ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
gotta say, I'd kind of like to see him playing for the Cowboys

some poster on another board LOVES this guy and made some pretty good points in support of him.

Who is that and what is his argument? Does he like green balloons by chance?

I don't know about Henry. He's obviously a physical talent but I almost think he's too long-legged and straight-line to not get beat to hell. Doesn't matter how big you are if you can't make some people miss. He can't just bulldoze people like he did in college.

Reaction score

I don't know about Henry. He's obviously a physical talent but I almost think he's too long-legged and straight-line to not get beat to hell. Doesn't matter how big you are if you can't make some people miss. He can't just bulldoze people like he did in college.

Henry has delayed acceleration. It's more like the Ron Dayne phenomenon: big thumping college back who can't get the through the NFL line. Force = Mass X Acceleration. Henry has the Mass but will fail like Dayne to demonstrate force because of a lack of acceleration.

No thanks.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree, Omega. If he gets out in the clear he can really run. But those long legs take a while to get going.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

I cant remember the full screen name, Poet something or other. don't know if he likes green balloons

My initial thoughts are with you plus it seems like Alabama RBs don't do so well in the pros

He made a pretty compelling case that made me curious though. Long list of stats that surpassed greats like Emmit, Herschel, etc and seemed to think he is faster than his size makes him appear.

I cant judge talent for shit and it seems like anytime Ive read someone post a long argument for why a player is gonna be a stud, we never hear about the guy again.

He had my ignorant ears curious though

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't see them spending a premium pick on a RB when they have an "anyone can run behind this line" philosophy.

dgfred

Spectator
Reaction score
Plus... there are PLENTY of decent RBs. I read that 50 % of the top picks don't work out anyway. So... how often are better than average QBs available and if the Cowboys get another top 4 pick it will likely be because of QB injury. Again. Will one be drafted then?
Didn't Romo wait around a few years before he started? That worked OK. Get that QB!

Reaction score
Agree, Omega. If he gets out in the clear he can really run. But those long legs take a while to get going.

If Dallas had a mediocre OL, I'd have more reservations about Henry. But running behind the Dallas OL, Henry would find enough room to get to the second level often enough to worry the crap out of defenses. Henry is the finisher that DeMarco Murray wasn't.

For what it is worth, Henry's 40 is faster than those of Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, and T. J. Yeldon.

There are no character concerns with Henry. He is focused, highly coachable, and a consistent hard worker. Saban love him.

Elliott is a safer bet and likely will be better, but there are those who want to use the 4th overall pick to add a good player to a bad defense instead of building the best running game in the NFL.

Also, Ron Dayne is not the same player as Henry -- they are built differently and their games are different. Henry is 5 inches taller than Dayne, but weighs less. Dayne fought major weight issues throughout his career. Dayne was a 270 lb. RB in high school. Dayne's weight angered Fassel; Dayne once lost 40 lbs to impress Coughlin.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
I did not read through but a few post in the thread but the title "If the Cowboys want to win now, they should take Ezekiel Elliott at No. 4" made me laugh. What evidence do we have they want to win now when they have a coach who still needs OJT. Teams that want to win hire good coaches. The owner / GM felling "comfortable" with the coach is a much higher priority than winning for the Cowboys.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Elliott is a safer bet and likely will be better, but there are those who want to use the 4th overall pick to add a good player to a bad defense instead of building the best running game in the NFL.
You just exactly nutshelled the Dallas "braintrust." They don't want to build a great running game. They don't plan to run the ball as a primary weapon.

Reaction score
A lot of conflicting arguments for/against Henry. I don't know what to think. Other than he seems almost useless if you get him to run sideways.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't see them spending a premium pick on a RB when they have an "anyone can run behind this line" philosophy.

Not only that but they'll pay like $6M and use a 1st rounder just a year after refusing to pay $8M for Murray?

Okay, makes no sense at all.

Shit, I'll go Doug Martin for $7M before I burn a 1st round pick on a guy who will be paid top of his position money just based on draft slot.

Top Bottom