Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You sure his "fellow alum" status isn't swaying you a bit? A lot of tall guys with strong arms enter the draft every year and then fade into obscurity. Or, in the case of Hogeboom, they beat the odds, but don't have any touch on the ball. BTW, does he have any mobility?
Re: The bolded. Sure it is. But watching him closely for the last three years every game, does too.

Hogeboom. Was drafted and played at a big school. So was and did, Ryan Leaf and any number of other total bust QBs we can name right off the top of our heads.

Vaughan has good mobility but his biggest problem is he generally refuses to utilize it, very guilty of taking too many sacks from holding the ball too long. Bledsoe-esque in that regard.

In the video I posted you can see he has good escapability.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not you thinking I'm automatically dismissing every UDFA QB. Just my questioning your anointing this guy our future QB.
It was small school guys you automatically dismiss, not every UDFA.

My only actual hope is Vaughan earns and gets a spot on the final roster at some point. Might have to sit on the practice squad a season or two.

I had this same idea for another former WT QB, Keith Null. I thought he was the second coming of Kurt Warner. He got his shot with the Rams but failed to impress. But Vaughan is a far better QB than Null was.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
It was small school guys you automatically dismiss, not every UDFA.
Wrong again.

If you're just going to make shit up to try and make your fantasy work, there's not much point in continuing this.

See you on cut day.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
See you on cut day.
And with this head coach and QB coach, do we know if that cut when it comes is wise? Danny Amendola comes immediately to mind for some reason, along with a bunch of other guys who somehow couldn't crack the roster in Dallas but went on to other teams and better success with them than Dallas has had.

I'll keep that Crow in the freezer, one of us gets to eat some.

Reaction score
Yeah I can appreciate the enthusiasm for a prospect from your alma mater, but to say the odds are stacked against him.

And honestly, I don't trust wade or anyone on our staff to develop him.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
:lol

You thinking that statement means I'm dismissing all small school guys is laughable. Try to use a little comprehension to where it was said and what for. You were talking about him having just as good a shot as ANYBODY. Anybody would include everyone that has a chance to become a starter, since this is the crux of your original post. And if they had just as good a shot as the guys drafted, it stands to reason they would be on the same level talent wise. Which would lead us to question why they didn't play at a big school, where they'd face better competition, and have better exposure.

Except for Vaughan. He of the rocket arm who just happened to snub all that in the big schools for DIV II.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah I can appreciate the enthusiasm for a prospect from your alma mater, but to say the odds are stacked against him.

And honestly, I don't trust wade or anyone on our staff to develop him.
And that might be his biggest disadvantage.

It WAS presumptuous of me to say Vaughan is the next Dallas QB, for the reason you and a couple others have stated. So, regrettably and since it will make NoDak happy, I take it back and say, "probably not."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And if they had just as good a shot as the guys drafted, it stands to reason they would be on the same level talent wise. Which would lead us to question why they didn't play at a big school, where they'd face better competition, and have better exposure.

Except for Vaughan. He of the rocket arm who just happened to snub all that in the big schools for DIV II.
LOL

Soooo upset. It's fun to see.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
All I really have to do though is remember how dumb it was thinking Null could make it in the NFL, especially when he didn't have the tools Vaughan has. Homer Hyperbole at its best!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
See, I enjoy laughing at retardation. Win/win for both of us.
I'm even happier now!

I don't take having to eat crow personally but methinks you probably do. We shall see.

I don't mind being talked down out of the crazy tree, it happens about as often as staying up there and falling out eventually.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He chose Div II over a big school? Being retarded certainly doesn't help his chances of making it in the NFL.

Hey. Hostile turned down a scholarship to the Naval Academy and look how well that's worked out for him. He's the unofficial Cowboy's historian.

Reaction score
Warner and Romo both had/have strong defense reading skills, they were put in systems that fit their skill sets but the one thing that they each have that Vaughan doesn't have is a very quick arm movement and release. I don't know if you can coach that. Certainly, scheme would make a difference if he were in a system that ran enough to give him play action cushion for that slower arm rotation. I like what I saw in some of the footage but there is this lumbering quality to him that would either have to change or be solved for.

Top Bottom