they have changed?

These errors individually might mean very little but when you start stacking them up, they mean a lot. That was a gaffe that we shouldn't see from an NFL coach. 40 seconds plus multiple time outs is an eternity for today's offenses. There's really no escuse to give the ball back to Atlanta with so much time on the clock. None.

I think it was a mistake, but I watch a ton of games every weekend and with few exceptions, you can see pretty obvious examples of timeouts being misused or ignored in almost every game. It isn't just here.

{quote] I agree we didn't play well defensively. But the HC needs to see we are short handed on that side of the ball. I was ecstatic when we put up 28 points and thought that another score (TD) might put it out of reach with some good playcalling and a few first downs per drive to work the clock. I mean, we didn't score a single point in the second half and we started our 1st drive in their territory and couldn't even work a FG out of it. If there's snyone that should know what this team has (or doesn't), it's the HC.[/QUOTE]

So you think Garrett and Linehan said "ok guys, we got 28 lets go to sleep" ?

That said, the first drive of the half definitely set a bad tone. Negative run and two penalties ruined great starting position.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And on a totally different note, and back to the thread title... Love how Garrett comes on his PCs after losses and almost with a smile in his voice talks about penalties and negative plays getting us "behind the chains", which makes it hard to get first downs. As if the penalties and screwups are some outside agency he had no hand in creating.

Think anyone from this lapdog media will call him on that, or anything else? Of course not.

Reaction score
I watch the games more dispassionately than I used to

You and me both. I used to sit on the floor in front of the TV and pound the floor for big stops, or pace around the living room. Now I just watch like a zombie never getting overly excited because I've come to expect the worst.

I get that Brandon Weeden sucks. But this is the back up our coach wanted, two years in a row. I heard all week how he could make all the throws, how prepared he was, how this was the first time hes had the same OC back to back years since 1976, etc. Either he's not playing like he practices, or the coaching staff is fucking moronic.

Mostly, the not running in the second half. Thats precisely how we blew big leads against Detroit and Green Bay in recent years. Thats patented Garrett shit right there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I get that Brandon Weeden sucks. But this is the back up our coach wanted, two years in a row. I heard all week how he could make all the throws, how prepared he was, how this was the first time hes had the same OC back to back years since 1976, etc. Either he's not playing like he practices, or the coaching staff is fucking moronic.

88% comp %, over 9 yds per attempt...QB rating over 100...what the hell do you really expect from a backup? I'm not saying he is "good", but JFC man.

Mostly, the not running in the second half. Thats precisely how we blew big leads against Detroit and Green Bay in recent years. Thats patented Garrett shit right there.

They did try to run, and had zero success doing it. Then they didn't convert any 3rd downs. If you don't convert and get 1st downs, you cant run more.

2nd half series:
1st series/1st play: Witten false start. 2nd play, Randle for loss of 1. Did you think calling a run play on 2nd and 16 was a good option?

2nd series/1st play: Randle for -4 yds. Would a 2nd and 14 run play be a good call there? They did get a 1st down though, and on first down they ran again Randle gained 2yds. After a first down throw to Witten they ran again, and Randle lost 2 yds on first down

3rd series/first play: McFadden for 1 yd. 2nd and long again.

Last series: down by 11, all passes with little time left

They didn't "give up" on the run game. They had no success doing it in the 2nd half and couldn't sustain drives. if you cant get first downs you arnt going to run up a lot of run plays.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They didn't "give up" on the run game. They had no success doing it in the 2nd half and couldn't sustain drives. if you cant get first downs you arnt going to run up a lot of run plays.
I don't totally disagree with your entire post, but they ran it five times in the second half. That's pretty much giving up.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think the gist of dbair's apology/excuse is that the Cowboys simply couldn't do anything, they were just helpless. They wanted to, but the Falcons said no.

Reaction score
So we couldn't stop the run because we're missing so many key guys up front???

Uh, that didn't stop us from shutting down the Giants run game, or making the Eagles run game completely non-existant. So what changed?

Oh.... Mincey didn't play. Well elect that fuck to the HOF FFS. He's that good, it seems.

Top Bottom