Mr.Po

Reaction score
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Tony Romo has averaged fewer than 30 passes per game once in 10 seasons as a starter. It turned out to be the best season of his career.

Romo, who averaged 29 passes a game in 2014, threw for more than 3,700 yards with 34 touchdowns and nine interceptions as the Dallas Cowboys won 12 games, the NFC East and a playoff game.

In his career, Romo has compiled some gaudy numbers for sure, but the Cowboys' dirty little secret is the more he throws the less they win.

The Cowboys are 37-11 when Romo throws fewer than 30 passes in a game, 41-38 when he throws more than 30 passes.

Not only could Ezekiel Elliott potentially boost Dallas' running game, he could take pressure off Tony Romo, who has had multiple back surgeries and broken his collarbone twice since 2013. Christian Petersen/Getty Images
DeMarco Murray was the epicenter of the Cowboys' offense in 2014 as he established single-season franchise records with 1,845 yards on 392 carries. Leaning on Murray and three Pro Bowl offensive linemen in their mid-20s took pressure off Romo.

He could pick and choose when to attack instead of being forced to carry the entire load on offense. The result: He averaged a league-leading 8.5 yards per attempt because teams had to commit an eighth defender to stop the run, which meant single coverage for Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams or Jason Witten.

So don't be mad if the Cowboys decide that drafting Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott in the first round gives them the best chance to win right now, especially since Jerry Jones seems to believe Romo will play forever.

In today's NFL, Elliott will be the rare three-down runner who never leaves the field. He can run, block and catch.

Trent Richardson's failure as the third pick in the 2012 draft shouldn't affect the Cowboys' decision-making on Elliott any more than Jamarcus Russell's failures would dissuade them from taking a quarterback with the fourth pick.

We all understand drafting is an inexact science. Guarantees don't exist.

In 2014, the Cowboys went 10-0 when Romo threw no more than 30 passes, and they went 10-2 when Murray gained 100 yards. Darren McFadden, above average at best, gained 1,089 yards and finished fourth in the NFL in rushing last season -- and he did it without the game-changing speed he once had.

Murray dominated the NFL two years ago with one of the best seasons in league history. Put Elliott behind the Cowboys' line, which sent tackle Tyron Smith, guard Zack Martin and center Travis Frederick to the Pro Bowl last season, and he could challenge Eric Dickerson's 32-year-old rookie rushing record of 1,808 yards.

That's not hyperbole the way playcaller Scott Linehan has shown he likes to feed the ball to one runner.

Elliott's presence would also help protect Romo, who has had two back surgeries and has broken his collarbone twice. He's brittle these days, whether the Cowboys choose to admit it or not.

What else can you say about a quarterback who doesn't practice on Wednesdays to make sure his back is good for Sundays, and who has fans nervously fidgeting in their seats every time he gets hit until he trots back to the huddle?

Every time Romo drops back to pass, he's exposed to the kind of hits that could end his season -- or his career. An elite quarterback is the NFL's most precious commodity and a franchise like the Cowboys that doesn;t have a proven backup must do everything it can to protect its starting quarterback.

Elliott would also help the defense.

The Cowboys have built their team to be Romo-friendly, which means investing three No. 1 picks in the offensive line to protect him. It means spending first- and third-round picks on receivers Bryant and Williams.

The priority in Dallas has always been offense while cobbling together a defense. One or two players aren't going to turn this unit into Doomsday III. The best way to help the Cowboys' defense is to keep it off the field.

Run the ball, grind the clock and use play-action passes to create big plays in the passing game. Use the offense to get ahead early and then let the defense attack offenses that must use a one-dimensional approach because the offense created early separation.

This is the formula the Cowboys used in 2003, Bill Parcells' first season, when they finished fourth in time of possession (32:34) as quarterback Quincy Carter and running back Troy Hambrick led them to a 10-6 record and a playoff berth after three straight 5-11 seasons.

Heck, it's the formula the Cowboys used in 2014, when they finished second in time of possession (32:22) and fifth in points scored (29.2).

And it's the best way to take advantage of Romo's last few seasons. Elliott can help him do that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hard to argue against it.

Elliott would be a huge difference maker here.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Taylor pretending 2014 taught Jason that featuring the running game lifts all boats, including the defense. No, he did NOT understand the "success" of 2014.

They won't be drafting a RB in the early rounds.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He definitely would have the biggest immediate impact on this team than any other rookie.

Reaction score
Run the ball, grind the clock and use play-action passes to create big plays in the passing game. Use the offense to get ahead early and then let the defense attack offenses that must use a one-dimensional approach because the offense created early separation.

This is the formula the Cowboys used in 2003, Bill Parcells' first season, when they finished fourth in time of possession (32:34) as quarterback Quincy Carter and running back Troy Hambrick led them to a 10-6 record and a playoff berth after three straight 5-11 seasons.

This is common sense and it's not happening bc the coach is not an advocate of controlling the game or operating the Coryell passing game from a running game base. Again, Steve Young said it best, you have to want to run the ball and put effort into how the ball is run (like in 2007, 2009, and 2014) and not just have a running game that's ineffective in controlling the game and propelling the passing game. Jason had his QB make 648 pass attempts in 2012 despite the attempts not generating wins or points. Yet Jason would not change what was not working. He just kept calling the same gameplans and plays expecting different results from Romo and the defense/st.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He definitely would have the biggest immediate impact on this team than any other rookie.

Is the difference between Ezekiel Elliott and Darren McFadden stats,mostly without Romo and a decent passing game, more of an immediate impact versus Ramsey over Carr or Jack over Kyle fricken Wilber?

McFadden had 1400 yards last year.

Now I get that Elliott's impact over the next several years would be huge for us, but immediate impact? I'll take another year of McFadden over another year of Nick Hayden, Barry Church, Kyle Wilber, Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Is the difference between Ezekiel Elliott and Darren McFadden stats,mostly without Romo and a decent passing game, more of an immediate impact versus Ramsey over Carr or Jack over Kyle fricken Wilber?

Now I get that Elliott's impact over the next several years would be huge for us, but immediate impact? I'll take another year of McFadden over another year of Nick Hayden, Barry Church, Kyle Wilber, Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne.

Elliott is a 3 down back. With younger and fresher legs they'll be able to sustain more drives. He's also a better pass catcher than McFadden. Elliott would likely be a Pro Bowler and be a legit contender for ROY. Also playing on offense he'll have more chances to make big plays.

Ramsey would have a good year but without even a decent pass rush he's likely to have as many bad plays as good plays. Unless you're Deion Sanders in his prime every CB will get beat if they have to cover for too long.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Also the defense is more than 1 player away from being average. The offense has their shit together for the most part and and is really only a young RB (not taking into account Romo's back) away from being extremely good.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Elliott is a 3 down back. With younger and fresher legs they'll be able to sustain more drives. He's also a better pass catcher than McFadden. Elliott would likely be a Pro Bowler and be a legit contender for ROY. Also playing on offense he'll have more chances to make big plays.

Ramsey would have a good year but without even a decent pass rush he's likely to have as many bad plays as good plays. Unless you're Deion Sanders in his prime every CB will get beat if they have to cover for too long.

You're nievely beliving they would actually use a running back to dominant effect. Are you not reading posts, particulary Omega's last one?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You're nievely beliving they would actually use a running back to dominant effect. Are you not reading posts, particulary Omega's last one?

I never said they will draft him. I said he'd have the most immediate impact if he were drafted. We all know they'll never draft him.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't take Elliot at 4. He would be a monster behind this line but I'd trade down first.

Also, I like what I see from Booker. Runs physical, can catch, willing pass blocker, shows good vision... Could be a nice pick in the mid rounds.

I wouldn't rule out another FA RB tho and not drafting one again. Actually could see us making a run at Forte. Listening to Jerry and Stephen sometimes I get the feeling they're gonna go after some older vets. Idk just a hunch.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I never said they will draft him. I said he'd have the most immediate impact if he were drafted. We all know they'll never draft him.

He would have no impact. Can you not read? Cannot have impact as a RB based on the glowing pro bowl and ROY bullshit you posted, because Jason doesn't believe in run-first.

Where in the FUCK in anything I posted, could you possibly get I was saying you believe we would draft Elliot? I never even thought that, much less posted anything such. You are not reading posts.

You stupidly believe that if we DID take Elliot that we would actually USE him to dominate effect.

Reaction score
I disagree with the article because "want to win now" is one of the biggest factors in the 20 year slump. It is a mind set that has you constantly chasing the dragon through the forest like the mythical game Heroin Hero from South Park.

We need a QB for insurance with Romo's injury issues. We need at least one good receiver to be a viable number 2. Probably going to need a TE soon because Witten is getting up in years, and all the 2nd round TEs Jerry drafted can't fill that void when Witten retires.

We need special teams help in a good return guy as well as better tacklers on coverage.

We need a lot of defensive help. 1 tech, more pass rush, and pretty much a complete makeover in the secondary besides Jones and Scandrick.

On top of all that we are going to keep the merry band of idiots coaching staff intact after a 4-12 and complete exposure of ineptness. "Winning now" is not a logical basis for approaching next season. Yeah, I'm pessimistic, and I see another shit sandwich of a season in 2016 so I would at least like to get a franchise QB if the opportunity is there, then get a lot of help for defense. It is going to take at least 2 to 3 more seasons to fix the problems and that would be assuming we had a competent front office and coaching staff.

Last edited:

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

If they are passing on a QB and the idea is to "win now", then taking someone like Elliott fits that philosophy.

Taking someone like Ramsey or Jack does not. Neither one of them will hit the ground running, knowing the defense and what their role is fast enough. Look at Byron Jones. Good player, but most of the year he was learning.

Practically any defender will be that way. Elliott is a complete back who above all else can pass block, which is usually a back's biggest chore to learn.

If they address the D appropriately in free agency, the team will be back to 2014 levels with Elliott, no question in my mind.

We will probably just take "Dazed and Confused" Bosa though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

McFadden was better than almost anyone expected last year, no question.

But McFadden will be 29 before the season starts and has an injury plagued career. Expecting that he will duplicate last years results is probably wishful thinking.

McFadden is a quality player, but Elliott has a chance (especially here) to be truly special. A guy who dominates games. I cant think of anything McFadden does that Elliott wouldn't be a significant improvement over.

Lastly, the 4th overall pick isn't going to replace all those guys you listed anyway.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He would have no impact. Can you not read? Cannot have impact as a RB based on the glowing pro bowl and ROY bullshit you posted, because Jason doesn't believe in run-first.

Where in the FUCK in anything I posted, could you possibly get I was saying you believe we would draft Elliot? I never even thought that, much less posted anything such. You are not reading posts.

You stupidly believe that if we DID take Elliot that we would actually USE him to dominate effect.

Oh I forgot, YOU said they would never actually use a running back. My bad. I didn't realize that it was YOU that said it. Everyone knows that what YOU say is written in stone. YOUR opinion is the only one that matters here. As a matter of fact why the fuck is anyone else allowed to post here. This should just be your blog. Wait blog is the wrong word. This should be your bible. YOU said it, so it shall be done.

Get over yourself. Your word is not the end all, be all to every conversation here. Your word is just an opinion just like everyone else's here.

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If they are passing on a QB and the idea is to "win now", then taking someone like Elliott fits that philosophy.

Taking someone like Ramsey or Jack does not. Neither one of them will hit the ground running, knowing the defense and what their role is fast enough. Look at Byron Jones. Good player, but most of the year he was learning.

Practically any defender will be that way. Elliott is a complete back who above all else can pass block, which is usually a back's biggest chore to learn.

If they address the D appropriately in free agency, the team will be back to 2014 levels with Elliott, no question in my mind.

We will probably just take "Dazed and Confused" Bosa though.

Not to mention that since Ramsey can play both safety and CB they will likely have him switch positions all year like they did with Jones. He won't be able to settle in to one position. That would lessen his impact all year just like it did with Jones. Jones had a decent year but he could have been better if they had allowed him to play just CB or just play Safety.

Reaction score
Although there are lots of great reasons to target Elliott (3 down back, playmaker, etc.), I don't have to have Elliott. However I do think the Cowboys owe it to themselves to draft a top RB. With the OL that the Cowboys already have assembled, a top RB should be a no-brainer: A top RB leverages the investment that Cowboys have already made in their OL. The top-notch RB is how you maximize the value of your top-notch OL.

Derrick Henry reminds me of a Brandon Jacobs, except that Henry is better. A guy like that could do some significant damage behind this OL too.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Derrick Henry reminds me of a Brandon Jacobs, except that Henry is better. A guy like that could do some significant damage behind this OL too.

gotta say, I'd kind of like to see him playing for the Cowboys

some poster on another board LOVES this guy and made some pretty good points in support of him.

Top Bottom