Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Pretty sure I can go take a steaming shit right now that could give Garrett a run for his money.

Reaction score
I remember something about Jerry pursuing Houston Nutt during one of the head coaching changes. Wasn't that around the time of Gailey?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Donahue is a good one. He's about the only one I can think of, too, but that's before Jerry was a billionaire.

And Reeves didn't refuse Jerry, Jerry refused him. Probably because Jason got his feelings hurt.

You mean we could have had Donahue as our coach? Oh man, that would have been great. He's such a great coach we might have won several more Super Bowls.

Obvious sarcasm, I bet if given that choice again Jerry could offer even less money and he'd be puckering up to kiss Jerry's old wrinkled ass whenever he wanted.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember something about Jerry pursuing Houston Nutt during one of the head coaching changes. Wasn't that around the time of Gailey?

No, they were looking at Houston Nutt for an assistant job a couple years ago

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Todd Haley was an interesting idea. I kind of like it.
Rob Chudzinski and Pat Shurmur didn't get much of a chance with the Browns, perhaps they were not given enough time to prove themselves like Belichek.

I would prefer a defensive coach. Winston Moss? Ray Horton?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Isn't Ray Horton more of a 3/4 guy?
He is, but he played when Jerry was here, and that familiarity helps. But good point -- the way I've heard Jerry and Lacewell talk, they wanted to switch from the 34 partly because it reminds them of Parcells, and Jerry may not want to go back.

What about Ken Norton? Could he be ready for a HC job soon? Just sticking with the theme of former players.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He is, but he played when Jerry was here, and that familiarity helps. But good point -- the way I've heard Jerry and Lacewell talk, they wanted to switch from the 34 partly because it reminds them of Parcells, and Jerry may not want to go back.

What about Ken Norton? Could he be ready for a HC job soon? Just sticking with the theme of former players.

Yea I remember Horton from those 90's teams. If the Cowboys were still a 3/4 team I'd love for them to get Horton but changing the defensive scheme takes about 3 years to get all the players you need.

As for Ken Norton, if the Raiders have a good year defensively and the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs I could see Jerry considering making a change and considering Norton. I'd be happy with that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was thinking Norton was still pissed with Jerry about the contract negotiations in 1994. IIRC he left over 100k or so difference.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I was thinking Norton was still pissed with Jerry about the contract negotiations in 1994. IIRC he left over 100k or so difference.

Even if he was still pissed I doubt Norton would turn down a chance to be a head coach. A bigger name and more well established coach might but not a guy that's still looking for his first head coaching gig.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The book on Norton is that he is a great ra ra guy and player's coach, just not the greatest tactician.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The book on Norton is that he is a great ra ra guy and player's coach, just not the greatest tactician.

He would likely want to bring guys with him from that Oakland staff. Who would he bring as his OC?

Top Bottom