dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I do too. When Tiger does well, golf does well. Personally, I like Phil. But Tiger being successful is good for golf, and when he's on his game he's incredible.

Golf is good whether Tiger is around or not

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
I've never understood why I'm supposed to like someone just because he's good at a sport, or anything else really.

The guy is a complete jerk and always has been (long before all the whore running stories came out). I think I'll hope someone else wins.

yes

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Tiger polarizes fans the way the Cowboys(and the Steelers IMO) do.
I agree he is good for golf TV ratings.
I also agree he is a world class asshat.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
For those who don't like Tiger, you may not wanna watch right now because he is killing it today.

Reaction score
I can't believe that approach shot on 15... and that it caused him to drop 3 shots. You can't make this stuff up.

Reaction score
He shouldn't have been DQ'ed... The committee ruled initially that he dropped appropriately.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, but the problem is that he didn't drop appropriately, and he knew it. Maybe not at the time -- I'm not saying he was cheating -- but he would have known shortly afterwards that he screwed up.

And as long as this game has gone on, if you sign an incorrect scorecard, you're DQ'd.

Seems that Augusta used this 33-7 "tv rule" as a loophole to keep him in the tournament.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wut does Dairy Queen have to do with this?

and how do I get DQ'ed?

Reaction score
But the initial ruling was that he dropped appropriately and the rules committee told him that he did and gave him the go ahead to sign his scorecard. Apparently there was some concern on his part or it wouldn't have been a concern. You can't DQ him when he relied on the rules committee's ruling to sign his scorecard.

It's a shame that he lost 3 shots because he hit a shot that was *too good*. He would be one shot out to start today if he hadn't hit the flagstick.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
But the initial ruling was that he dropped appropriately and the rules committee told him that he did and gave him the go ahead to sign his scorecard. Apparently there was some concern on his part or it wouldn't have been a concern. You can't DQ him when he relied on the rules committee's ruling to sign his scorecard.

It's a shame that he lost 3 shots because he hit a shot that was *too good*. He would be one shot out to start today if he hadn't hit the flagstick.
Agreed. It's not like he tried to pull a fast one by signing his card. There was questions asked and answered by the rules committee before he signed. To try and claim he cheated is retarded.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The facts and the timeline on this have been sort of murky, but I believe Ridley said they looked at the video before he finished and didn't find anything wrong with the drop, so they didn't talk to him about it. I believe Tiger said yesterday the first time they talked to him was yesterday (Saturday) morning.

And it isn't cheating per se. I don't think anyone said he was "cheating" when he dropped that ball. But he knows that in his pissed off state he conflated two of the different drop options and took an illegal drop. He also admitted he was trying to gain an advantage from it.

The obvious bad precedent this sets is that you can break rules out there and if you aren't caught you get away with it. If you are caught, oh well, they just add the strokes later. That's one reason the penalty was so harsh before, to absolutely discourage it.

Guess it's just a new era, one probably driven like bb said by ratings. You wonder if this had been, say, Jon Senden if the decision would've been the same.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Same here, and I think he or Day wins. They both looked super solid yesterday.

I like Cabrera, too, but he tends to be streaky and I almost can't see him hitting it that well two days (or 2.5 really) in a row.

Top Bottom