Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm really not that far up the crazy tree on this.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ego-Tape/e11b2e57-0014-4032-bf7d-46e4956b53b5

Look at the 7th comment!

Clipboard01vaughan.jpg

Alot of the comments to the article are about Vaughan, even though he wasn't mentioned at all in the article.

All I saw Vaughan do vs. the Chargers is what I saw him do for two years starting at WTAMU, just move the ball down the field in a snappy fashion. But also, he did what he also has a tendency for which I hope they can coach out of him, he does take way too many unnecessary sacks.

He's given us something to talk about, at the very least.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't know a thing about the kid, but I like the fact that he has a strong arm. The deep pass has been a thing of the past in Dallas over the last couple of years. They need a QB that can throw deep to Dez. I would be happy if they traded for Mallet. Anything is better than sinking and dunking.

Reaction score
Good call Doomsday. You took some heat for it but i think this kid proved he has some potential. Hopefully he can keep it up and can earn a roster spot.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't know a thing about the kid, but I like the fact that he has a strong arm. The deep pass has been a thing of the past in Dallas over the last couple of years. They need a QB that can throw deep to Dez. I would be happy if they traded for Mallet. Anything is better than sinking and dunking.
The funny thing about this is, I really see Dustin as more of a dink and dunk controlled passing Aikman type than a bomber. One of the knocks on him is his smallish hands, making his deep throws somewhat flat. But yeah he did throw deep fairly regularly in college and you DO need to have that threat in your offense. Troy was known to hang some deep ones out there as well. Dustin actually OVERTHREW Dez on a post route in practice, with Dez running full speed.
Good call Doomsday. You took some heat for it but i think this kid proved he has some potential. Hopefully he can keep it up and can earn a roster spot.
Way too early yet but I was glad to see Dustin do what I have always seen him do. For me there was no surprise there, but I'm glad others noticed the kid.

Really my whole point of the thread was, Vaughan gives me reason to watch and I haven't had that in some time.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
The funny thing about this is, I really see Dustin as more of a dink and dunk controlled passing Aikman type than a bomber. One of the knocks on him is his smallish hands, making his deep throws somewhat flat. But yeah he did throw deep fairly regularly in college and you DO need to have that threat in your offense. Troy was known to hang some deep ones out there as well. Dustin actually OVERTHREW Dez on a post route in practice, with Dez running full speed.
Way too early yet but I was glad to see Dustin do what I have always seen him do. For me there was no surprise there, but I'm glad others noticed the kid.

Really my whole point of the thread was, Vaughan gives me reason to watch and I haven't had that in some time.

I can take an Aikman type over a QB that throws 75% of his passes to Witten for three yard gains. I think Romo's arm has weakened quite s bit over the last couple of years. A twenty yard completion has become rare for the Cowboy offense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I can take an Aikman type over a QB that throws 75% of his passes to Witten for three yard gains.
Only way a Aikman works though is if we run the freaking ball. Although, I imagine Aikman would light it up too, with these rules today and with a air raid type offense. We'll never know.

But can you imagine that Dallas offense of the 90s playing a defense hamstrung by the rules like we see today?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I can take an Aikman type over a QB that throws 75% of his passes to Witten for three yard gains. I think Romo's arm has weakened quite s bit over the last couple of years. A twenty yard completion has become rare for the Cowboy offense.
Like this?

weedentd_medium.gif

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Note the zip on these passes, and the lack of adjustments by the receivers needed.

[video=youtube_share;3sBXKL9VFHU]http://youtu.be/3sBXKL9VFHU[/video]

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Seems Wild Thing Vaughan has everyone is a hot lather.

He's the new Matt Moote. The one that will get away.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Seems Wild Thing Vaughan has everyone is a hot lather.

He's the new Matt Moote. The one that will get away.

Jerry's man-crush on Romo has blinded him to even considering getting a replacement QB in place. When Jerry passed on Manziel, it showed me that he is all-in with Romo until Romo starts getting a Social Security check. He has already said that he expects Romo to be the QB for several more years. If Vaughan develops well and shows starter ability, Jerry will let him walk because he is not gonna pay for a great QB prospect with Romo on the team. Nothing was learned from the post-Aikman years.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Jerry's man-crush on Romo has blinded him to even considering getting a replacement QB in place. When Jerry passed on Manziel, it showed me that he is all-in with Romo until Romo starts getting a Social Security check. He has already said that he expects Romo to be the QB for several more years. If Vaughan develops well and shows starter ability, Jerry will let him walk because he is not gonna pay for a great QB prospect with Romo on the team. Nothing was learned from the post-Aikman years.
How anyone could suffer that QB blight and learn nothing amazes me. It just goes to show Jerrall is incapable of growth, just age.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
How anyone could suffer that QB blight and learn nothing amazes me. It just goes to show Jerrall is incapable of growth, just age.

His ego won't allow him to see the total failure of the Post-Aikman years. Romo and his contract will kill the future of this team. A good, young QB should be in place to insure that Dez , Tyron and Fred don't waste their careers while Jerry goes dumpster diving in search of a QB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Vaughan can still be a total bust - we've only seen how he does against Charger 4th string scrubs. Lots of upside to him but you all may also be right about Jerr. But shit, if we can keep a Stephen Stinkin McGee around for three fucking years, hopefully we can keep Vaughan around for at least a year or so.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Scary Jerry opined on Vaughan:
Scary Jerry said:
“We’re going to see a lot of him these next two ballgames I’m sure, and we’ll see how that plays out,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said after Saturday’s game. “But he could very well [make the final roster as the No. 3 quarterback].”
LINK

But here we see it again in this article, a moron writer who thinks Dallas might be able to "sneak" Vaughan by waivers but only IF they don't play him too much.

You dumb sumbitch, Vaughan won't last five minutes on waivers. Doesn't matter how many snaps he gets in games. The people who would snap him up already know why.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
When all is said and done, Vaughan will get away. I don't know if he will develop into a decent QB or not, but Romo will remain the starting QB until well past his prime. Jerry and Stephen has said time and time again that he will be the QB for years to come.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
When all is said and done, Vaughan will get away. I don't know if he will develop into a decent QB or not, but Romo will remain the starting QB until well past his prime. Jerry and Stephen has said time and time again that he will be the QB for years to come.
I agree and the only way this does not happen is if Romo goes down - soon - with either a season ending injury or a career ending one.

Top Bottom