dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I mean, why hasn't the storyline been that there was a concerted effort to draft DBs? They spent the same or more on Claiborne and Jones as they did on the three OL. But that group isn't nearly as good, so you don't hear that it was part of a grand plan.

I guess you could say they spent two firsts and a second for Claiborne and Jones, Jones though was a pretty late 1st rd pick. They spent a 3rd on Wilcox and a 6th on Brown. Spent a 6th on backup DB Frazier.

The DL hasn't exactly been ignored either. No 1sts but they spent a 2+3 for Lawrence, a 2 on Gregory, 3 on Collins and 4 on Tapper.

They spent three 1sts and a 3rd on the OL and they signed Leary and Collins with significant UDFA deals and then tendered Leary at a high enough offer that teams couldn't sign him without giving us back a high draft pick (and also resisted trade offers for him)

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I know some of the writers have mentioned the Garrett wanting to rebuild the OL thing, but you're saying Garrett mentioned this himself too?

I'm asking because I don't recall that, I don't watch all his boring PC's so I easily could have missed it, but I don't remember ever hearing it.

I dont recall him saying this either (but like you, I don't watch his boring press conferences).

I do seem to recall him saying something about choosing the best player available and feel like this is something he has pushed for with jeri, et al. However, as TE pointed out, he has obviously not got his way in several instances. I recall him looking pissed after passing on Floyd and trading down (but that worked out great with Fredrick, et al) and IIRC, he also looked pissed at the Gregory selection. I'm sure there are others but thats to be expected with jeri the wildcatter playing draft godfather.

I think Garrett does believe in a best player available and right kind of guy philosophy and if he wasnt restrained by jeri, etc, he wouldn't have had Gregory, Hardy, etc on the team. I think the reason he continues to boldly reiterate the RKG issue is to subtly remind everyone that certain players on the team would not have been on the team if it was up to him. When asked why they were doing well this year, he responded by saying because we have the RKGs this year which struck me as s subtle shot at jeri, almost to say, look what happens when we don't waste time on yo-yos like Hardy.

I'm sure that last paragraph got you ladies fired up, lol, calm down everyone, I'm not saying this because I'm an irrational Garrett fan, I am a Cowboy fan first and foremost and want them to win but that doesn't blind me to Garrett's deficiencies and weaknesses, which he definitely has. I also don't believe he's an empty shell that brings nothing positive to the table.

Top Bottom