Reaction score
In 1990,I came to America with $40,poor english,a dream and a pair of balls.
I have partnered in starting a business,owned houses and making a decent,dignified living.

That's who I am.
No college degree.
Learned a valuable trade while serving the country.

Mentalities like yours destroy nations.

Read my sig.
:lol
Whatever.

You know how I know you don't have a point other than to complain? See the part I bolded.

You did what you felt you had to do, those folks are doing what they feel they need to do. I don't begrudge you, you shouldn't begrudge them.

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score
:lol
Whatever.

You know how I know you don't have a point other than to complain? See the part I bolded.

You did what you felt you had to do, those folks are doing what they feel they need to do. I don't begrudge you, you shouldn't begrudge them.

Then how come it is working for me?
How come it is working for another immigrant I know who holds no college degree yet owns a transportation company in NJ?
Here in South FL,another immigrant started cutting grass and today owns a large landscaping company?No college.
Can you explain those?...I begrudge those who make excuses for their failures.
Those who blame others for their misfortunes.

Reaction score
Then how come it is working for me?
How come it is working for another immigrant I know who holds no college degree yet owns a transportation company in NJ?
Here in South FL,another immigrant started cutting grass and today owns a large landscaping company?No college.
Can you explain those?...I begrudge those who make excuses for their failures.
Those who blame others for their misfortunes.
No one is making excuses. You're just complaining to complain. You think you're making a point but you're not.

What you and your fellow immigrants have done is admirable. I'd wager You are the exception not the rule. It doesn't make what you did any less impressive.

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score
No one is making excuses. You're just complaining to complain. You think you're making a point but you're not.

What you and your fellow immigrants have done is admirable. I'd wager You are the exception not the rule. It doesn't make what you did any less impressive.

Explain to me how this is NOT an excuse:

"You realize that takes money, working for minimum wage that may not be an option. Are you going to foot their college tuition bill? I doubt you'd care for that, so these folks are doing what they can to try and earn a sustainable wage."

Reaction score
Explain to me how this is NOT an excuse:

"You realize that takes money, working for minimum wage that may not be an option. Are you going to foot their college tuition bill? I doubt you'd care for that, so these folks are doing what they can to try and earn a sustainable wage."
Because it's a fact. If you are going to tell people to better themselves through education because you don't want them to fight for higher wages, then you have to understand that the education you are prescribing costs money.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You realize that takes money, working for minimum wage that may not be an option. Are you going to foot their college tuition bill? I doubt you'd care for that, so these folks are doing what they can to try and earn a sustainable wage.

why should i? cause it's "rough"?

many places will provide student loans. my father was unemployed when i was in college so i worked minimum wage and where i worked, i was able to have them pay my last few years of tuition as my "raise".

it took me years to pay back those loans but they were easy to work with and gave you time.

when i got out of college i went to orlando thinking it was my next dream step. a month later i was back in oklahoma living with parents again getting any job i could. loves country store. 3M. local newspaper. western pacesetters. at western, i had to drive 18 wheelers up the rocky mountains in the winter. uphill. both ways (well coming back it was) in the snow of thanksgiving. when i got back i got an entry level desktop publishing job. lost that. found one in dallas and came here. lost that 3 months later.

turns out i was hired to cover for someone while on a month long vacation.

moved in the backroom of a friends house and paid what i could to help out until i could get back on my feet.

eventually, i did.

was it easy? let me tell you about my 3 months at western sometime.

i can't make life easy just because it's hard. it's the hard that defines our own value. now these people can demand more money for a job that simply isn't worth it and lose it, or they can find a way to improve themselves.

the only help i got along the way was $160 a week in unemployment, if even that. i really don't remember, for 6 months. but i looked to improve myself and learn skills that had more value. i spent time in public libraries (remember those?) reading what people will be looking for in the market that i would love to spend a career doing. i paid for time on copy center mac's to find jobs that i could do or learn how to make myself a viable candidate and then i went out and did it.

i applied to be a support engineer at microsoft w/o knowing what a config.sys or autoexec.bat really were. i got the "no thank you letter" i honestly expected. i called diane, the lady who sent the letter, and asked her "what can i do to make this a "yes"" and she told me get any job i can that would help my PC skills.

and i did. worked at a hole in the wall copy center with a very sweet lady who let me learn on her PC. i bought what i could to "crash and learn". i read up on those files i didn't understand and i learned basic skills that would give me a better shot at what i wanted.

i applied again and this time got an interview and a yes very quickly. i spent 20 years there before leaving recently to find my next adventure.

does it sound easy?

they're not doing what they can to make a decent wage. they're taking a minimum wage job and demanding MORE cause LIFE IS HARD.

you can get up, or you can whine as you're left behind. sooner or later we can't keep dragging people who don't want to improve.

Last edited:

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Because it's a fact. If you are going to tell people to better themselves through education because you don't want them to fight for higher wages, then you have to understand that the education you are prescribing costs money.

LOL

Every example I listed is a revelation of the true spirit of man.
Man is not supposed to depend on others.
You are operating under the wrong premise that man is useless unless higher ed is available.
Not true.Not even close.
I have given you examples of how the will to succeed drives men to achieve.
They don't teach that...Like speed,it cannot be taught.Some have it,most do not.
You have shown me ways to defeat it by placing monetary obstacles.
College education does not guarantee success.

Reaction score
LOL

Every example I listed is a revelation of the true spirit of man.
Man is not supposed to depend on others.
You are operating under the wrong premise that man is useless unless higher ed is available.
Not true.Not even close.
I have given you examples of how the will to succeed drives men to achieve.
They don't teach that...Like speed,it cannot be taught.Some have it,most do not.
You have shown me ways to defeat it by placing monetary obstacles.
College education does not guarantee success.

You do realize that "the get an education" mantra is what others were using to begrudge these folks getting a higher wage?

Of course college isn't the magic cure all for great success, but it betters your odds.

Reaction score
why should i? cause it's "rough"?

many places will provide student loans. my father was unemployed when i was in college so i worked minimum wage and where i worked, i was able to have them pay my last few years of tuition as my "raise".

it took me years to pay back those loans but they were easy to work with and gave you time.

when i got out of college i went to orlando thinking it was my next dream step. a month later i was back in oklahoma living with parents again getting any job i could. loves country store. 3M. local newspaper. western pacesetters. at western, i had to drive 18 wheelers up the rocky mountains in the winter. uphill. both ways (well coming back it was) in the snow of thanksgiving. when i got back i got an entry level desktop publishing job. lost that. found one in dallas and came here. lost that 3 months later.

turns out i was hired to cover for someone while on a month long vacation.

moved in the backroom of a friends house and paid what i could to help out until i could get back on my feet.

eventually, i did.

was it easy? let me tell you about my 3 months at western sometime.

i can't make life easy just because it's hard. it's the hard that defines our own value. now these people can demand more money for a job that simply isn't worth it and lose it, or they can find a way to improve themselves.

the only help i got along the way was $160 a week in unemployment, if even that. i really don't remember, for 6 months. but i looked to improve myself and learn skills that had more value. i spent time in public libraries (remember those?) reading what people will be looking for in the market that i would love to spend a career doing. i paid for time on copy center mac's to find jobs that i could do or learn how to make myself a viable candidate and then i went out and did it.

i applied to be a support engineer at microsoft w/o knowing what a config.sys or autoexec.bat really were. i got the "no thank you letter" i honestly expected. i called diane, the lady who sent the letter, and asked her "what can i do to make this a "yes"" and she told me get any job i can that would help my PC skills.

and i did. worked at a hole in the wall copy center with a very sweet lady who let me learn on her PC. i bought what i could to "crash and learn". i read up on those files i didn't understand and i learned basic skills that would give me a better shot at what i wanted.

i applied again and this time got an interview and a yes very quickly. i spent 20 years there before leaving recently to find my next adventure.

does it sound easy?

they're not doing what they can to make a decent wage. they're taking a minimum wage job and demanding MORE cause LIFE IS HARD.

you can get up, or you can whine as you're left behind. sooner or later we can't keep dragging people who don't want to improve.
Sounds to me like you depended on a lot of people to help you out, yet you complain because other people are trying get a higher wage. Trying in a manner that doesn't guarantee success and very well could end up in them losing their jobs.

Reaction score
I lived on my own since I was 18. Never once borrowed money or anything from my parents, other relatives or friends (including a place to live while I got back on my feet). Went to college, needed money joined the military, worked all through college, married young and had kids, bought my own home, and got a BS and a MS all before 30. Did it all on my own.

I was laid off once and I took a low paying job because I didn't want to just collect unemployment. I made more on unemployment.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you depended on a lot of people to help you out, yet you complain because other people are trying get a higher wage. Trying in a manner that doesn't guarantee success and very well could end up in them losing their jobs.

sounds to me like you missed the point.

what they're doing to mcdonalds would be the same as me going to the sweet lady in the print shop demanding i need more money cause of xyz.

i guess you missed the parts where i did what i could to better myself w/o making unrealistic demands.

tell me, *if* you ate at mcdonalds, would you question why your #4 combo meal went from $7 to $12 overnight? would you be happy knowing that extra $5 is going to a man with a wife and 2 kids, so it's ok. or as you sit there talking to a speaker, do you really give a flying fuck about the lives of the people inside the store?

if they feel they can make a run at doubling their money, hey, free country have at it. but $7.50 is easier to live on than nothing. which is what they're gonna have. companies don't pay according to your lifestyle, they pay for what the position is worth.

so go ahead and tell me i depended on others in the same light these guys are. tell me *I* didn't make every effort on my to EARN my way into the better paying jobs.

yes, i got help. we all get help along the way. but i still made the effort to better my life. not keep it the same and demand more.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I lived on my own since I was 18. Never once borrowed money or anything from my parents, other relatives or friends (including a place to live while I got back on my feet). Went to college, needed money joined the military, worked all through college, married young and had kids, bought my own home, and got a BS and a MS all before 30. Did it all on my own.

I was laid off once and I took a low paying job because I didn't want to just collect unemployment. I made more on unemployment.

so what you're saying is, it can be done.

all i'm saying.

Reaction score
so what you're saying is, it can be done.

all i'm saying.

Problem is you didn't do it but you think others should. You had help. I have no issue with them trying to get a better wage and it makes no sense that others would. They are taking a risk, a huge risk you aren't.

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It would be great if fast food joints could pay a "living wage" (whatever that may be). But it all comes down to productivity. Does the productivity of a fast food worker warrant a "living wage"?

Recently, Elizabeth "Cherokee" Warren threw out a $22/hour figure, citing average productivity growth as her basis. This figure is nonsense because, even if we set wages according to productivity theory, it's marginal productivity that determines wage rates, not average productivity. It's highly unlikely that the lowest productivity workers perform $22 an hour worth of productivity.

If you arbitrarily set minimum wage to be a "living wage" and their productivity doesn't warrant such a wage, something else would have to give. You would see fewer workers hired and/or an increase in prices. And once prices increase, this "living wage" will increase as well.

Last edited:

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Problem is you didn't do it but you think others should. You had help. I have no issue with them trying to get a better wage and it makes no sense that others would. They are taking a risk, a huge risk you aren't.

what the hell does me working to better myself and gain more skills to be more marketable have to do with saying others shouldn't demand twice the $ cause they need it.

not a fucking god damn thing.

i took a lot of risks, dude. don't think you know all of me just by some ramble in here.

Reaction score
what the hell does me working to better myself and gain more skills to be more marketable have to do with saying others shouldn't demand twice the $ cause they need it.

not a fucking god damn thing.

i took a lot of risks, dude. don't think you know all of me just by some ramble in here.

:lol You mad Bro?

They are taking a risk too.

Top Bottom