jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Keep demonizing the poor for doing what they can to get as much as they can.

The War on the Poor is in full effect and you are willing dupes.

Good for them for taking their shot, but they won't win it, don't deserve it, and would further cripple their city if they got it.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I hope they get a raise so fast food becomes more expensive. That way I'm not so tempted to eat that shit anymore.

Reaction score
doing what they can to get as much as they can
If they were getting an education that would give them some solid footing in society, I would say they are doing as much as they can.

Bitching that they are not making enough at a traditional low-wage job is not doing as much as they can.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
What better jobs?

learn base IT help desk skills. there's your $15+ an hour.
learn a trade such as plumbing or AC work. there's that and more.
find internships that will pay you what you're making now + maybe a little more to TRAIN you to get the better paying job you're after.

learn to improve your skills to make you more valuable in the marketplace and you're much better off overall.

do you really think that because he has a wife and 2 kids he can flip a burger better than a high school or college kid? esp the college kid who is investing in his/her self in ORDER to get a better life?

you want a better life, work for it.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
IT help desk skills, are you kidding me? This isn't 2001 anymore.

I agree, learn a trade, but the construction market is still suffering. Unless you happen to live in an area where it's always going on. Like say, DC/Northern Virginia where Midswat lives. If you live in the Midwest, forget about it.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
IT help desk skills, are you kidding me? This isn't 2001 anymore.

I agree, learn a trade, but the construction market is still suffering. Unless you happen to live in an area where it's always going on. Like say, DC/Northern Virginia where Midswat lives. If you live in the Midwest, forget about it.

dude, i'm job hunting now and i constantly bypass those cause i'm beyond it. but trust me, there's companies out there looking for someone to troubleshoot the desktops. win7, vista, basic networking, learn A+ certification and you can get that $. is it easy? no. but that's why you get more $ for it. but i see help desk analyst all over and if i wanted to make $35k+ a year i could but i'd not get hired cause of overqualified and that's fine. i'll go much higher up in the ITIL chain eventually.

IT *is* coming back and there *is* a shortage for it. if you don't have work where you live, MOVE. again, is it easy?

no.

but it's easier than demanding $15 for a $7 an hour job just cause you want it.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
dude, i'm job hunting now and i constantly bypass those cause i'm beyond it. but trust me, there's companies out there looking for someone to troubleshoot the desktops. win7, vista, basic networking, learn A+ certification and you can get that $. is it easy? no. but that's why you get more $ for it. but i see help desk analyst all over and if i wanted to make $35k+ a year i could but i'd not get hired cause of overqualified and that's fine. i'll go much higher up in the ITIL chain eventually.

IT *is* coming back and there *is* a shortage for it. if you don't have work where you live, MOVE. again, is it easy?

no.

but it's easier than demanding $15 for a $7 an hour job just cause you want it.

Are all jobs really worth what they're being paid? Is college really worth 100k?

Reaction score
Military is an option.

As others have said, learn a craft. Don't want to make minimum wage working at McDonalds? Call around to local electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc. Ask if they're hiring any green horn helpers. Get paid slightly better than minimum wage, and get free on the job training. Put your time in, get a journeymans license, and you'll really have no problem finding a job.

Life is hard. It isn't fair. No one ever said it is or should be. That is the reality. Fuckin deal with it.

Reaction score
sure they do. educate themselves and get a better job. if this is the best you can do, shut up. if not, stand up.

You realize that takes money, working for minimum wage that may not be an option. Are you going to foot their college tuition bill? I doubt you'd care for that, so these folks are doing what they can to try and earn a sustainable wage.

Reaction score
That being said, without the protection of a union they may have to suffer the consequences of their strike. If they can get it, I have no issue with what they are doing.

I'd be real curious to know how many of you get a better education guys actually did it on your own.
What level if education you actually have?

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You realize that takes money, working for minimum wage that may not be an option. Are you going to foot their college tuition bill? I doubt you'd care for that, so these folks are doing what they can to try and earn a sustainable wage.

In 1990,I came to America with $40,poor english,a dream and a pair of balls.
I have partnered in starting a business,owned houses and making a decent,dignified living.
Stop making excuses.

Reaction score
I have partnered in starting a business,owned houses and making a decent,dignified living.
Stop making excuses.

It hasn't improved.

What excuses did I make?

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score

This is an excuse.

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It isn't an excuse. It's a fact. It takes money to go to college some don't have it. These folks are trying to better their situation who are you to complain about it.

That's who I am.
No college degree.
Learned a valuable trade while serving the country.

Mentalities like yours destroy nations.

Read my sig.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't have a strong opinion of the people doing this in either direction, but are they trying to better their situation in a sustainable way? It's a transient sort of occupation, like pumping gas. Does MacDonald's offer a pension or profit sharing plan? Can you retire from MacDonald's in security?

I can agree with an argument that states that the pay wage has not increased in conjunction with tuition costs, but are the people looking for more money looking for more opportunities beyond working in a fast food joint? That attitude will put them out of a job very fast, since the greatest attraction to fast food is the price. No one is going to a premium to eat that garbage and everyone will be out of job after that.

Top Bottom