Grade the Cowboys performance in the draft through round 3

• Total voters

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Haha...

I hope you aren't right, but one thing I don't like about this draft is all the emphasis on offense. The message is clear that they thought the only problem on defense was coaching while the offense simply didn't have enough talent.

I don't agree with that at all and it's scary that JJ could be thinking it.

I agree with it. We never dedicate resources like this to offense.

We have dedicated everything to defense for years. Finally making an effort to give players to the offense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd say B or C for now. Obviously we can still do some stuff tomorrow that might help or hurt a little.

Still a little disappointed in the value we got in the trade down last night, but we are adding good players to a team that needs more good players.

To me this draft is more about how good Frederick is and how fast. If he emerges as a really solid day one starter, that's a HUGE upgrade over what we had. If he is just slightly better than whomever he replaces, then the draft doesn't look so good this year. Also will be interesting to see what adjustments they make to the passing game to accommodate/integrate Escobar and Williams

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I agree with it. We never dedicate resources like this to offense.

We have dedicated everything to defense for years. Finally making an effort to give players to the offense.

For a while all our #1s were on defense, but we did use firsts on Roy Williams (and a 3rd), Felix, Dez, and Tyron the last five years. That's hardly neglect.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
For a while all our #1s were on defense, but we did use firsts on Roy Williams (and a 3rd), Felix, Dez, and Tyron the last five years. That's hardly neglect.

In 07 during the season we had 7 1's on defense and none on offense.

Now we will have smith, Frederick, Dez, Murray, Williams, as picks in the first three rounds. Finally getting the help on that side of the ball.

Need more lineman next year to keep building. This will be a young group, finally to work together.

Reaction score
In 07 during the season we had 7 1's on defense and none on offense.

Now we will have smith, Frederick, Dez, Murray, Williams, as picks in the first three rounds. Finally getting the help on that side of the ball.

Need more lineman next year to keep building. This will be a young group, finally to work together.
Are you just referring to 1st rounders or are you also including 2nd and 3rds?

I wouldn't say we've neglected the offense at all over the past few years if we're comparing apples to apples. And I don't think anyone's complaining we went OL in the 1st round.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
C.

Just didn't get guys who are going to contribute as much as another OL would have.

The safety and the OL are the two picks I like the most because they're probably hands down already better than Costa and Will Allen.....or whoever the fuck they were going to roll out there.

TE and WR were just stupid.

I was pretty bummed at reaching for an OL but shit, that's an afterthought now.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That would be the equivalent of Dallas hitting the lottery. You should pray he's even half as good as those guys.

Yeah, the comparisons are a joke.

"Lemme pick the best case scenario that other teams have gotten while ignoring the rather worst case (Fasano) and less than average (Bennett) results from this team".

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I say C as well...for the exact same reasons. And I actually love the WR and TE as players and fits on this team...just don't see enough day 1 contribution

Reaction score
I thought they addressed needs and were looking ahead. Some of you guys don’t have the ability to look down the road, you are only looking at today and this season. I gave a C based on value but at the end of the day that means little if they can contribute. All teams don’t hit on all of them. Sometimes the fucking draft doesn’t fall exactly like you want. It’s a crap shoot. A little perspective is needed to make logical conclusions.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm gonna say C so far... I feel like we reached on several players (obviously) but they were need picks. Best center in the draft and I love the player... trying to not think about where we took him tho. I realllllly like the Williams pick. Altho I didn't feel the need for WR was there.. just like the prospect a lot. He will be our #2 of the future. Definitely didn't get the Escobar pick. Like the majority of Cowboys fans I'm SICK of 2nd round TEs that we do absolutely nothing with. This guy better be Witten part 2 in my eyes or else this pick should have NEVER happened. The safety.. I'm up in the air about and really don't know anything about. Hoping he's something for us.

Still excited about the rest of the draft. Would like to see RB addressed I feel like the value is definitely there in the 4th. Also, a strong side LBer and maybe a real 1 tech or another safety. Would always welcome more OLine picks. If we could knock just a couple of those out I'd be happy.

Reaction score
Haha...

I hope you aren't right, but one thing I don't like about this draft is all the emphasis on offense. The message is clear that they thought the only problem on defense was coaching while the offense simply didn't have enough talent.

I don't agree with that at all and it's scary that JJ could be thinking it.

We somehow keep getting better and better defensive coaches with each firing

Reaction score
I'd say B or C for now. Obviously we can still do some stuff tomorrow that might help or hurt a little.

Still a little disappointed in the value we got in the trade down last night, but we are adding good players to a team that needs more good players.

To me this draft is more about how good Frederick is and how fast. If he emerges as a really solid day one starter, that's a HUGE upgrade over what we had. If he is just slightly better than whomever he replaces, then the draft doesn't look so good this year. Also will be interesting to see what adjustments they make to the passing game to accommodate/integrate Escobar and Williams

I agree with this. Like they could've played the draft better and they know that by their perturbed reactions.

If they had their way what....
1. Sly williams
2. Fredrick
3. Vance McDonald
4. Terrence Williams

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm not upset with the picks. The Randle pick I wasn't thrilled about, thought we should've taken Gillislee or Ellington.

Also wanted Phillip Thomas over Wilcox at that point of the draft. Escobar and Williams were sweet picks. Travis Frederick will be a starter so I'm good with that. Webb will push Scandrick for the nickel so that's a win win.

I'm just a little upset we didn't address the OL and DL's more and another safety.

Reaction score
Speed or excitement at RB means that running plays have to be called. So Wilber goes to DE and Holloman is strong side.

I like the Holloman (wasn't that a Kevin Bacon movie?) pick though. I bet he can play WR and return kicks like everyone else.

Top Bottom