Reaction score
Since he's been here not once have I thought those linebackers look great or wow, they have really improved. He is like Garrett, the idea of him is good. Nothing he has actually done has made me think he is someone to hold onto. Replace them all.

Yikes. Garrett was never a good idea. He was a QB coach for two years and QB is the least of the position coaches. Strength and conditioning is probably more pivotal a coach. Then a QB coach whose offense actually got worse in his second year of ever coaching gets hired to be offensive coordinator and eventually assistant head coach after never calling a play in a game and with only two years of coaching experience. That's not a good idea.

I see what you are saying about the "wow" but generally the wow comes from the athlete. I think these LBs have been silently productive with only one different stud each year (because of injuries). To me, and maybe only to me, that kind of points to the position coach who organizes things.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yikes. Garrett was never a good idea. He was a QB coach for two years and QB is the least of the position coaches. Strength and conditioning is probably more pivotal a coach. Then a QB coach whose offense actually got worse in his second year of ever coaching gets hired to be offensive coordinator and eventually assistant head coach after never calling a play in a game and with only two years of coaching experience. That's not a good idea.

I see what you are saying about the "wow" but generally the wow comes from the athlete. I think these LBs have been silently productive with only one different stud each year (because of injuries). To me, and maybe only to me, that kind of points to the position coach who organizes things.

I didn't mean that Garrett was a good idea. I'm saying the idea of him..the positivity, the leadership, intelligence, former NFL quarterback from an Ivy League school ,etc.... those are things you'd like in a head coach. The reality of Garrett is he is a fraud. He freezes in big moments and reacts to the first assistant coach who screams something.

Reaction score
All of that's great if not for the Jerry factor.

Jerry is a piece of shit but you can't say Garrett hasn't had a roster any competent coach could win with. Garrett has held us back.

Especially those three straight years we lost in the final regular season that decided the division winner/playoff spot.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry is a piece of shit but you can't say Garrett hasn't had a roster any competent coach could win with. Garrett has held us back.

Especially those three straight years we lost in the final regular season that decided the division winner/playoff spot.

and I'm arguing that even a better coach, like one that has all of the criteria you mentioned, will still lose here because of Jerry's constant meddling and the environment he's created where the players really answer to him instead of the HC. As long as Jerry is in the picture, the HC has to be someone with enough power to keep Jerry up in the owner's box.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
It's a fantasy to wish it could happen.

Yes.
Jerry,Give Urban Meyer plenipotentiary powers,Walter White's storage locker full of cash,and hang around in your luxury box and think about what a raging genius you are.And never go near the practice field or hire anyone without out Coach Meyer's say so_Oh,and start expanding the Lombardi case.
There's a fantasy.
Don't wake me yet.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't think a good coach would come to Dallas simply because of Jerry.

Parcells came for a cash grab at the end of his career.

Only times this team has trended upward has been under head coaches with strong personalities that kept Jerry at bay. After walking on eggshells, I doubt Jerry does that again soon unless they get so bad they aren't on TV or the stadium empties out

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm with Mid. I reject the idea that no one can win here. Is Jerry going to be less than ideal? Of course. But that doesn't mean it's equally hopeless for any and every coach who works here. Garrett has repeatedly shown extreme mismanagement of game situations and blown late leads, and that's not Jerry's fault.

I'll say it again, but it's really a shame Jerry didn't shitcan Garrett after 2013 and hire Zimmer. Zimmer is one of the few people Jerry knows but who still has the stones to tell Jerry to eff off when necessary. And who would at least chew the hell out of players and enforce some discipline on the practice field.

Hell, if Jerry got too out of hand, Zimmer would probably even draw a line in the sand and dare Jerry to fire him. Garrett would never do such a thing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think it's about who can win here. It's about what coach can we attract given Jerry's control? Jerry's control isn't an excuse of Garrett's mismanagement of the team on many levels. It's a fact that we have to deal with in attracting someone who can do enough with the talent (and lack of depth) that Jerry the GM brings.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think attracting a good coach is the issue. Jerry got Parcells when he wanted him. These guys hear about Jerry but all have huge egos, so they think they can work with him.

The problem might be Jerry hiring a real coach with some credibility in the league and not another lackey who will feel beholden to him like Garrett does. But if things got bad enough, I do believe Jerry would hire a proven coach and not another Campo. And things will have to get pretty bad for Jerry to get rid of Garrett in the first place. So that's why I have some hope going for the future.

Reaction score
I don't think attracting a good coach is the issue. Jerry got Parcells when he wanted him. These guys hear about Jerry but all have huge egos, so they think they can work with him.

The problem might be Jerry hiring a real coach with some credibility in the league and not another lackey who will feel beholden to him like Garrett does. But if things got bad enough, I do believe Jerry would hire a proven coach and not another Campo. And things will have to get pretty bad for Jerry to get rid of Garrett in the first place. So that's why I have some hope going for the future.
When he brought Parcells in they negotiated the amount of credit Jones would receive in the contract. In my opinion, any respectable coach would snicker at that and move on. The theory that Parcells was only interested in a cash grab would be a reason that he would agree to something like that. We've got a history of coaches here after Jimmy who didn't have NFL experience, skins on the wall, or the stones to stand up to Jerry... other than Parcells. He's the anomaly.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well... Parcells didn't snicker and move on. And other coaches like cash, too.

Again, I'm not saying Jerry couldn't hire another Garrett. He could. But he also could hire a good coach. I'm not aware of his having a record of being turned down by good coaches when he really wanted them.

Reaction score
Only time I recall a coach turning Jerry down - and I might have the details mixed up - was when we pursued a college coach (UCLA, Donahue maybe the name?) before we hired Gailey.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Only time I recall a coach turning Jerry down - and I might have the details mixed up - was when we pursued a college coach (UCLA, Donahue maybe the name?) before we hired Gailey.

Yeah, Terry Donahue who was Aikman's coach at UCLA and was highly regarded in the college ranks at the time.

Reportedly he had agreed to come here, then reneged after Jones offered so little money and no control over the assistant coaches.

Reaction score
What about Dan Reeves? That wasn't even a head coaching job. He refused to be an advisor because he wasn't going to be heard.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Donahue is a good one. He's about the only one I can think of, too, but that's before Jerry was a billionaire.

And Reeves didn't refuse Jerry, Jerry refused him. Probably because Jason got his feelings hurt.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bill Cowher has come out and said he could never work for Jerry.

Top Bottom