Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It was a bad play, but it's no more vintage Tony than it is vintage any other QB that ever made a mistake. The guy was wide open and he just lofted it out there to make the completion. He didn't turn all the way around and zip it out there. Turns out the DE dropped out of the rush and went and got it. If it hadn't been for a great play by Jeffcoat, it would have been a 20 yard gain.
You might want to look at that play again. Jeffcoat was there the whole time. And Tony just SAID on the radio, it was a bonehead play. You don't throw across your body to the wide side of the field.

Reaction score
He's been the only reason they've been relevant at all.

You guys are struggling to figure out why he looks like an MVP this year. He doesn't have to do it all himself every week now. Show me another guy that has to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs every week in order to give his team a chance to win.

Now the offensive line can run/pass block better than ever, there's a coordinator that has committed to running the football, and now you see what balance brings to an offense.

Romo didn't morph into a great QB at 34, he has a run game to lean on now and keep defenses honest. Imagine that, a QB looks much better when he doesn't have to do it all for 16 games.

This! :like

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And that worked out really well against Arizona. Good shit, dooms.
If you'd remember right, my comments were after that week one debacle vs. SF. And of course, I was correct in that we DID do better, featuring the run.

Again, if you feature the run, it really doesn't matter a whole hell of alot who your QB is. Eli Manning, anyone?

Reaction score
You might want to look at that play again. Jeffcoat was there the whole time. And Tony just SAID on the radio, it was a bonehead play. You don't throw across your body to the wide side of the field.
I saw the fucking play fourteen times. Jeffcoat wasn't there the whole time. He was the RDE and was rushing... Tyron stoned him and he saw Randle leak out wide open. So Jeffcoat bailed on the rush and dropped into coverage.

Somehow I don't trust you to relay Tony's words verbatim... oh I don't know, cause you might have an agenda. He probably admitted it was a mistake. I'd be surprised if he said it was a "boneheaded play."

And if he had completed that pass, people would be praising him for seeing the wide open play. You only hear the cliche "don't throw across your body to the other side of the field" when it results in an INT. And surprise, you latched on to the cliche to disparage our best player.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I would rather have Tony under center for this Cowboys team right now, than any other quarterback playing today. And if he won the MVP I'd be perfectly fine with it.

He said he would be better this year, and he has been. But then of course, at the time he said that he knew something we didn't know - that the run game would be our dominant method of operation and attack.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And if he had completed that pass, people would be praising him for seeing the wide open play. You only hear the cliche "don't throw across your body to the other side of the field" when it results in an INT. And surprise, you latched on to the cliche to disparage our best player.
It's not a cliche. It's a cardinal sin of NFL quarterbacking. Especially inside your own 20!

Everyone knows it's a dumb play.

Reaction score
Then what the fuck are you bitching about? You wouldn't take anyone over him, but you wanna harp on the one mistake he's made in a month of Sundays? He's gotta be perfect I guess huh?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Then what the fuck are you bitching about? You wouldn't take anyone over him, but you wanna harp on the one mistake he's made in a month of Sundays? He's gotta be perfect I guess huh?
I'm not bitching or harping. I am pointing out that with far fewer pass attempts and a reduced role in the offense overall, this is not the argument for MVP.

Reaction score
I'm not bitching or harping. I am pointing out that with far fewer pass attempts and a reduced role in the offense overall, this is not the argument for MVP.
Well, he's a legit candidate, so I guess your definition of argument differs from everyone else.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well, he's a legit candidate, so I guess your definition of argument differs from everyone else.
I guess you missed what I said before.
I do agree Tony should be in the conversation for league MVP though, and wouldn't object at all if he won it.

It takes a hell of a man to do what he does with all the physical issues he's had since that invasive lower back surgery.
And to that I will add that if he doesn't get it, I won't be surprised at all or in the least bit upset. For the reasons I have mentioned.

Reaction score
For Chrissakes Dooms, which is it? Are you arguing against yourself for shits and giggles or something?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
For Chrissakes Dooms, which is it? Are you arguing against yourself for shits and giggles or something?
I have been quite clear. Romo doesn't get the MVP based on his pass attempts being cut nearly in half. Such a greatly reduced role in the offense does not a MVP make.

Besides which, the definition of MVP is really murky, so that is why I wouldn't object or be surprised at all, either way.

What IS the MVP award? To the most valuable player in the league? How is that determined? What's the criteria?

Top Bottom