Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
richie whitt said his bodyguard or whatever he is was with him in oxnard when they went out to dinner.

so it must have started at the beginning of camp and because espn had to have a response to the novacek story from the fan they pulled this out.

Would love to know the source of who told watkins and would love to know why? What good is telling people this?

unless its all about getting goodell not to suspend him i guess

Reaction score
Cowboys doing right thing by Dez Bryant
August, 26, 2012
By Dan Graziano | ESPNDallas.com

When Dez Bryant was arrested in July on domestic violence charges for allegedly assaulting his mother, the Dallas Cowboys were reminded how fragile the off-field situation is with their talented-but-troubled 23-year-old wide receiver. Having assumed a certain level of responsibility for his care and development when they drafted him with full awareness of his off-field issues, and knowing how important he is to their on-field success, the Cowboys have decided their job is to do whatever they can to keep Bryant out of further trouble.

To that end, Calvin Watkins reports, the Cowboys have established some new off-field guidelines for Bryant:

A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;

No drinking alcohol.

He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.

He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

Bryant's adviser, David Wells, will hire the security team for the wide receiver.

"Oh yeah, very much willing to do anything he can to help himself and help the team," Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said of Bryant. "He's very open-minded and cooperative. He's doing the right things by his teammates and everybody is counting on him."

Now, people are going to laugh. I already see on Twitter people asking things like, "Why does a grown man need babysitters?" But the fact is, this is a special case of a guy who's got no familial support system and never has, and who needs some form of structure off the field if he's going to have a chance to succeed in life. The mother he's accused of assaulting is 14 years older than he is and has done jail time for selling crack. There is no father in the picture. The book on Bryant's family is that it cared nothing about him until he got drafted and began making large sums of money. Leaving Bryant to fend for himself in that environment is a recipe for failure, and as I said earlier, the Cowboys have a responsibility to do what they can to make sure he's okay. When they drafted him, knowing about all of his issues, they took that on. It's to their benefit to keep his head on straight, but it's also the right thing for them to do.

And let's be careful how we use terms like "grown man." This young man is 23 years old and has obviously been the victim of negligence when it comes to his emotional and behavioral development. He's not a finished product. Far from it, in fact. To give up on a person at that age just because you think he's had enough time to figure everything out is shortsighted. The point on Bryant is that he needs help, and that his story doesn't yet have an ending. The chance to make the ending a happy one is not one to be thrown away carelessly, and if that means he needs babysitting while he works through this delayed stage of his personal development, then so be it. Good for him for being talented enough at sports to get that chance while so many others in similar situations can't. He's lucky that way, and he should take advantage of that.

It's a tough world, and nobody's going to get through it without help. Bryant's a guy who hasn't got as much help as most people should get in their first 23 years. He doesn't seem like a bad kid, just one who needs more work. His coaches and teammates like him, and he's made no trouble for the Cowboys on the field or in the locker room. When he's at the stadium or the team facility, he's fine. It's when he leaves that the potential trouble starts -- when he puts/finds himself in situations that raise red flags. He still needs help avoiding bad decisions and making good ones, and it's clear there are few if any people in his life outside of football who can offer it. The Cowboys are absolutely, 100 percent right to step in and try to fill that void.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Richie Whitt ‏@richiewhitt
Per our #Cowboys insider @fishsports: Dez Rules were constructed/mandated by Dez's camp, not Jerry Jones or Cowboys. Alter your opinion?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Richie Whitt ‏@richiewhitt
Per our #Cowboys insider @fishsports: Dez Rules were constructed/mandated by Dez's camp, not Jerry Jones or Cowboys. Alter your opinion?

So Dez isn't a dumbass anymore? :confused

Reaction score
Didn’t realize this was a national deal. Everyone i see is mocking it and laughing at the Boys and Bryant. Maybe the homer glasses are too think on me, i just don’t see anything wrong with it. The kid needs help and some structure in this life. He has a fucked up family and the Cowboys have to fill that void.

Reaction score
The problem is its no real long term solution to a clear problem.

It's like if someone in your family is a drug addict. You can't be there to slap a marijuana cigarette out of their hands 24/7. They got to have a fundamental life change

Reaction score
The problem is its no real long term solution to a clear problem.

It's like if someone in your family is a drug addict. You can't be there to slap a marijuana cigarette out of their hands 24/7. They got to have a fundamental life change

No, but you send them to a clinic that monitors and regulates everything they do until they are mentally healthy enough to regulate themselves. If anything, this is a clear sign that he is completely out of control and needs something this extreme.

Reaction score
Cowboys Trying To Make An Adult Out Of Dez Bryant
by Tom Ryle

The news that the Dallas Cowboys have imposed a draconian set of disciplinary actions on supremely talented but frequently in-trouble wide receiver Dez Bryant has created a considerable amount of discussion. There are many who wonder just what exactly his problem is. Others don't understand why the team should go to these lengths. Some just think it is not all worth it.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do think that this is a situation that needs a deeper look and some background research. For all of us, it is often too easy to toss off a quick, biting comment. I just think there are some complexities and influences that come together in this story that should be considered and weighed before we give our thumbs up or down.

One thing I ran across some time ago was the recent scientific research, based on brain scans and the latest understanding of how our minds actually function, that indicated that the male brain (women are generally a couple of years more advanced at a given age until they reach maturity, so you younger guys should keep that in mind) does not fully mature until age 25. Note that Dez is now 23, and will not turn 25 until 11/04/2013. He is under contract until 2014. In that light, I think the research on maturity is worth investigating to see how this likely affects him.

The clearest explanation I could find of what the brain maturity stuff is all about was in an interview with a Dr. Sandra Aamodt on NPR (transcript and link to listen here), a researcher who also wrote a book about the topic, Welcome to Your Child's Brain: How the Mind Grows from Conception to College. I want to lay this out because there seem to be a lot of people who just don't accept this idea. I may not convince anyone by presenting this, but I at least want you to understand why I think it is valid and applicable here.

She is asked first just what part of the brain is still developing until age 25.

AAMODT: So the changes that happen between 18 and 25 are a continuation of the process that starts around puberty, and 18 year olds are about halfway through that process. Their prefrontal cortex is not yet fully developed. That's the part of the brain that helps you to inhibit impulses and to plan and organize your behavior to reach a goal.

And the other part of the brain that is different in adolescence is that the brain's reward system becomes highly active right around the time of puberty and then gradually goes back to an adult level, which it reaches around age 25 and that makes adolescents and young adults more interested in entering uncertain situations to seek out and try to find whether there might be a possibility of gaining something from those situations.

In simpler terms, the ability to control impulsive behavior is lessened, it is difficult for these young men to see the consequences of their actions, and they are prone to increased risk taking.

While many might question this, it has long been understood in certain institutions. One that clearly grasps it is the military. The vast majority of frontline combat troops are between 18 and 25. The reason is simple. They are far more likely to take chances in combat that place themselves in danger than older, wiser soldiers. It now turns out that it is not just because they are less experienced, but they are mentally more inclined to engage in dangerous activities. It is bad for them, but it a sad necessity for an army.

To use a less dramatic example, talk to almost any law enforcement official (as I do on a daily basis). They will tell you the biggest pain in the badge to deal with is a kid in his late teens and early twenties. He is as big and strong as he is ever likely to be, and will go out of control over almost nothing. Once they get up around 30 or so, even the worst criminals at least do not tend to resist the officers who apprehend them. They realize that they are the ones likely to wind up in the emergency room if they do, and usually come along fairly quietly.

There was also a question that pertains very directly to some of the incidents that Dez has been caught up in, like the famous sagging issue at the mall.

AAMODT: Well, actually, one of the side effects of these changes in the reward system is that adolescents and young adults become much more sensitive to peer pressure than they were earlier or will be as adults.

So, for instance, a 20 year old is 50 percent more likely to do something risky if two friends are watching than if he's alone.

This speaks directly to why there is a plan to have someone "minding" Dez at all times. They will serve as a buffer between him and his old crowd, as well as his family, and ideally will become a surrogate form of peer pressure, only in this case to do the right thing.

And one other response from the interview really applies directly to Bryant's situation.

AAMODT: One of the things that deprived childhood causes is problems with prefrontal cortex function, so somebody who has had an unstable home life is more likely to have trouble with planning and organizing behavior and with inhabiting impulses than somebody who has had a stable life.

"Unstable" is an understatement for the chaotic childhood Bryant was subjected to.

While I do not hold that misbehavior or criminality is excused by your past, I do think that the evidence here is that Dez Bryant was clearly predisposed to have trouble dealing with his sudden ascension to sports stardom and wealth. It is a pattern seen over and over, not just in sports, but in entertainment as well. Young people suddenly hit it big, and wind up falling completely apart. Race and gender have little to do with this. Does the name Lindsay Lohan conjure up any images? Rather, it is mostly about how poorly equipped many are to deal with things. Most of us who have gotten past our mid-twenties without totally screwing up our lives did it because we had some externally imposed guidelines to fall back on. For most of us, it was a parent or other authority figure we trusted enough pay some attention to. I never got into drugs or binge drinking because my parents had done a good job building up an aversion to that. Conversely, they didn't focus on hammering me about remaining chaste until marriage, so when I went off to college, unchasteness was prevalent. But I still was cautious and took certain precautions that limited my contributions to the gene pool, so some responsibility still held sway.

Dez had precious little of that for most of his life. It was not until he began to emerge as the athletic beast that he is that someone was willing to intervene and try to get him straightened out. And while his high school coach, the late John Outlaw, should be lauded for getting him as far as he did, he was still motivated to some degree by what the young Bryant could do on the football field.

Now magnify that a hundred, or a thousand, or even a million times. The Dallas Cowboys not only have a huge financial investment and the draft picks they traded to get Bryant on the line, but he is a big part of the plans for the next few seasons, at least until his contract runs out. He is a somewhat risky investment that could pay huge dividends (just remember that almost-catch in the San Diego game), and the steps being taken are not at all unreasonable in that light.

I also will contend that he is not undeserving. Dez Bryant is not a thug. From all accounts, he is a very likable person who really means no harm to anyone. His transgressions have all been judgement driven. They don't derive from trying to beat someone, or carrying illegal heat, or wanting to get into drug dealing or dog fighting. They just spring from not grasping the consequences of spending money foolishly or being with bad influences (sadly, his mother is clearly in that latter category). Jerry Jones is legitimately angry about this, but I think it is not with any rancor. I think Jones, probably more than even the coaching staff, sees Bryant as someone who may be able to make it to emotional maturity with the right help, including a little "tough love".

I hope that the Cowboys pull it off. Not just because I think this is a potential All-Pro type player. I hope they pull it off because this literally means his life and future. If it works, Dez Bryant can be a successful, happy human being. We can always use a few more of those.

Reaction score
Garrett: Cowboys’ Dez Bryant should be supported but held accountable
By SportsDayDFW sports
12:04 am on August 28, 2012

IRVING — Cowboys coach Jason Garrett used the word “accountable” four times Monday in addressing the organization’s strict off-the-field guidelines that have been put in place for receiver Dez Bryant.

The Cowboys and Bryant have agreed on restrictions for the receiver in an effort to keep him out of trouble that has plagued him throughout his first two years in the NFL.

“The balance with all players is you want to support them and you want to help them, but you also want to hold them accountable,” Garrett said, “and we feel like we do that really throughout our organization.

“We believe in player development. We believe in helping them as football players on the field and as people off the field, and so what we’ve tried to do is come up with a plan for Dez like we would for any player who we feel like needs our support and help him be his best as a player and as a person. And the accountability factor is an important part of that with him and with anybody on our football team.”

Garrett refused to address the specifics of the guidelines. But, according to a source:

Bryant won’t drink alcohol;

Times will be put in place to restrict how late he can be out at night;

Bryant won’t attend strip clubs and nightclubs unless the nightclub involves a team function;

He must attend counseling sessions twice a week;

A multi-member security team will be assigned to Bryant, and his security team will drive him to games, practices and team functions.

Bryant didn’t play Saturday against St. Louis and won’t play in the Cowboys’ preseason finale Wednesday against Miami because of patellar tendinitis in his right knee. But he’s expected to play in the team’s season opener Sept. 5 at the Giants. Bryant spent the early part of practice Monday working on a resistance cord with an athletic trainer.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Bryant has been “open-minded” and “cooperative” with the guidelines.

“We’ve talked about his development since he’s come here as a person and as a player, and I just think he’s done a great job,” Garrett said. “He continues to grow in both of those areas. We need to help him. We need to support him, but again, we need to hold him accountable, and I think this is just an example of that.”

Reaction score
Drew Pearson on Dez Bryant restrictions: ‘I don’t like it’; ‘Why can’t he become a man?’
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
9:56 pm on August 27, 2012

The Original No. 88 sounded genuinely disgusted when he talked Monday about the off-the-field guidelines that have been placed on Dez Bryant.

Drew Pearson, the former Cowboys wide receiver that was added to the Ring of Honor in November, said he doesn’t believe in setting rules for an adult who plays in the National Football League, something he’s never heard of before this situation.

Pearson says that the rules don’t prepare Bryant for his life after football, which could begin at any time given the violent nature of the game.

“I don’t think this situation is a good situation as far as Dez is concerned,” Pearson told the G-Bag Nation show on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “I don’t like it. It’s a grown man. He’s 23-years-old. A grown man has to be restricted and told what to do? You’re supposed to be a professional.

“You’re playing in a multi-billion dollar industry, for one of the most recognized sports franchises in the world, and you can’t be a man and be mature enough to handle that yourself? You have to be told when to be in. You have to have people go with you. You have to have people drive you to practice and make sure you’re in the right place at the right time.

“The thing about that, that might help Dez right now as far as getting him and what the Cowboys need from him and keeping him out of trouble, but as soon as the Cowboys are done with him or the NFL is done with him, all these things that they’re doing for Dez right now are not going to help him in life after football. And that’s my biggest concern.”

Pearson said the restrictions placed on Bryant prove that the Cowboys believe the former first-round pick is immature. Bryant is the same age as rookie wide receiver Cole Beasley. Pearson questioned why Beasley doesn’t need a set of rules but the other 23-year-old receiver does.

“Nobody’s talking about Cole Beasley being immature or Cole Beasley needs people to be with him and all this kind of stuff,” Pearson added. “I’m saying, why can’t Dez adjust to this? Why can’t he become a man?”

Reaction score
Cris Carter: God has given Dez Bryant a lottery ticket, but ‘he can’t cash that thing in’
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
7:50 pm on August 27, 2012

Former NFL wide receiver Cris Carter struggled with off the field issues early in his NFL career. The eight-time Pro Bowl selection battled addiction to alcohol and cocaine.

So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the ESPN NFL analyst called in to the Mike & Mike in the Morning radio show Monday on 103.3 [KESN-FM] when the topic turned to the off-the-field rules that have been set for Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant.

“In my early twenties I had tremendous struggles, and if people didn’t go out of their way, I wouldn’t have became Cris Carter,” Carter said. “Now Dez Bryant has a choice. He now has the choice to become somebody or he’s just going to become a stat. It’s the same choice that I had to make. But I’m so thankful that the Eagles went out of their way to try and help me. And that’s why Buddy Ryan cut me. And then the Minnesota Vikings saved my life.

“They didn’t put the message in place that Dez has because I had made a decision that I wanted to turn my life around and take control of my life. But (with) certain heralded people, you have to put certain measures in place to kind of corral them until they get focused.”

Carter wondered out loud why the Cowboys didn’t put guidelines in place when they drafted Bryant in 2009. He came to the Cowboys already carrying some unwanted baggage from his college days at Oklahoma State. Carter mentioned that Bryant had trouble being on time in college. Bryant was also ruled ineligible for the final 10 games of the 2009 season after lying to the NCAA about his relationship with Deion Sanders.

Carter mentioned that it’s difficult for certain players to understand that the NFL is their last chance.

“They got breaks throughout life because they are exceptional athletes but time comes when that comes to an end,” he said. “Ultimately, it’s up to Dez Bryant. God has given him a lottery ticket. He’s standing at the pay window and he can’t cash that thing in. The reason why is because he doesn’t have the wherewithal inside right now to be able to do it.”

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, who was also part of the discussion, said Bryant’s “lottery ticket” might be worth over $100 million if he stays out of trouble.

“If you can do this Dez Bryant, you’re going to make over $100 million because that’s how good you are,” Schefter said of the future for Bryant if he follows the rules put in place. “That’s how gifted you are. Those are the kinds of plays that you can make and that’s the kind of difference-maker you can be for this Dallas franchise.”

Reaction score
Dez Bryant better play by rules
If talented receiver steps out of bounds again, Cowboys will have to move on

Updated: August 27, 2012, 5:20 PM ET
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' plan is obvious. They want to save Dez Bryant from himself.

Bryant, one of the stars of training camp, has agreed to a rigorous set of rules designed and implemented by owner Jerry Jones and the Cowboys to prevent any off-the-field issues from affecting his ability to maximize his immense potential.

When Bryant was arrested and charged with misdemeanor family violence last month after an incident with his mother, we all wondered whether he'd get suspended for a game or fined.

Or if he'd be summoned to New York at least for a visit with the commissioner. Well, it has been six weeks, and if it hasn't happened yet, it doesn't seem like it will.

It seems like the Cowboys informed the commissioner of the rules being put in place for Bryant, and he decided that was good enough for him.

Sources told ESPN Dallas some of the rules Bryant must abide are as follows:

• A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance.

• No drinking alcohol.

• He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the Cowboys and he has a security team with him.

• He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

• A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

• Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

The sources have also indicated additional rules are in place that will govern virtually every aspect of Bryant's life.

Still, this is far from foolproof.

Pacman Jones had similar restrictions when he played for the Cowboys but managed to get into a fight with his bodyguard, ultimately leading to a six-game suspension and his eventual release from the team.

Of course, that begs the question: What happens if Bryant violates any of the rules the Cowboys have implemented?

My suspicion is he'll be fined substantially for conduct detrimental to the team if he violates a minor rule, and he'll be released if he breaks one of the major stipulations.

That's probably why we had all of the tough talk from Jerry during the latter half of training camp about Bryant getting a plane ticket out of town or having used up all of his chances.

Jerry was putting a plan together that would either allow the Cowboys to benefit from Bryant's talent or persuade them that the 23-year-old receiver will never give them the dynamic playmaking receiver they hoped they were getting with the 24th pick in the 2010 draft.

Every one of us knows it's ridiculous for a grown man with two children to have these kinds of restrictions placed upon him. The reality is that Bryant, who had a childhood worse than most of us can conceive, has proved time after time that he's struggling to succeed in this gauntlet we call life.

The Cowboys want Bryant to experience at least one season with no off-the-field drama with mall cops or his girlfriend or his mother.

They want him to see and understand exactly what he can accomplish in a life free of drama.

They anticipate a huge season from Bryant, which in turn they hope will show him just how good he can be and how much money he can make if he'll simply take control of his life.

Bryant caught 63 passes for 928 yards and nine touchdowns last season, despite struggling with the playbook and being in less than a superior shape.

As Jason Garrett explained to Bryant, being built like a Greek god doesn't mean you're in great shape. It means God blessed you with a phenomenal body.

One reason Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald is so good despite his average speed is that he runs the same speed in the first quarter and the fourth quarter. He maintains his speed on the first play of a drive and on the 12th play. And he doesn't slow down, even if he has run three consecutive deep routes.

Bryant worked hard on his conditioning in the offseason and he has a substantially better grasp of the playbook. He was the only receiver, including Miles Austin, to consistently give Brandon Carr trouble in training camp.

And he did well in the first two preseason games before suffering some minor knee tendinitis that is forcing him to miss the final two games of the preseason.

If Bryant can't succeed on the field -- or off -- under these strict guidelines, then it'll be clear to everyone that it's time for the Cowboys to release him at the end of the season and move on.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn’t realize this was a national deal. Everyone i see is mocking it and laughing at the Boys and Bryant. Maybe the homer glasses are too think on me, i just don’t see anything wrong with it. The kid needs help and some structure in this life. He has a fucked up family and the Cowboys have to fill that void.

Most of the national media thats laughing and making fun of the situation are people who 1) really dont like the Cowboys and 2) genuinely hope Bryant fails here and this ends up bad

Of course this is the type of thing that if Baltimore, Philly or GB put into place for a troubled player they had, would be lauded as their front office being smart and proactive

Reaction score
Most of the national media thats laughing and making fun of the situation are people who 1) really dont like the Cowboys and 2) genuinely hope Bryant fails here and this ends up bad

Of course this is the type of thing that if Baltimore, Philly or GB put into place for a troubled player they had, would be lauded as their front office being smart and proactive
Nail-on-the-head Zone smiley.

Top Bottom