GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Is the reach/extension by dez for the plane of the EZ not considered a football move or are the refs saying they aren't certain he intentionally reached for the end zone?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Is the reach/extension by dez for the plane of the EZ not considered a football move or are the refs saying they aren't certain he intentionally reached for the end zone?

the jack wagon official says Dez was still completing the catch in his view and therefore wasn't extending the ball under control

whatever, they had plenty of chances to win but weren't good enough

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think the rule was applied correctly but see no fucking point for the rule to include plays like this.

If you're diving or sliding to make the catch, it makes sense. You're not geting any feet down and should have to hang onto the ball. Why extend that to these plays. Jump up for the ball, land, and then fall to the ground.

Why include these plays at all?

I think the rule had good intent but was misapplied in the Calvin call and so the interpretation of "in the process" becomes basically catching the ball, doing the jitterbug, and then maintaining control until the play ends.

It's a stupid fucking rule that was probably never meant for these plays but one guy fucked it up so bad and Mike Periera goes on there and defends that shit so then that became the standard.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Seriously. Noone can do what Dez did and still maintain possession throughout the 'entire process'.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yep. It's a ruling that makes those types of plays entirely impossible to complete.

You know it's so when it disallows CJ and Dez from making them.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
One would think with all the rules that favor the offense, they wouldn't have such ticky tacky bullshit involved for defining what a catch is.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
eh....I'm over it

hated to see the play not count and definitely don't agree with what they are saying, but its time to move on and focus on things they need to do to make next years team better
Damn. You could knock me over with a feather right now.

I think the rule was applied correctly but see no fucking point for the rule to include plays like this.

If you're diving or sliding to make the catch, it makes sense. You're not geting any feet down and should have to hang onto the ball. Why extend that to these plays. Jump up for the ball, land, and then fall to the ground.

I think the rule had good intent but was misapplied in the Calvin call and so the interpretation of "in the process" becomes basically catching the ball, doing the jitterbug, and then maintaining control until the play ends.

It's a stupid fucking rule that was probably never meant for these plays but one guy fucked it up so bad and Mike Periera goes on there and defends that shit so then that became the standard.

I think I agree with this. Maybe they did apply the rule correctly, but this shouldn't be the rule anyway. The official three feet away had a great view of everything and ruled it a catch. Replay should be to overturn egregious mistakes, not to find millimeters worth of reasons to change calls.

I do agree that in a 4th and short situation, Dez really should've just secured the catch and gotten another set of downs. I'm always wary when these guys stretch the ball out for the goal line unless it's a 4th and goal or the last play of the game. The risk of losing the ball isn't worth the reward of a foot or two of gain.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But what gets me is that the next time you see some other team do the exact same thing and please don't let it be against us... they'll rule it a TD.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score

I'm not sure the rule was applied correctly bc how did dez not make a football move?

I agree w everything else you are saying...the rule isn't for Plays like this one at all...it's meant for plays where the WR is going straight to the ground, like you mentioned

Cdgreer

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Look at it this way. The play was called on the field. There has to be "conclusive evidence" to overturn a call on field. Where is this? I don't know that there is. Where is the conclusive evidence the ball hit the ground? Not the opinion that it may have. How does the ref know the intentions of any player making a football move. Dez caught the ball on the 5 took 3 steps, tripping over the defenders leg, as he was stretching for the goal his knee and elbow is down. Ball on 1/2 yd line. Is it the same call if he catches it on the 8 and takes 4 steps? Bottom line is they do not know intentions, thus cannot overturn the called catch.

Cdgreer

Cheerleader
Reaction score
The colts returner caught the ball, got leveled, the ball fell out as he was completing the catch and going to the ground without making a football move. The colts kept the ball. Why? Catch is a catch except when it's a punt catch? Should be same catch is catch rule.

Last edited:

Cdgreer

Cheerleader
Reaction score
9bcdaea54fb33b997f3795ec71cc9535.jpg

Reaction score
The NFL rules are so fucking ridiculous. Ive watched football for over 25 years and i still cant figure this shit out.

They ruined the playoffs. Done watching for now.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
The NFL rules are so fucking ridiculous. Ive watched football for over 25 years and i still cant figure this shit out.

They ruined the playoffs. Done watching for now.

The National Flag League has tinkered with the game so much that understanding what is a good tackle / what is a catch / what is or isn't pass interference has become a lesson in futility. It's frustrating watching games each week being dictated by skewed judgmental flags and not the players on the field. What's worse is hearing the Mike Pereira's of the world during broadcasts explain why 2+1=4 when it comes to calls.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The National Flag League has tinkered with the game so much that understanding what is a good tackle / what is a catch / what is or isn't pass interference has become a lesson in futility. It's frustrating watching games each week being dictated by skewed judgmental flags and not the players on the field. What's worse is hearing the Mike Pereira's of the world during broadcasts explain why 2+1=4 when it comes to calls.

This

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
^^ Yep. Football used to be basically a controlled fight with a few rules to keep things from getting too far out of hand. Now it has so many rules, and so many nuances of those rules, it's almost impossible to know what is what. It seems like common sense has gone out the window.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm not sure the rule was applied correctly bc how did dez not make a football move?

I agree w everything else you are saying...the rule isn't for Plays like this one at all...it's meant for plays where the WR is going straight to the ground, like you mentioned

They said he was falling so that precludes any ability to make a football move.

the rule just has no standard measuring stick. It's basically a big question of what one ump verses another happened to see.

Top Bottom