Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Just saw a segment on 1st and 10 about Tebow.

I guess they discussed how race played into the equation yesterday and I wish I would have seen it because I'm not sure how it plays in. My only guess is he gets too much credit for a subpar QB because he's white?

I dunno.

Anyway, they were discussing how Tebow hasn't really done anything other than be himself to warrant all the attention and that it is the media's fault for covering everything he does.

Right after that they moved on to how there's a large amount of resentment across the league because he's Christian. Skip then went on about it and it sounded like he thinks the media fuels the anti-Tebow agenda because the Liberal media is anti-Evangelical.

Not sure how the fuck that works. The media excessively covers Tebow, fueling his hype by pissing on his religion?

The dude who's across from Skip asks how the situation would be if Tebow was Muslim and it was pretty much agreed upon that nobody would want to hear it at all and there would be overwhelming backlash for simply covering. The only person who didn't agree was Skip who spouted some bullshit about people being accepting of it.

It was a pretty interesting conversation to see how they had the argument going in different directions. The media both hyping Tebow and tearing him down.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I tuned in to his game against KC last week and when the Broncos were trying to get a stop so Teebs could get back out there he was on a knee praying his ass off. I just rolled my eyes.

But overall I like him and hope he can play a long time in the league. Dude needs to limber up and lose the guns, though if he ever wants to be a decent passer.

Reaction score
Yea.. most people i know are definitely NOT very accepting of the Islam at all. Its not right, but its how it is.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The race question was why are people bending over backward to give Tebow a chance and all of the credit when he is definitely a limited QB as a passer yet black QB's with a similar skill set had to play other positions while learning he position.

Kordell Stewart was an example that was used, a argument was made that if Tebow was black he never would have been given the chance to play QB period.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The race question was why are people bending over backward to give Tebow a chance and all of the credit when he is definitely a limited QB as a passer yet black QB's with a similar skill set had to play other positions while learning he position.

Kordell Stewart was an example that was used, a argument was made that if Tebow was black he never would have been given the chance to play QB period.

Which is stupid because Donovan McNabb and Mike Vick never had to change positions.

Reaction score
Tebow sucks. That's pretty simple. Denver just had no other viable options. Orton certainly wasn't getting it done. If they pick up a solid QB, I am sure that most fans would be happy to throw Tebow's white ass on the bench.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Which is stupid because Donovan McNabb and Mike Vick never had to change positions.

Both were far better passers coming out of college, so you missed the point totally.

Everybody said Tebow needed a lot of work before he would be ready to start NFL games.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

idk He's basically Vince Young with bigger guns. The QB who "just wins". Probably have a similar career arc.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Vick played 2 years of college of college football and during his final year, he completed less than 55% of his passes and threw a whopping 9 TDs.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
idk He's basically Vince Young with bigger guns. The QB who "just wins". Probably have a similar career arc.

I don't totally agree with the original premise but he is definitely in the same vain as Young and I think they both suck as QB's.

But the fact remains Young never had a segment of each ESPN show devoted to him every freakin day and he won just as much as Tebow is doing.

Which is also a part of race being brought into the discussion.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Vick played 2 years of college of college football and during his final year, he completed less than 55% of his passes and threw a whopping 9 TDs.

Vick never had his throwing mechanics questioned either and for the record I am no great fan of Vick and thought he was drafted to high.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't totally agree with the original premise but he is definitely in the same vain as Young and I think they both suck as QB's.

But the fact remains Young never had a segment of each ESPN show devoted to him every freakin day and he won just as much as Tebow is doing.

Yeah he pretty much did when he came right in and took them to the playoffs, especially after his one good late game play against New York. It was pretty much ignored by the media that it was the Titans running game and strong defense is what was getting it done, in the name of "Vince Young just wins".

The fact is Tebow is more popular than just about anyone in the NFL and his name pushes the needle when it comes to people paying attention. ESPN is reacting to that and doing what drives ratings by talking about the guy who EVERYONE has an opinion on. It's the same thing they do with Dallas, devoting more time to them than any other team because there is more interest in them than any other team because everyone has an opinion about them.

Cythim

Reaction score
The black QB changing positions while white QBs do not is a lame argument. Vick has the athletic ability to change position and be useful, Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Manning .5, Schaub, Ryan, and Flacco do not have the athletic ability to change position and be useful. Tebow should be playing linebacker but he is the big kid that won't give the ball back unless he gets to be QB even though he can't throw and blames it on everyone else, including God. If Stanback or Randle El were white they wouldn't even have been in the NFL.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If he werent drafted in the first round (and he clearly shouldnt have been, its doubtful anyone other than Denver would have taken him in the first 3 rounds) then he probably never would have saw the field for anything other than short yadarge QB run plays. But since they wasted the high pick on him, they had to get him out there to see if he could do anything.

I would think he has next to zero chance of being their starting QB next year now.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I don't think that show even existed when Young was winning.

And aside from being a mobile QB who's a shitty passer, I don't think he's close to Young at all who comes off as stupid as possible and lazy at times.

If there's one thing about Tebow that nobody can question it's his work ethic.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think that show even existed when Young was winning.

And aside from being a mobile QB who's a shitty passer, I don't think he's close to Young at all who comes off as stupid as possible and lazy at times.

If there's one thing about Tebow that nobody can question it's his work ethic.

Tebow definitely isnt stupid or lazy, he just doesnt have any real talent for the NFL QB position.

Reaction score
It's simple...

Tebow was drafted where he was because one guy (McDaniels) fell in love with his work ethic and character.

Tebow was given a chance to start because Orton was horrid, and the fans were clamoring for Tebow, as most fans do when a team drafts a QB in the first round.

The Broncos started winning, and when that happens, you can't up and replace the QB.

Tebow is a story because outlets like ESPN make him a story.

This has nothng to do with race. It's simply a unique situation that is largely media driven.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Vick never had his throwing mechanics questioned either and for the record I am no great fan of Vick and thought he was drafted to high.

He didn't?? lol

I don't remember reading "prototypical pocket passer" in his scouting report.

Top Bottom