Reaction score
I believe he had to leave his home and move to another state at 11 to live with his grandfather.

Alot of damage was done by 11. He already learned enough by watching to grow up and be the same person as many do.

When did you complete your psychological profile on Jason Witten?

And did you keep telling him it wasn't his fault, inching closer and closer to him, as he resisted you initially, before collapsing in your arms in tears?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dez' mom was a crack dealer who got knocked up at 14 by a 39 year old (client? pimp?), got thrown in jail, had her kid Dez moved from relative to relative, until he finally lived with a girlfriend's family at 17...

Lots of guys come from very bad situations, that's true. But Dez's is about as bad as possible. It's truly a world most of us can't even imagine.

In most ways he is doing okay because he's come this far and up to now has never had any real legal trouble. It's a wonder he was never into drugs or anything else criminal himself.

yes, he had it really bad. But again your comparing who's situation was worse? That doesn't make sense to me. Both of them had there childhoods ruined and saw nothing but abuse.

Both got the opportunity to go play big time football on scholarships. Witten made sure not to repeat the mistakes he saw and Bryant has not.

Maybe Bryant has come a long way. Maybe he hasn't.

Bu with a guy like witten right there in his own locker room to lean on he has chose not to, he runs around with choice and Bennett and plays the part. Thats his mistake. He should be involved with witten's charities and going out and helping others who suffer from what the two of them have.

But he hasn't, he is out playing the part and keeping all that stuff alive.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jason was removed from his situation at an early age and raised in a home that fostered love, structure, and discipline.

Dez's remained in his home with a crackwhore.

I don't even think that is true.

I think Dez was effectively homeless growing up. His coach at OK State said when he got there it was the first time he'd had any structure in his life.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't even think that is true.

I think Dez was effectively homeless growing up. His coach at OK State said when he got there it was the first time he'd had any structure in his life.

yeah it has always appeared he had a real life like the one micheal lee had on the wire......

Reaction score
He should be suspended by the team without question.

But there is no way Jerry suspends the golden boy and Garrett doesn't have the power to do it.

If goodell does it he better suspend all those lions and Elvis dummervil also.

It's just tiring. I don't even care anymore tbh what happened, it's just tiring as a fan having these guys on our team.

Todd archer wrote a great article about it yesterday, Jason witten comes from almost the same situation. Broken abusive home and he came into the league at 21 years old and he is a role model for people let alone NFL players.

So I am tired of all the woe is me over bryants family and tired of hearing about this, it's embarrassing and he ruined a good solid offseason and now other players have to account for this.

I really look forward to the day when he is just not on the team and hope that is soon and they don't turn around and add another troublemaker.

It is bad, disconcerting, tiring news. No argument from me on that.

My take is a little different, though.

Here's the situation -- Two people go through somewhat similar traumas. One manages to thrive despite it; another has lingering issues.

Just because one of them is doing well doesn't mean that the trauma was trivial nor that the second person is somehow wrong for reacting negatively. Just because some people are able to deal well with this sort of thing doesn't mean that we should expect everyone to deal well with it.

... heck, some soldiers get PTSD and others don't. Blaming the ones who do develop PTSD probably isn't helpful.

My impression is that Dez is a physically talented, not-so-bright knuckle head. I don't feel a need to blame him for being a knuckle head. I don't blame him for being not-so-bright.

IMO, the real problem is that the Cowboys have put themselves in the position of relying on a not-so-bright knuckle head.

It simply isn't bright to rely on the unreliable.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah his mom was young when she had him then she went to jail and he lived with his pimp dad.

Everyone handles that shit different theebs you can't just cast a net and say because Witten handles it this way why can't everyone? Situations, people, aren't the same.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He's getting a little too long in the tooth to be playing the "bad childhood" card. I was traumatized by not getting an Audi for my 16th birthday, yet turned out just fine.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think he's played any cards really.

But this is the reality of the people we're dealing with and we knew that before we drafted him.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah his mom was young when she had him then she went to jail and he lived with his pimp dad.

Everyone handles that shit different theebs you can't just cast a net and say because Witten handles it this way why can't everyone? Situations, people, aren't the same.

my argument was that once he is older he can change.

and secondly i never discounted dez's life...I am simply saying kids formidable years are like 4-8 or in that neighborhood.....and both of them had abuse and dysfunction...rating the level of it is silly and trivial.

and finally, dez should have taken to witten right away and maybe it could have helped....wittens foundation is entirely based on helping kids exactly like dez. Why he wouldnt take to witten is beyond me.

and finally its apparent from drew pearson saying it yesterday that dez doesnt listen to anyone, pearson, irvin and even sanders have tried to mentor him and he blows them off and wont listen.....woodson said it this morning on the radio, he will not accept help.

so basically I am tired of having to root for these kinds of guys, i am tired of all of our cowboys discussions for the past 6 years or so being about guys just like this getting into trouble like they always do.....

I just want guys like this gone for good, dont take chances on them and stop enabling them and making excuses. Dez needs to get his life in order but at the same time the organization props him up like he is a rock star....almost impossible situation.

my wife grew up in a foster home from the time she was 13 because her parents were losers, she was staying home from school to take care of her 1 year old sister and 4 brothers.......her parents didnt use drugs but did drink and were never around. her grandparents and aunts and uncles did not help the kids at all....she was on her own until the police showed up one day and took them all away...........and my wife still talks to her parents and tries to help them out for which I have no idea why.....so I can undersand how it is impossible for dez to seperate himself from his mom, I know that will never happen....but he needs to grow up and make changes.........

and yes I have jumped a police car on a motorcycle.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Witten is a 30+ year old married dude with kids. Not really a surprise to me that Dez isn't looking to hang out with him or go to him for advice.

It is what it is the only reason we got this amazingly talented kid is because of these problems. Whether he works through them or not determines whether or not we get to keep him.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Witten is a 30+ year old married dude with kids. Not really a surprise to me that Dez isn't looking to hang out with him or go to him for advice.

It is what it is the only reason we got this amazingly talented kid is because of these problems. Whether he works through them or not determines whether or not we get to keep him.

thats his mistake then.

btw

if he was in baltimore would he do go to a 30+ married dude in Ray Lewis for help?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think he's played any cards really.

But this is the reality of the people we're dealing with and we knew that before we drafted him.

Did I say Dez? I meant his army of enablers and spinmeisters. Are we still gonna be calling him a "kid" at 30?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
thats his mistake then.

btw

if he was in baltimore would he do go to a 30+ married dude in Ray Lewis for help?

Maybe Ray Lewis would take him in. Maybe Witten isn't wired like that. Hasn't Witten said when interviewed about like Fasano and Bennett that it's not his job to babysit them or something? I think that was in reference to the playbook and such just sayin maybe mentoring isn't Witten's thing whereas Lewis seems to revel in it.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Maybe Ray Lewis would take him in. Maybe Witten isn't wired like that. Hasn't Witten said when interviewed about like Fasano and Bennett that it's not his job to babysit them or something? I think that was in reference to the playbook and such just sayin maybe mentoring isn't Witten's thing whereas Lewis seems to revel in it.

except fasano and phillips took right to witten.

bennett not so much.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Maybe Witten is racist.

nope, hannah has already spoke highly about learning from him and being around him.

its about wanting to learn and get better via help with others. Those who take help usually put it to use.

those who dont and need it usually end up behind the 8 ball.

Top Bottom