LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The spike is going to go down in history as perhaps the dumbest call in franchise history.

That's saying something, because this team has no shortage of dumb calls, particularly under Garrett.

You say it's the dumbest...? You watch. He'll top that.

Reaction score
I guess I overlooked that, what was the situation and why was it so bad?

You need to review it then, because I can't do justice to how monumentally stupid it was with just words on a forum post.

The spike stopped the clock for Green Bay, cost us a down that led to having to kick the FG early. We had a timeout in pocket so if they were worried about time they could have used that instead and saved a down. As it was, it left JUST ENOUGH time for the defense to choke. Had we ran a play, ANY play, the Packers would not have had any time, and we go to over time. Granted, there is no guarantee that we win in over time, but I sure as hell would like to have found out.

Also in the historically stupid department - the Cowboys could have taken a free kick from the 37 yard line, from a tee, with no defense allowed to rush the kick, even with no time on the clock because of the rules, and apparently Garrett was unaware of the rule. The Cowboys did not even try. People might think that a 74 yard FG had no chance, but Bailey has put them through the uprights from 75 yards away on kickoffs several times in his career. That is 3 MORE potential points left on the field for lack of knowing what the fuck we are doing.

Those two things together with his resume of idiocy just confirms that Garrett has no business coaching in the NFL. Jerry really should demand the best for this franchise with a top notch coach like Jim Harbaugh instead of the fucking idiot we have now. For fuck's sake even the management has been better with roster building, but refuses to be honest with itself about a nepotism hire that has cost this franchise a decade.

Reaction score
That's saying something, because this team has no shortage of dumb calls, particularly under Garrett.

You say it's the dumbest...? You watch. He'll top that.

Not even attempting the free kick at the end of the half might be even dumber. Hard to decide which was worse.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
fuck the dallas media. When Wade was here, they were merciless on him. But yet they give Garrett a pass.

Reaction score
KC trying to make it interesting but too little too late. I find a New England Pittsburgh AFC Championship completely disgusting.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Also in the historically stupid department - the Cowboys could have taken a free kick from the 37 yard line, from a tee, with no defense allowed to rush the kick, even with no time on the clock because of the rules, and apparently Garrett was unaware of the rule. The Cowboys did not even try. People might think that a 74 yard FG had no chance, but Bailey has put them through the uprights from 75 yards away on kickoffs several times in his career. That is 3 MORE potential points left on the field for lack of knowing what the fuck we are doing.

IIRC, Bailey fair caught the punt. What would Garrett have had to do in order to attempt the kick?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
KC trying to make it interesting but too little too late. I find a New England Pittsburgh AFC Championship completely disgusting.

GB vs Pitt SB would be even worse, I'd rather see the Pats win again than those two teams win another

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
The Dunbar offensive plays and the chuck it because the odds are in vogue suck. Run it early on that fourth and one. We lost by three but left four on the field.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Terry Bradshaw caught a lot of flack for calling out Mike Tomlin. Maybe it was deserved or not. People have opinions. I think Bradshaw is misguided and his criticism is without merit. I personally think Tomlin is a hell of a coach.

With that said... I wish we had some ex-Cowboys players and/or ex-Cowboys' coaches, that would call out Garrett like Bradshaw did with Tomlin. Imagine if Jimmy Johnson called out Garrett on set. None of the soft-ball crap either.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Terry Bradshaw caught a lot of flack for calling out Mike Tomlin. Maybe it was deserved or not. People have opinions.

Better yet have him call out carrot top. Worked good for the Stealers. Only one that does is Broaddus and nobody cares.

Reaction score
IIRC, Bailey fair caught the punt. What would Garrett have had to do in order to attempt the kick?

Line up and kick it. Seriously. He just needed to earn his paycheck, and know the rules. Even with no time on the clock the rule allows the free kick, with no defense allowed to rush just like a kickoff, except in this case it counts as a FG if it goes through the uprights.

Some idiots on other forums have tried to defend this galactic stupidity by claiming Garrett knew the rule, but was worried it would be returned for a TD, so they are going with excusing Garrett on the basis of being a pussy. I'm convinced the idiot simply did not know the rule despite the millions he has been paid to know these things. Do you think ol' Bill up in NE would have been as stupid and unprepared, or would he pussy out afraid of a not very likely TD return?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Line up and kick it. Seriously. He just needed to earn his paycheck, and know the rules. Even with no time on the clock the rule allows the free kick, with no defense allowed to rush just like a kickoff, except in this case it counts as a FG if it goes through the uprights.

Some idiots on other forums have tried to defend this galactic stupidity by claiming Garrett knew the rule, but was worried it would be returned for a TD, so they are going with excusing Garrett on the basis of being a pussy. I'm convinced the idiot simply did not know the rule despite the millions he has been paid to know these things. Do you think ol' Bill up in NE would have been as stupid and unprepared, or would he pussy out afraid of a not very likely TD return?

no re Bill & Bill

could the kick have been returned?

Even so, with no risk of a block, send your return coverage guys out there and trust them to make a tackle

I think Garrett is conservative at his core. I am too and I cant change that, I can occasionally force myself to deviate from my comfort zone but my default position is what it is. I think that's Garrett's problem, he just doesn't have it in him to be the kind of aggressive, fearless coach that takes games like this by the balls.

It appears his nuts suck up into his throat every time the offense hits the 35 yardline

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

When it's all said and done knowing the rule/not knowing the rule... it should have had to come down to it. As I keep saying, the game was lost on that last possession of the first half, when we settled for the FG. We left 4 points on the field needlessly, because this idiot was obsessed with the kill shot from some 20 yards back instead of getting the easy 1st down on the 5 yard line or less. The same idiot that took out the rookie of the year all-pro RB and kept him on the sidelines for three straight downs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Beasley I think you mean.

The free kick after a faircaught punt is something that's been in the rules forever, but its rarely exercised (Landry did it once I believe). I don't believe opponents are allowed to rush.

Still, from where he was at it'd have been a 73 yrd FG. Maybe he could have got it there, he's booted a few through the endzone on kickoffs, but you still have to worry about a potential long return (Alabama/Auburn)

I think there's plenty of stuff to be mad at Garrett about for this game (like blowing all the first half timeouts, which would have been much more useful than attempting a free kick). Not trying a free kick from 70+ yards wasn't going to change the outcome. That's probably a 1/500 play from that distance, if that.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Garrett is conservative at his core. I am too and I cant change that, I can occasionally force myself to deviate from my comfort zone but my default position is what it is. I think that's Garrett's problem, he just doesn't have it in him to be the kind of aggressive, fearless coach that takes games like this by the balls.

It appears his nuts suck up into his throat every time the offense hits the 35 yardline

Sorry, but three straight pass plays in the red zone from the 15 yard line with your stud RB on the sidelines, is not conservative. It's STUPID. Not conservative. Conservative in that situation would have been to pound the ball, try to get the first down, and as close to the goal line as possible and with a new set of downs. Moving the chains. That's conservative; that's common sense, and would have been most welcome.

Conservative is not always bad.

Top Bottom