theogt

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me like I'm a 6 year old why high deficits (particularly during a recession) are bad?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If I had a 6 year old that asked me that, I'd probably spank his ass and tell him cuz daddy said so.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Greece has spent years letting folks retire at early ages and live on "pensions" which is just a funny way of saying for free. Their population has grown old and there isn't enough young folks to pay for the older folks way of life. Instead of the older folks, when asked to by the men in charge of the Country if they would either find jobs or take less money, saying, ok. They said no, the Grecian GDP which is just a fancy way of saying, how much money they make in a year as a whole has gone down over and over to the point that other Countries are now having to pay for their mistakes while their own folks are still saying, no way jose. I still want my pension.

If this doesn't sound similar to where the US is heading. Then I'd say you need to stop acting like a 6 year old. Put on your adult diaper and go read about our economy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me like I'm a 6 year old why high deficits (particularly during a recession) are bad?

I guess if you have a government that thinks it can just keep printing money, high deficits arnt bad.

Once you get past the realization that you cant just keep printing money, the reason high deficits are bad are obvious. Eventually somebody has to pay for it.

Reaction score
Explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old. What happened to Greece that is in danger of happening to the US?

Just do like Obama does...forget about it and go outside and play.

photo_1313005133565-1-0.jpg

theogt

Reaction score
I guess if you have a government that thinks it can just keep printing money, high deficits arnt bad.

Once you get past the realization that you cant just keep printing money, the reason high deficits are bad are obvious. Eventually somebody has to pay for it.
If the reasons are obvious, please explain them to me.

theogt

Reaction score
You mean, why is it bad to spend more money than you have?
Yes, why is that bad? I can think of many reasons why it's a good thing. Many successful businesses constantly take on additional debt.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, why is that bad? I can think of many reasons why it's a good thing. Many successful businesses constantly take on additional debt.

And what happens to said busnesses when they can never pay it back?

Come on Theo, you are smarter than this.

Reaction score
Guess it depends on your debt-to-income ratio. It's not bad to have any debt at all. It's bad to pile up debt until you become insolvent. And when you continue to borrow and spend beyond your means after you are insolvent, then you're looking at a disaster.

theogt

Reaction score
And what happens to said busnesses when they can never pay it back?

Come on Theo, you are smarter than this.
Many successful businesses will constantly run large amounts of debt in perpetuity. It's not that they can't pay it back (though most cannot pay it back but can only refinance it) it's that they don't want to pay it back because it's a bad business decision to do so.

Are you suggesting that the U.S. cannot service its debt?

theogt

Reaction score
Guess it depends on your debt-to-income ratio. It's not bad to have any debt at all. It's bad to pile up debt until you become insolvent. And when you continue to borrow and spend beyond your means after you are insolvent, then you're looking at a disaster.
So, the U.S. is in danger of being insolvent?

Reaction score
So, the U.S. is in danger of being insolvent?
We had to raise the debt ceiling a couple of weeks ago, or we were going to start defaulting on loans. Borrowing money for no purpose other than to pay back other debts doesn't appeal to me much. Personally, I just don't think that's a good way to do business. Admittedly I'm not a business expert.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Many successful businesses will constantly run large amounts of debt in perpetuity. It's not that they can't pay it back (though most cannot pay it back but can only refinance it) it's that they don't want to pay it back because it's a bad business decision to do so.

Are you suggesting that the U.S. cannot service its debt?

Are you ok with paying ridiculously higher taxes?

theogt

Reaction score
We had to raise the debt ceiling a couple of weeks ago, or we were going to start defaulting on loans. Borrowing money for no purpose other than to pay back other debts doesn't appeal to me much. Personally, I just don't think that's a good way to do business. Admittedly I'm not a business expert.
The U.S. Raises its debt ceiling all the time. That may or may not be a bad thing. If it's a bad thing, I'm asking why.

Are you ok with paying ridiculously higher taxes?
But tax revenues are at all time lows. That's the single biggest reason there are high deficits.

Top Bottom