Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
By Mike Mazzeo
Special to ESPNNewYork.com

New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker was so upset over dropping a crucial pass late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 21-17 loss to the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI, he nearly started crying at the podium.

Welker isn't going to get any pity from quarterback Tom Brady's wife, Gisele Bundchen, though.

After her prayers for a Patriots' championship went unanswered, Bunchen lashed out at the team's receiving corps for failing to haul in her husband's passes. While waiting for an elevator at Lucas Oil Stadium, Bundchen was being heckled by Giants fans when she spoke to people in her group.

"My husband can not f------ throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times," Bundchen said in a video captured by theinsider.com, a gossip website.

Wide receiver Deion Branch and tight end Aaron Hernandez dropped passes on New England's final drive.

After the game, Welker said he let the team down when he failed to come up with a Brady pass he says he catches "1,000 times."

"Wes is a phenomenal player and a teammate," Brady said. "I love that guy."

If only his supermodel wife felt the same way.

Bundchen made headlines leading into the game when the press received an email she sent urging her close family and friends to pray for Brady on Sunday.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Guessing they're not going on any double dates with any teammates for a while...

Reaction score
Brady said he'll probably not sleep for a week. Have a feeling Gisele won't either, and probably won't be able to sit comfortably next week. :awkward

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
incredible stuff.

If that crap happened here holy cow. Nationally people would lose there mind.

can you guys imagine if austin dropped a pretty close to a game clinching catch and then after the game jessica simpson made these comments.....wow.

by the way, Jessica simpson looked like a really spectacularly pregnant big chick yesterday.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
incredible stuff.

can you guys imagine if austin dropped a pretty close to a game clinching catch and then after the game jessica simpson made these comments.....wow.

by the way, Jessica simpson looked like a really spectacularly pregnant big chick yesterday.

I was waiting for the can you imagine if that had happened here post.

I actually think it would be about the same as this. This story is getting tons of national coverage.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was waiting for the can you imagine if that had happened here post.

I actually think it would be about the same as this. This story is getting tons of national coverage.

yeah it would be, cowboys fans would make it ten times worse though. Patriots fans simply dont care about this stuff.

the local media in dallas would be going crazy.

Reaction score
incredible stuff.

Perfect CZ post.

The story is actually all over TV and the web. The only difference is that it was stated by the drunken/emotional wife of a player, rather than the drunken/emotional owner of the team as would be the case in Dallas.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Perfect CZ post.

The story is actually all over TV and the web. The only difference is that it was stated by the drunken/emotional wife of a player, rather than the drunken/emotional owner of the team as would be the case in Dallas.

why is it a cz post? Its true, locally and nationally cowboys fans would make this a story for 6 months. In Boston and the area they will be done with the story by the middle of the week. on to baseball.

thats all.

and by the way, your the one that posts at cz not me.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
yeah it would be, cowboys fans would make it ten times worse though. Patriots fans simply dont care about this stuff.

the local media in dallas would be going crazy.

imo Simmons is basically all Pats fans in one.

8. A Brazilian Supermodel Helping Wes Welker to Avoid Scapegoat Status

Two things to remember about that "drop." First, it wouldn't have clinched the game. Eli would have gotten the ball back unless the Patriots finished the drive and scored. Second, it was a shitty pass. That play happened right in front of me — I was sitting on that side of the field, dead-even with the 13-yard line, 16 rows up. My favorite part about attending football games: Seeing the receivers line up, then guessing the play call the same way you would while playing Madden. Sometimes, you can tell exactly what's about to happen — and that play was one of those times. They caught the Giants in the wrong defense; they had the ball on the right hash mark and Welker on the left side, with a ton of field to work with, so once he beat his guy off the line of scrimmage, you knew exactly where he was going. Brady knew it, too … only he put a little too much air on the ball.

Had Welker hauled that football in, the catch itself would have been on the level of Manningham's tremendous catch that kick-started the winning Giants drive. Does Welker usually make that play? Yes. Does Brady usually make that throw? Yes. They both blew it. Regardless, Gisele's performance before (the "Pray for Tom" e-mail that leaked out) and after (when she inexplicably talked to a reporter and ripped was overheard ripping Brady's receivers for so many drops), as well as everyone's affection for Welker (shades of Tim Wakefield after the Boone Game) should keep Welker from becoming a scapegoat.

Mrs. Brady? She might have a harder time shaking this one. I lived in the Boston area for the first 13 years of my life. I went to college 45 minutes from Boston. I spent the first 10 years after college living in Boston. It's hard to overstate how provincial Massachusetts is. There's an "Us Against Them" mentality that's just part of the DNA. You grow up there, you live a full life there, you die there. That's how it's supposed to play out. There's been a local undercurrent for the past few years that Brady thinks he's too good for Boston (because he moved to New York, then California), that he cares too much about being a celebrity, that Gisele made him soft, that he's not really "one of us." So when you combine Gisele's Super Bowl week performance with everything else, take a guess what they'll be talking about on local sports radio this month.

Is any of this fair? Of course not. Tom Brady is one of the greatest Boston athletes of all time. But when that Gisele-fueled backlash kicks into fifth gear locally (and it's already started), for the first time in Brady's career, he might have to win back Boston fans. (Or, at least some of them.) I don't remember that happening to Larry Bird. Or Bobby Orr. Or Bill Russell. Of all the strange things to come out of Super Bowl XLVI, that has to lead the list. How is that a silver lining? Because you always want your best guys to stay hungry. This will keep Brady hungry. Or so I keep telling myself.

Top Bottom