Reaction score
Another thing to consider about this pick at #4 is, IIRC, the salary is fully guaranteed and the cost for this pick will be $20-22 M, regardless of how they perform (please correct me if I'm wrong, I can't remember where I read this).
I honestly don't know if that's right or not...

But assuming that's right, this team was reportedly willing to go $6-$7 million per on Lamar Miller. Miller ended up getting $14 mil guaranteed over 4 years. If it's 5 years at $20-22 mil for Elliott at 4, that seems like a great deal. I prefer Elliott over Miller hands down.

Reaction score
Small price to pay for a guy who could potentially lead the league in rushing almost every yr for all 5 of those. Is a big play threat, catches the ball and blocks at elite levels.
Or we could get a QB at the same price, who starts his career learning as we hope Romo stays healthy...

Or we could get a DE, who will be learning a couple positions on the line, and will at best be a part of a rotation of guys...

Or we could take a LB, a position at which rookies usually start slow...

Or we could take a DB, who gets 3-5 balls thrown at him per game...

Elliott could hit the ground running, get 20 touches per game, and be a Top 5 back from Day 1, barring injury.

Look at me talking myself into this. I'm not really surprised... Like TE when I watched him during the playoff last year, I instantly wanted us to draft him.

I'll say this too. No other player in the draft scares me like he would if he went to Philly or NYG. Especially NYG given that they already have Beckham.

Last edited:

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
IF we upgrade from what we have now we can get more bang for the buck then using a top 4 pick on a RB.
Use our second round pick on the best RB left and the total difference I am willing to bet in the end would be marginal.
Look at what Murray got and he was not all that talented - just how much more can you get?

Murray got 1800 yds the NFL record is only about 20 yards a game more. Is that 20 yards a game worth the pick and CAP space we would have to use on Elliot?

And maybe 3-5 more TDs a year then what Murray got.

I just do not see the value.

We could get Prosise in the 4th probably and he is almost a Murray clone but a lot faster.

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Here's what Amari Cooper got last year at #4:

Amari Cooper signed a 4 year, $22,663,116 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including a $14,742,266 signing bonus, $22,663,116 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,665,779.

Reaction score
I'll say this too. No other player in the draft scares me like he would if he went to Philly or NYG. Especially NYG given that they already have Beckham.

Preventing Elliott from joining the Eagles and Giants is worth something in and of itself.

Here's hoping that Bosa or Ramsey can and will keep Elliott bottled up, because it will suck watching Elliott shred the Dallas defense. It'll be similar to how it felt watching Randy Moss run circles around the Dallas defense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Or we could get a QB at the same price, who starts his career learning as we hope Romo stays healthy...

Or we could get a DE, who will be learning a couple positions on the line, and will at best be a part of a rotation of guys...

Or we could take a LB, a position at which rookies usually start slow...

Or we could take a DB, who gets 3-5 balls thrown at him per game...

Elliott could hit the ground running, get 20 touches per game, and be a Top 5 back from Day 1, barring injury.

Agree on all.

Look at me talking myself into this. I'm not really surprised... Like TE when I watched him during the playoff last year, I instantly wanted us to draft him.

Yeah he was amazing that year. Then I started watching him more this year and he was just as amazing.

Having a Beckham/Elliott duo would be scary, but the Giants don't exactly have a good OL. It's middling at best. Philly's OL is a sieve.

I have no doubt he'd help make either of them better, but he wouldn't have the same impact there that he'd have here.

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
After missing on Gurley last year, (which I still believe was our plan A, with Adrian Peterson being Plan B) there's no way we pass on an elite RB if Elliott is rated as one. One thing I like about Elliott is that Urban Meyer called him the best player-without-the-ball that he ever coached. He's trully a very bright guy if that is true. The more intelligent players we can get the better.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
As I see it now I don't believe we will take a QB at #4. I would be happy with Elliott at 4. But the new talk is that we are shopping around the #4 pick to trade down but will not consider anything beyond #10. With the Eagles now sitting pretty with the #8 pick I see them taking Elliott if he's still there

But I still see Jerry going Defense cuz dats how dem Broncos won demselves da Super Bowl

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if our first four picks were D and us picking up a QB/RB with our 5th/6th rounders which means they will both end up useless

I just see this draft being as disappointing as this offseason

I also see Hardy sitting around with zero offers all the way to training camp. Then us signing him for a very team friendly incentive only steal of a contract. Plus by him not getting offers I see it humbling him greatly and causing him to re-evaluate his behavior thus causing him to get the fuck back in line and act like a good little boy for us. Plus by us resigning him he will feel beholden to JJ and get himself right with his team mates and not disrupting the locker room. He will be a broken man with everything to prove

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I also see Hardy sitting around with zero offers all the way to training camp. Then us signing him for a very team friendly incentive only steal of a contract. Plus by him not getting offers I see it humbling him greatly and causing him to re-evaluate his behavior thus causing him to get the fuck back in line and act like a good little boy for us. Plus by us resigning him he will feel beholden to JJ and get himself right with his team mates and not disrupting the locker room. He will be a broken man with everything to prove

Hardy is done here dude. Get over it.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Hardy is done here dude. Get over it.

just because you say it means diddly squat. If that was true then Jerruh or Stephen would have said that in order to gain brownie points with the League and the PC twits. The FACT that all you have gotten is third and fourth hand bs from the usual suspects (fisher, etc) who by the way are wrong about as often as they are right says something right there.

The Boys know they need another DE that can rush the passer; now they only have Lawrence (would be fools to count on Gregory for anything)
If they cannot get someone in FA that means the Draft and guess what- the DE pass rushing prospects this year stink. The Best, Bosa, is NOT an elite Pass rusher. Certainly not worth a #4 pick. Greg Ellis part deux.

THAT is why they have not slammed the door and locked it after Hardy. Which by the way I applaud since it means that at least some reality has sunk in somewhere in our so called brain trust

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Plus by him not getting offers I see it humbling him greatly and causing him to re-evaluate his behavior thus causing him to get the fuck back in line and act like a good little boy for us. Plus by us resigning him he will feel beholden to JJ and get himself right with his team mates and not disrupting the locker room. He will be a broken man with everything to prove
You have a very healthy fantasy life and a vivid imagination.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
ok...keep dreaming of that I guess...

to be blunt I have more evidence to support my side then you do. All you have is crap from the various mediots.
I have the fact that Jerruh and company have not publicly cut ties to him. If it was as YOU claim they would have by now.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You have a very healthy fantasy life and a vivid imagination.
Hardy is certainly not broken. I hear bleating from the usual suspects about why has he not apologized and kneeled down and kissed the feet of those that hate him.

Just maybe he believes he has no reason to.

After all he had a clean sheet until that incident; she had already been shown to lie and try and extort from others.

Now if he was to make a public statement it should be this
"I made a very bad mistake; I got involved with a crack whore."
Christine Brennan (the twit that has written 50,000 words attacking Hardy and has been almost silent about Hope Solo) head would explode.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
After all he had a clean sheet until that incident; she had already been shown to lie and try and extort from others.
You DO understand that most everyone here and very likely most Dallas fans as well, could give two shits less about what Hardy may or may not have done off the field, right? It's his lack of production ON the field that's the issue. And if the reason for that is he quickly figured out Garrett is a spineless pussy, more power to him.

Defending him for his off the field issues at DCU is really pointless - nobody gives two red rat's asses about that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
to be blunt I have more evidence to support my side then you do. All you have is crap from the various mediots.
I have the fact that Jerruh and company have not publicly cut ties to him. If it was as YOU claim they would have by now.

ok

Reaction score
Here's the Sturm write-up on Elliott. He doesn't think we should take him at 4.

RB Ezekiel Elliott is a luxury item, but Cowboys can't afford to use top pick on him

I have never been a scout or a NFL general manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State - 6-foot, 225 pounds - junior - No. 15

The NFL used to value running backs very highly in the draft. We know plenty of times where great runners were targeted and selected in the first few picks and nobody thought oddly at all. But, within the last decade -- no doubt in conjunction with the league becoming more and more a passing league -- the NFL stopped doing it almost completely. The last straws were likely the massive disappointments of Darren McFadden at pick No. 4, C.J. Spiller at Pick No. 9, Trent Richardson at pick No. 3, or even guys like Felix Jones, Beanie Wells, Jahvid Best, and Donald Brown all being wasted picks in the first round. But whatever the case, the NFL decided in about 2012 that they were done taking running backs in Round 1. In 2013 the top RB went at pick No. 37 -- Giovani Bernard to the Bengals -- and in 2014 the top RB went off the board at pick No. 54 -- Bishop Sankey to the Titans.

But, last year, along came the best prospect since Adrian Peterson (I thought so anyway when I wrote up his report, anyway) when Todd Gurley was selected at No. 10 and the Rams appear quite pleased with that decision. Then the Chargers took Melvin Gordon at No. 15, who did not have an impressive rookie season.

So along comes Ezekiel Elliott whom others are suggesting might be the "best since Peterson" and his name is all over the top of the first round. He is 20 years old and possesses size and athleticism that is phenomenal. But, what really impresses you about Elliott is that he plays the game in a way that demonstrates how much he loves every component of the sport. He does everything and he does it with a commitment that suggests he is a team leader.

Michigan%2BPull%2BG%2Bsweep.gif

VT%2BGone.gif

PennSt%2Bjump.gif

What I liked: He is a game-breaker and can get to top speed in the blink of an eye. Running out of that Urban Meyer spread, he is exclusively a shotgun back, but you see how he can use a turbo boost that puts him in the secondary in a blink. He also gets skinny through holes and is decisive in his reads. He changes directions well and with wiggle to lose guys. He dominates inside and outside as a back and runs with sub-4.5 speed and also the power you want from a guy who weighs 225. Then, he catches the ball out of the backfield with ease and can use that speed out on the edge. He will attack you in multiple ways. But, honestly, what makes him unique is that Ohio State asked him at times to be a lead blocker for others or a pass protector for his QB and almost without fail, he did it with maximum effort and proficiency. He has balance that allows him to stay on his feet with contact and he is ambitious to do whatever the team needs. He also doesn't really fumble much.

He is a very complete back who will help you in literally every aspect of the offense. There is no doubting his ability and skill set. The fact that he did not factor into the Heisman mix heavily in 2014 or 2015 is quite bewildering and a testament to the crop of RBs that college football is still able to produce annually.

ND%2BInside%2Bsecondary.gif

PennSt%2Bend%2BTD%2Brun.gif

Mich%2Blead%2Bblock.gif

What I did not like: He doesn't really have much as far as weaknesses go. I would say his ceiling is below Gurley's but not by a mile, and then the only reason you might not like the concept of Zeke in the top five is just a positional value conversation, which I tend to support. I think the career span of RBs in today's NFL suggests it is not a great use of resources in general. But, if you want a football player who is great at what he does and appears to have translatable skills to the NFL, I don't deny that this player looks like the real deal.

ND%2Bbad%2Bpass%2Bpro.gif

Mich%2BStumble%2Brun.gif

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: The guy can do it all and would be a fantastic addition to any team. I liked Todd Gurley more but he isn't in this draft. Elliott is very young, strong, and healthy and would fill a real need for any team that needs a RB.

We happen to know a team that seems to have RB pretty unresolved right now, but it would seem foolish to spend a first-round pick in three out of four drafts on offensive linemen only to then invest even more heavily in the RB behind them. The whole point in making huge bids on Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, and Travis Frederick (and then paying them all handsomely) was that they could make the RB position more of a disposable asset and roll over any college talent at a minimal price. This would contradict the entire build in my opinion.

I like him a lot, but for me, the Cowboys have already invested heavily in a powerful running game. They need a young and talented RB, but the draft shows those guys can be found every season in the top 100 (Rounds 2-3). Let someone else spend for one in the top 10. The Cowboys need investment in too many other areas of their roster to afford this luxury item.

VT%2Bdouble%2Bblock.gif

VT%2BPass%2BPro.gif

ND%2Breceiving.gif

Reaction score
That first clip, I can't believe #22 caught him. Elliott was basically at full speed and 22 had to change directions. Who is that guy?

Top Bottom