Reaction score
Injured Giants wide receiver Steve Smith not practicing Friday

Injured Giants wide receiver Steve Smith not practicing Friday

Published: Friday, November 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
Updated: Friday, November 12, 2010, 12:11 PM

Giants wide receiver Steve Smith is not practicing Friday because of a strained pectoral muscle. Indications are Smith didn't suffer a serious injury but is unlikely to face the Cowboys on Sunday.

The Giants haven't officially classified Steve Smith's status for Sunday's game against the Cowboys just yet but the wide receiver's chances of playing appear to be remote.

Smith was not at practice Friday, one day after straining his pectoral muscle. On Thursday afternoon Smith underwent exams, the results of which are not yet known. Early indications are Smith didn't suffer a severe injury, though he could miss multiple games.

Coach Tom Coughlin will update Smith's status after practice.

Also not at practice Friday: LT David Diehl (hamstring/hip) and C Shaun O'Hara (foot).

FB Madison Hedge**** (hamstring) was at practice but not working.

KR Darius Reynad (hamstring) was doing at least some work, though he'll likely be inactive on Sunday, given Will Blackmon's role as the returner.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Reaction score
Cowboys @ Giants: 5 Questions With Big Blue View

Cowboys @ Giants:
5 Questions With Big Blue View

Things are lining up well for the New York Giants,
except for injuries on the offensive line. More photos »

It's Friday, so it's time to visit with the enemy. This week, we talk to a guy you guys know well by now, as many years as we've been talking to him about the Giants. It's Ed Valentine at Big Blue View, SB Nation's outstanding Giants blog. We posed 5 Questions, and came up with this:

Blogging The Boys: What's the deal with the Giants offensive line? So many moving parts I can't keep up!
Big Blue View: Injuries, injuries, injuries. After several years of staying injury-free, this group is decimated right now. At center, Shaun O'Hara has a Lisfranc sprain and is extremely unlikely to play. Unfortunately, the Giants just put his backup, Adam Koets, on IR with a knee injury. That means Rich Seubert will move from guard to center. That's one change. Second change is, with Seubert moving somebody has to play left guard. Logical candidate is David Diehl, who is usually the left tackle. Except he has a torn hamstring and won't play. So, Kevin Boothe, who just came off PUP this week and rookie Mitch Petrus will play there. Shawn Andrews, the former Eagle, will play left tackle. As much of a mess as it seems to be, I have no worries about center or left tackle individually. Guard is different. The other problem is these three have never played together, so communication might be dicey.
star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

BTB: What's been the reaction to the coaching change in Dallas? Do Giants fans think Jason Garrett can change this team, or is it likely to keep playing bad football?
BBV: Well, we would like to see them playing bad football for at least one more week! Honestly, the reaction is that he can't do a worse job than Wade Phillips but that he is most likely just keeping the seat warm for whoever JJ hires next. Nobody knows anything for sure, but I would expect to see Dallas play with greater effort the next few weeks.
BTB: The Giants running game is back, and to be feared. What's been the key?
BBV: The biggest key has been the switch to Ahmad Bradshaw as the primary back. He is quicker and more explosive than Brandon Jacobs, and has the ability to make people miss and get into the secondary. Jacobs, though, has run hard the past few weeks and seems to have found a role. I would say another key thing has been the play of Bear Pascoe at fullback. Pascoe is a tight end converting to fullback because Madison Hedge**** is injured, and Pascoe has been outstanding clearing lanes for Bradshaw and Jacobs.
BTB: The Giants defense is among the league leaders in all kinds of statistical categories, but rank a little lower in points/game. Is that a problem on special teams? Or some other area?
BBV: It's been a field position issue, which directly relates to kick coverage. The Giants showed dramatic improvement last week in kickoff coverage, but still gave up a 57-yard return to Seattle's Leon Washington. Every time the Giants kick the ball I hold my breath and pray somebody makes a tackle. If that defense wasn't so good, and hadn't held teams starting at the 40 or 50-yard line to a whole bunch of field goals, that points allowed number would look a lot worse.
BTB: What should be the Giants gameplan going against a new coach and a team they beat up a few weeks ago? Anything new, or just go with what's been working?
BBV: I think the Giants just have to do what they do best. On offense that is run the football, take advantage of whatever one-on-one matchups the Cowboys offer them on the outside with the receivers, limit their mistakes and control the clock. On defense that means stuff the run, make Dallas one-dimensional and then go cause Jon Kitna pain. When the Giants get in trouble is when they come up with these 'exotic' game plans that really don't play to what they do best. Of course, an early lead wouldn't hurt. You always want to get out in front of a team that is going badly and discourage them.
Thanks for the knowledge, Big Blue View.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/11/12/1808239/cowboys-giants-5-questions-with-big-blue-view

Plymkr

Reaction score
Good news for Scandrick(who should really be riding the pine) if Smith doesn't play.

Reaction score
Giants' Justin Tuck: Dez Bryant is 'most dangerous' Cowboy; players had 'security bla

Giants' Justin Tuck: Dez Bryant is 'most dangerous' Cowboy; players had 'security blanket' with Wade Phillips
Posted at 4:22 PM on Tue., Nov. 16, 2010
SportsDay

Defensive lineman Justin Tuck spoke to WFAN radio in New York recently to discuss the Giants' loss to the Cowboys. Some highlights as transcribed by SportsRadioInterviews.com

On the Cowboys shocking win over the previously surging Giants and on how much difference he thinks something like a coaching change can make on a team:

"Well I've never been through a coaching change mid-season. But I look at it like this - a lot of players might have felt like they had a security blanket with Wade still there. They knew he would go before they would. And now with an interim coach in, a lot of those guys are playing for their jobs because they don't know if Jason Garrett is going to be there, they don't know who's going to be there. The fact of the matter is, whoever is there at the end of the year is going to evaluate that team. Some of those guys that are there now might not be there next year, so I think was a waking up for them. But also, I knew how we responded when people were talking about how they wanted Coach Coughlin's head. We came out and won five in a row. So even though I haven't been through it, I think it has the ability to wake some guys up. And they're a talented football team, we all knew that."

On just how fine a line it is between winning and losing in the NFL:

"It definitely is. We came in and watched the film today and you can take out maybe five plays...I'm not talking about on offense, I'm talking about on defense...five plays and we're probably up 21 points. So, it's that type of game that we play and that's why you've always got to be on your A-game, you always got to bring 100 percent to every play because you don't know what play, what situation is going to mean you losing or winning a football game."

On Dez Bryant's impressive rookie campaign and on how he runs like a running back after the catch:

"You're right, he's just one of those players that every time he touches the ball, you have to have an account of where he is in every situation - special teams, as a wide receiver, even when he's running a reverse. He's one those players that can beat you. They're going to do their best to get him the ball, but however they do it, he becomes the most dangerous person on the field when he has the football. But we knew that, we understand that he's a great talent. We've just got to do a better job of taking that away, and that goes for the secondary, to the linebackers, to us up front getting more pressure on Kitna to make sure he can't throw that pass as cleanly, or as crisply or with as much time as he had."

On seemingly every team having a clunker or two in them this 2010 season:

"It's funny, everybody talks about the parity in this league. There's a lot of parity in this league but also as a player that just came off one of those games where we looked like we were absolutely lost, you have to be consistent. To be one of those teams that's playing in January and February, all those teams are consistent. It's about getting that consistency. And for five weeks we had it, we kind of lost it here, but we'll find out a lot about this football team now that we've again had another situation that was kind of a slap in the face. We'll find out a lot about ourselves from how we respond to this."

Reaction score
New York Giants players not intimidated by Philadelphia Eagles QB Michael Vick

New York Giants players not intimidated by Philadelphia Eagles QB Michael Vick

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin sat down and watched Michael Vick on Monday night, hoping to get a quick headstart on this week's opponent.

And like everybody else who witnessed the game, Coughlin said he marveled at the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback's breathtaking performance.

"Let's see, 35-0, 12 plays for Washington," Coughlin said of the Eagles' 59-28 thrashing of the Redskins. "Just what everybody else was -- put the pencil down and become a fan."

Of course, Coughlin would admit that Vick's historic game left him in need of a bottle of Pepto-Bismol more than a set of pom-poms.

More From ESPNNewYork.com

Everything you need to know about the Giants' Week 11 matchup with the Eagles can be found here:
Giants Center

Giants blog

"No," Coughlin said when asked if he really was able to watch like a fan. "I had indigestion, stomach ache."

Less than 48 hours after Vick became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for more than 300 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for more than 50 yards and two touchdowns, the Giants were peppered with questions about Vick. The Giants are next up for Vick in a Sunday night showdown in Philadelphia that could elevate the winner to NFC front-runner and serious Super Bowl contender.

The Giants were all impressed by Vick's masterpiece in Washington and they expressed great respect. But they made it clear that they are not intimidated by the man who wears No. 7 and a tinted visor and looks a lot like the best player in the NFL at the moment.

"I've never seen a quarterback do the things that Vick can do," said safety Antrel Rolle. "His pocket passing is more efficient and he has a bazooka for an arm and he runs faster than three-quarters of the receivers in this league.

"[But] you have swagger and confidence when you play anyone. It doesn't matter who you play. Vick, he's a guy. I understand what kind of weapon he presents but he is a guy. He puts his pants on just like each and every one of us put our pants on. Our swagger is going to be there, no matter who we play."

Safety Deon Grant has had a few battles with Vick over the years when the two were rivals at Carolina and Atlanta.

Like the rest of his teammates, Grant respects Vick, but he said the Giants aren't intimidated by what Vick did to the Redskins.

"It better not," Grant said. "A Pop Warner defense, a high school defense [maybe]."

Vick may have looked immortal in Washington but Grant did recall that the Redskins were the ones who injured Vick in the fourth game of the season, knocking out the quarterback for three games with a rib injury.

"Ain't nobody Superman out on that field," Grant said. "Vick is just like me, ain't won no Super Bowls yet."

The Giants (6-3) may have felt unstoppable after winning five straight games. But Dallas looked like they had the Giants' kryptonite in a resounding 33-20 upset that saw the Cowboys amass 427 yards of total offense against the league's top-ranked defense.

The Giants say their confidence is not bruised, and certainly not broken, insisting that their mistakes and defensive breakdowns all are issues that can be fixed. They will soon find out in what is their biggest game of the season thus far.

The two rivals will likely be battling it out for the NFC East title, with this being their first of two encounters.

Also at stake is possible NFC supremacy, as both teams try to stay close to Atlanta (7-2) and the top of the conference.

"Definitely a statement game for us," defensive tackle Barry Cofield said. "Hopefully they left a lot of that magic in Washington and don't bring it to Philly and hopefully this was a wake-up call for us last week. I think a lot of guys, and with good reason, had a lot of confidence and were used to winning. It is definitely jarring and a shock to the system when you lose the way we did."

And for some like Coughlin, Vick's D.C. demolition can leave one feeling nauseous. The Giants hope to soothe their head coach with instant relief on Sunday night.

"I am tired of hearing about him already," Rolle said after being grilled about Vick on Wednesday. "I just want to play the game on Sunday. He is a great guy and a great player but I'm a Giant. I am going to play Giant football come Sunday."

Ohm Youngmisuk covers the Giants for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter.

More from ESPNNewYork.com »

sbk92

Reaction score
Giants-Vikings game moved to Monday because of snowstorm

NFL.com Wire Reports

Brett Favre has got to love a snowstorm. His ailing shoulder has been given another day to heal.

The Giants-Vikings game was moved to Monday night because Minnesota had at least 15 inches of snow and wind gusting over 30 mph and the New York team was waiting it out in Kansas City.

The league confirmed Saturday night that the game will be played at 8 p.m. ET and be aired by Fox in local television markets.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported on Saturday night that the decision to postpone the game came not from the NFL, but the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission. The MSFC contacted the Vikings about safety issues concerning seven employees tasked with removing the accumulation of snow from the Metrodome's bubble roof. The Vikings then contacted the league.

Steve Maki, an official representing the MSFC, said clearing the roof was an undertaking too large and dangerous to be handled overnight. Maki said the employees were working under "God awful" conditions and needed more time to remove all the snow.

Maki said that the roof of the Metrodome was not deflated.

"We weren't getting rid of it fast enough, and since we were hamstrung by the wind, we just said we might as well come back Monday morning," Maki told the Tribune. "My belief is everything will be fine for Monday night."

The delay gives Favre, the Vikings' 41-year-old bionic quarterback, another day to rest his sprained throwing shoulder. Favre is aiming to make his NFL-record 298th straight start, but he has barely practiced all week. He's listed as questionable for the game, after getting hit hard and slammed to the turf on his first pass of last week's game against the Buffalo Bills.

Favre built his reputation in the cold and snow in Green Bay, winning a playoff game during his last season with the Packers in 2007 with flakes falling all over Lambeau Field.

As for the Giants? They must really be tired of these trips to Minnesota by now.

The Vikings and Giants are set to play for the ninth time in the last 10 regular seasons, a scheduling quirk that has slated seven of those meetings -- this year would be three in a row - for Minnesota.

The Vikings (5-7) have beaten the Giants (8-4) four straight times.

With more than a foot of blowing snow falling in the Twin Cities area throughout Saturday, the Giants' charter flight was diverted to Kansas City instead. After hanging out in the terminal for a bit, the team then settled in to spend the night there, with an initial plan in place to fly to Minnesota on Sunday morning and make it to the stadium in time for regularly scheduled noon kickoff.

But the NFL made the announcement later Saturday night that the game was being moved.

Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon said on Twitter the team "monitored weather all week" and moved up the departure time by 3 1/2 hours Saturday. That didn't prove to be enough of a head start to make it to Minneapolis before the airport shut down all runways.

Newsday reported on Saturday night via Twitter that the Giants are now scheduled to fly out of Kansas City on Sunday at 11 a.m. CT.

Last season, an approaching snowstorm in Baltimore prompted a Sunday game between the Ravens and Chicago Bears to be bumped back three hours, but such a switch in this television-driven league is rare.

The Vikings weren't exactly enjoying a hassle-free weekend, either, simply because they were at home. Most players live in the suburbs near the team's offices and practice facility, about a 20 minute drive from the Metrodome without heavy traffic or tough conditions, and they still had to make it to the downtown hotel where they stay the night before games.

Left tackle Bryant McKinnie announced on Twitter shortly after 6 p.m. local time his plan to be cautious: "Heading 2 the hotel, giving myself a 2 hour window 2 make it n this weather."

McKinnie checked in with an update a little later: "I made it 2 the hotel safely, it took us about 45 min, when its usually about 20 to 25! All good though."

While the delay helps Favre, it does no favors for the Giants, who now will have a short week to prepare for their pivotal Week 15 showdown with the division rival Philadelphia Eagles.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Michael Vick claims Giants showed poor sportsmanship after the game..

...when photos prove otherwise. Look what Choice started. If Vick isn't getting autograph seekers by opposing players immediately post-game, he's being dissed!

Reaction score
Giants take shot on troubled QB

Friday, January 14, 2011
BY VINNY DITRANI
The Record
STAFF WRITER

The Giants on Thursday announced the signings of seven free agents, including once highly touted quarterback Ryan Perrilloux, to contracts for the 2011 season.

Perrilloux played last season for former Giants assistant Chris Palmer with the Hartford Colonials of the United Football League. He finished his college career at Jacksonville State after starting out as the nation’s No. 1 high school recruit at LSU.

His tumultuous stay in Baton Rouge ended in spring 2008, when coach Les Miles kicked him off the team for "not fulfilling his obligation as a student-athlete." He transferred to Jacksonville State, where as a senior in 2009 he threw for 2,350 yards and 23 touchdowns, while rushing for 443 yards and eight touchdowns.

After being spurned in the NFL draft, he opted for the UFL. "I told him if he behaved himself and did what he was supposed to do, he might get some [NFL] chances down the road," Palmer said.

"He behaved himself and did what he was supposed to do. We had no problem with him at all. He was always on time and never got into any trouble. I think he’s just one of those kids who needed a second chance."

Palmer thinks with a little patience, the Giants could develop the 6-foot-2, 213-pound Perrilloux into a backup for Eli Manning. "He’s a very talented kid. He has a strong arm and reminds me of Tony Romo," said Palmer, who tutored Romo in Dallas.

At Hartford, Perrilloux completed 33 of 69 passes for 394 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. He also ran 10 times for 35 yards and a touchdown.

The Giants also signed defensive back/kick returner Joe Burnett of Central Florida, who played 15 games for Pittsburgh in 2009; defensive back Cary Harris of USC, who intercepted a Peyton Manning pass during a short stay in Buffalo; and running back Martell Mallet of Arkansas-Pine Bluff, who in 2009 ran for 1,240 yards for the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League.

Other signings include offensive lineman Ikechuku Ndukwe of Northwestern, who has appeared in 33 NFL games with five teams; defensive end Ayanga Okpokowuruk of Duke, who finished last season on the Giants’ practice squad; and wide receiver Todd Watkins of BYU, who had eight catches for 90 yards in two seasons with Oakland.

Reaction score
Giants' center Shaun O'Hara has first of two foot surgeries

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports that Giants' center Shaun O'Hara underwent surgery yesterday to have a screw placed in his injured foot. This is the first of two surgeries scheduled for the 33-year-old O'Hara, as doctors will soon repair damage to his left ankle and achilles.

The 11-year veteran needed the surgeries after missing 10 games last season, first with bursitis in his left ankle caused by a bone chip that is embedded in his Achilles tendon, and then with a Lisfranc sprain in his right foot. According to the source familiar with O’Hara’s situation, doctors decided to put the screw in the foot first to make sure that heals properly.

Once doctors are convinced it has healed, they will "clean out" his left ankle.

O’Hara’s timetable for a recovery isn’t completely clear, but the source said the hope is he would be ready for the start of the Giants’ spring mini-camp in June - - assuming the players aren’t still locked out by owners then.

O’Hara was bothered by injuries all year long, dating back to early August. Team doctors first diagnosed his problem as tendonosis of his left Achilles. But in early October, after missing his first two games, O’Hara sought a second opinion. That’s when the bone chip was discovered and the diagnosis was changed to bursitis of his ankle.

Two weeks later, O’Hara returned and played two games, but in the process he suffered the Lisfranc sprain in his foot. He ended up playing only two more games the rest of the way - - both in December.

O’Hara turns 34 in June and is under contract through next season. Given his age and health concerns, though, it’s not a lock he’ll be back next season. He’s due to make a salary of $3.45 million in 2011, so his future could be determined by the size of the salary cap and the details of the next collective bargaining agreement between the players’ union and the NFL.

Reaction score
Brandon Jacobs: Plaxico Burress can put New York Giants back on top

Brandon Jacobs touts Plaxico Burress

NEW YORK -- Brandon Jacobs knows exactly how the New York Giants can get back to the playoffs and return to title contender status.

The Giants running back said the team should bring back Plaxico Burress once he is released from prison in June.

Jacobs agreed with teammate Osi Umenyiora, who said the Giants have not been the same team since Burress accidentally shot himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub on Nov. 28, 2008. Burress was sentenced to two years in prison on gun charges in 2009. The Giants have missed the playoffs the past two seasons without him.

Giants blog
Looking for more information on Big Blue? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

"No question," Jacobs said by telephone from Orlando while attending ESPN The Weekend. "If Plax comes back, that puts us back at the top of the league, ASAP, no question.

"He's a dominating wideout and we have a great running game, we have Hakeem Nicks. ... I think it's great if we can add Plax and make things happen. Actually I think we can kill people in the National Football League with that style of football."

General manager Jerry Reese has said that he will contact Burress shortly after he is released and investigate the possibility of the receiver playing for the team like he would in any free-agent situation. Coach Tom Coughlin said last week at the NFL scouting combine that he hasn't spent much time thinking of or talking about a Plaxico reunion and didn't want to say much else about the issue.

Jacobs also has his own future to worry about. He has two years remaining on his contract and is slated to earn $4.65 million in 2011 and $4.9 million in 2012. Reese has said that re-signing starting running back Ahmad Bradshaw is a top priority.

"The whole thing with Ahmad and me, I want to be a Giant, no question about it," Jacobs said. "But it is a business and I want to be able to play with Ahmad and play with the Giants, but I don't know what is in store, I don't know what is going to happen. So I keep my fingers crossed and work out as hard as I can and hope I am a Giant next year."

Jacobs said he would be open to the idea of a paycut as long as it is fair to him and his family.

"Nothing is going to happen until the CBA stuff gets done," Jacobs said. "And if they happen to ask to take the pay cut and it is an unnecessary amount, then absolutely not. But other than that, if it is something that can be done, then yes, then whatever is going to get the team going and winning."

"But once you take off an astronomical amount, that is not going to happen," he continued. "I'd be open to it as long as it is fair to me."

One thing Jacobs doesn't want to consider is the idea of Burress, another of his best friends, making his comeback elsewhere. Both Jacobs and Umenyiora believe the wide receiver, who turns 34 in August, is poised for a big comeback despite not having played in a game since November 2008.

"He wants to play football," Jacobs said. "He has other options, no doubt about that which I knew would happen. He doesn't have to come back to the Giants, if the Giants don't want him. ... Then he can go somewhere else and that somewhere else, the Giants may not like, whether someone else may care or not."

Quarterback Eli Manning has said that if the Giants believe Burress will come back focused and committed, it could be a good thing for the team. While Burress played through injuries, he reportedly was fined numerous times for violating team rules.

Jacobs believes Burress, though, will return a "changed" man.

"I talk to Plax every week, sometimes two, three times a week," Jacobs said. "He is a changed person. He knows what he's done, he has served his time for it, he has paid his debt to society and now he is out to start a new career and take care of his family."

Jacobs, who sometimes wore a "Free Plaxico" shirt in the locker room during the season, just hopes Burress writes his next chapter with the Giants.

"I think our peers are all open to getting him back," Jacobs said of his teammates. "I don't know what the opinion is high up [in the front office]. I don't know what they think upstairs about bringing him back. He's a free agent again and he has options. If we don't get him, we don't get him, but I just want him."

Ohm Youngmisuk covers the Giants for ESPNNewYork.com.

Reaction score
Besides, the Giants have an incredibly talented receiving corps. They don't need Plax.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
No he won't.

Give me Hakeem Nicks over Burress any day. Especially over someone who will be 34 y/o and coming off a 2 year layoff due to jail time. Nicks with his supporting cast in place are a reputable WR core without the likes of Burress trying to come back in the fold. Hey, if they want that distraction have at it.

Top Bottom