yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
4th and 3 on the 20 yard line, down 20 points against the Panthers. What does Garrett do? Brings out the FG unit. He got Boo'd in his own stadium. This is just one of MANY examples of the dumb shit our coach pulls. I don't hate him as a peraon, he's a very nice guy when I met him, but he's never been anything other than mediocre in this league since the 90's, and he certainly has no business being a head coach.

yeah, that was horrible, he's ridiculously conservative. You can feel the offense come to a screeching halt every time they get to the opponents 35 yard line. It feels like once they reach that point, they're playing not to lose the 3 points.

I had a lot of hope for him when he took over for Wade and thought he might be able to work within jerris ridiculous structure but I've lost most of the hope I had in him and its depressing.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
yeah, that was horrible, he's ridiculously conservative. You can feel the offense come to a screeching halt every time they get to the opponents 35 yard line. It feels like once they reach that point, they're playing not to lose the 3 points.

I had a lot of hope for him when he took over for Wade and thought he might be able to work within jerris ridiculous structure but I've lost most of the hope I had in him and its depressing.

Actually it was 4th and 5 and being midway through the 3rd I imagine every real NFL coach would agree with the call, though I am aware recliner jockeys all over the nation disagreed once the game was over.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Actually it was 4th and 5 and being midway through the 3rd I imagine every real NFL coach would agree with the call, though I am aware recliner jockeys all over the nation disagreed once the game was over.

Its the long standing pattern of conservatism that has been Garrett's MO over the years that I'm starting to have doubts about. Sometimes you gotta throw out the text book play and do something to show confidence in your team & give them a chance to take back the momentum, show them you believe in them. To me, this would have been a good low risk spot as they were likely to lose that game anyway (given how dominated they had been to that point). But I agree, its merely one recliner jockey's opinion.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Its the long standing pattern of conservatism that has been Garrett's MO over the years that I'm starting to have doubts about. Sometimes you gotta throw out the text book play and do something to show confidence in your team & give them a chance to take back the momentum, show them you believe in them. To me, this would have been a good low risk spot as they were likely to lose that game anyway (given how dominated they had been to that point). But I agree, its merely one recliner jockey's opinion.

Ummkay... It was middle of the 3rd. Not the right time to get desperate. You are confusing the outcome of the game with what was happening in real time. A common recliner jockey tactic.

One thing for sure, if he had went for it and missed- what are the odds you'd be bitching about that play now too? 98+%?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
LOL. If you were watching the game at all you know we were getting completely shit-kicked all game. The situation was already desperate. Three points was going to do nothing -- we needed what Jimmy would call a momentum-changer.

But Garrett is Mr Conservative in everything he does. His main concern is protecting himself, which is why he always takes the safest, most conservative option.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
4th and 3 on the 20 yard line, down 20 points against the Panthers. What does Garrett do? Brings out the FG unit. He got Boo'd in his own stadium. This is just one of MANY examples of the dumb shit our coach pulls. I don't hate him as a peraon, he's a very nice guy when I met him, but he's never been anything other than mediocre in this league since the 90's, and he certainly has no business being a head coach.

Everything about Jason Garrett should scream great coach. Motivated, positive, intelligent, personable. He has all of the criteria you want in a a head coach...except actual coaching. He's mishandled too many games. He's also full of crap with the RKG thing, he says one thing and then says another when Jerry saddles him with a guy like Hardy.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If you were watching the game at all you know we were getting completely shit-kicked all game. The situation was already desperate. Three points was going to do nothing -- we needed what Jimmy would call a momentum-changer.

But Garrett is Mr Conservative in everything he does. His main concern is protecting himself, which is why he always takes the safest, most conservative option.

Not a single coach would agree with you at that stage of the game, but keep telling yourself Jimmy would do it different.

Very few coaches who are "getting shit-kicked" would feel turning down 3 points and going for it on fourth is a good plan. But since we lost the game, the recliner jockeys can all say "I knew it" and suggest something differ4ent should be done.

Idiotic, but one of the things I've grown to expect from the living room coaches. I get by, it's hard but I tolerate you idiots better than I used to.

Reaction score
recliner jockeys
Aren't you guilty of doing the same thing? Or is every coach's move above reproach? Can we not discuss whether a coach/GM/owner move is a smart move or not, since we aren't in that job? That's dumb.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Aren't you guilty of doing the same thing? Or is every coach's move above reproach? Can we not discuss whether a coach/GM/owner move is a smart move or not, since we aren't in that job? That's dumb.

Coaches live and die in the moment, make decisions in the heat of the game. Recliner jockeys take outcomes and mold their opinions to pretend they were correct.

No... I don't do that.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wrong again. Most of us were unhappy with that decision in real time, not after the fact. That's why so many in the stadium booed it live as it happened.

Reaction score
Coaches live and die in the moment, make decisions in the heat of the game. Recliner jockeys take outcomes and mold their opinions to pretend they were correct.

No... I don't do that.
That's not what we do here. You haven't been around during one game, much less an entire season to develop that opinion. You're just making assumptions without anything to back it up.

And it sounds like you take the coach's decision as gospel and mold your opinions to fit their decisions. It's the same thing you're accusing us of in reverse.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That's not what we do here. You haven't been around during one game, much less an entire season to develop that opinion. You're just making assumptions without anything to back it up.

And it sounds like you take the coach's decision as gospel and mold your opinions to fit their decisions. It's the same thing you're accusing us of in reverse.

Sure it is what you do here. I've already seen statements that Garrett was stripped of all duties except cheerleader during the 12-4 season and he returned to power last year to lead us to 4-12. Second guessing play calls because it didn't work is also the hallmark of recliner jockeys everywhere.

The coach's decisions are based on a totality of the circumstances, the things we don't know, things we don't see and they make the most educated play call they can for the situation. I'm a firm believer the right call doesn't always work. But I'm a realist, not a wannabe expert who thinks their opinion matters compared to a professional.

Reaction score
Sure it is what you do here. I've already seen statements that Garrett was stripped of all duties except cheerleader during the 12-4 season and he returned to power last year to lead us to 4-12. Second guessing play calls because it didn't work is also the hallmark of recliner jockeys everywhere.
Garrett was stripped of playcalling duties in 2013. He hasn't gotten them back. Linehan called plays in 2014. Those are facts that can't be disputed.

The coach's decisions are based on a totality of the circumstances, the things we don't know, things we don't see and they make the most educated play call they can for the situation. I'm a firm believer the right call doesn't always work. But I'm a realist, not a wannabe expert who thinks their opinion matters compared to a professional.
Realist my ass.

So even when Garrett makes decisions that don't work, he's right? Made the right call, just didn't work. How do any head coaches get fired with that mentality.

Garrett made all the right calls last year guys, they just didn't work out... over and over and over and over.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ummkay... It was middle of the 3rd. Not the right time to get desperate. You are confusing the outcome of the game with what was happening in real time. A common recliner jockey tactic.

One thing for sure, if he had went for it and missed- what are the odds you'd be bitching about that play now too? 98+%?

lol, you're new here so check with everyone (or y'all chime in, I'm sure y'all will enjoy dogging me out for supporting Garrett) to determine if they'd consider me long standing pro or anti Garrett before you start making incorrect assumptions. Just because I've got to the point where I question things I perceive as deficiencies on his part doesn't mean I'm knocking everything about him.

I would have been happy to see him be less risk averse regardless of the outcome vs Carolina. The tenor of that game was evident to anyone with two eyes and the team needed a jolt to get back into the game if they wanted to have a shot in hell of winning. Kicking a field goal must have felt like waving the white flag to the rest of the team.

Anyone believe Garrett would have ever had the balls to make this call?:

Aikman to Harper 1992 NFL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME - YouTube

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
LOL. If you were watching the game at all you know we were getting completely shit-kicked all game. The situation was already desperate. Three points was going to do nothing -- we needed what Jimmy would call a momentum-changer.

I'm not convinced that's his motivation, I've come to the point of believing his ability is almost entirely derived from study, so he is heavily weighted toward a decision that goes by the book vs having the experience of coaching for years that gives him the wisdom to see a spot where its time to throw the book out the window.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I would have been happy to see him be less risk averse regardless of the outcome vs Carolina. The tenor of that game was evident to anyone with two eyes and the team needed a jolt to get back into the game if they wanted to have a shot in hell of winning. Kicking a field goal must have felt like waving the white flag to the rest of the team.
Jimmy's philosophy was to let that opponent know he was gonna be dodging haymakers the whole damn game, win or lose. It's a completely different approach.

Jimmy = attack
Ginger = sorta jab at 'em, then fight scratch claw.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's also full of crap with the RKG thing, he says one thing and then says another when Jerry saddles him with a guy like Hardy.

I'm not sure that's his fault. I dont think we'll ever see the team Garrett wants because I think jerri forces certain players on Garrett and he has to deal with it because he wont stand up to jerri, so Garrett, like all of jerris puppets, gets undermined by his boss and looks weak (and is weak).

I'm not saying Garrett would be kicking ass if he got to build the team 100% like he wanted, they may be worse, but I suspect he wouldn't look as hypocritical as he often does because of players like Hardy.

Speaking of Hardy, I think that's a great example that shows the limitations of Garretts power. If the rumors are true, Hardy completely undercut Garrett in the locker room and called him a pussy, yet he got to finish out the season, even though it was hopeless and Hardys contract was structured to punt his ass at any time, should he become a problem. Yet he remained. I put that squarely on jerri. I could be wrong, but thats my take.

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'll say 7-9. Nothing troubles me more than thought of being one protection breakdown away from "noodle armed, lead footed" Kellen Moore for an extended period. Add a pass rush that couldnt rough up a pillow, and a secondary that couldnt cover a man hole cover makes me less than optimistic. Bottom line: Too much has to go right that wont.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's his fault. I dont think we'll ever see the team Garrett wants because I think jerri forces certain players on Garrett and he has to deal with it because he wont stand up to jerri, so Garrett, like all of jerris puppets, gets undermined by his boss and looks weak (and is weak).

I'm not saying Garrett would be kicking ass if he got to build the team 100% like he wanted, they may be worse, but I suspect he wouldn't look as hypocritical as he often does because of players like Hardy.

Speaking of Hardy, I think that's a great example that shows the limitations of Garretts power. If the rumors are true, Hardy completely undercut Garrett in the locker room and called him a pussy, yet he got to finish out the season, even though it was hopeless and Hardys contract was structured to punt his ass at any time, should he become a problem. Yet he remained. I put that squarely on jerri. I could be wrong, but thats my take.

Here's my thing..the team should not be portraying Garrett nor should he be portraying himself as this leader of men, discipline-filled floor general, if he is in fact a sackless puppet. I don't expect him to admit to being a eunuch, but don't pretend to be the opposite either.

Top Bottom