cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We'll see, the bottom line is regardless of what position they pick we just need to make sure its a good player. We need enough help at several positions that as long as its a good player, we'll be better because of it.

Obviously if they signed somebody like Carl Nicks, that would lessen the chance the first pick in the draft would be an OL. But you never know. they seem to be trying to honor their draft board the last couple years, and thats a good thing.

Although the addition of Carl Nicks and David DeCastro would have a giant impact on this roster. Plenty of holes elsewhere but those 2 new guards would improve short-yardage run plays and the interior pocket for Romo on passing plays. Both were consistent issues for us this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Although the addition of Carl Nicks and David DeCastro would have a giant impact on this roster. Plenty of holes elsewhere but those 2 new guards would improve short-yardage run plays and the interior pocket for Romo on passing plays. Both were consistent issues for us this year.

I think if we got both those guys, and Kowalski ended up being adequate at C, assming the rest of the key offensive players stay healthy we could easily score 30 pts per game next year.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think if we got both those guys, and Kowalski ended up being adequate at C, assming the rest of the key offensive players stay healthy we could easily score 30 pts per game next year.

If we somehow got Nicks and DeCastro, I would open the center job up to a competition between Sissy Costa, Kowalski, and Kosier. They have toyed with moving Kosier to Center before and he already makes the line calls.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm a UGA guy and he's a decent player, but Jones has alot of the same kinds of plays Costa and Clay Shiver have. He isnt very physical and can get pushed back by stronger, larger DT's. It happened several times in the first half of the Senior Bowl.

I think there's a huge drop off from Konz to the other C's available.

Well that's not good to hear. It's never good to draft for need for obvious reasons. I guess it's, "hello, Scott Wells!".

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And now that we've taken an OL last year you really think the odds are better that we'll take another OL first this year?

What were the odds last year that we would take an OL, considering how you and everybody and their mommas were dead certain that the Cowboys would NOT draft an OL in the 1st round because... Jerry Jones never drafted an OL in the 1st?

I would say that the odds the Cowboys draft another OL are about the same as last year and perhaps a bit better due to the success of Smith, and the way our OL outside of Smith performed, and the need for the interior to be built.

VA Cowboy said:
I hope we do if Decastro is still on the board, but the odds we'll have gone over 25 without taking OL in round one and then do it two years in a row is not likely.

So you're saying it'll be another 25 years before we draft another OL in the 1st? Well, being that last year that the odds of the Cowboys taking a OL in the 1st because Jerry had not done it before, and yet he ended up doing it, and now we are suppsoedly faced with another set of "odds" against, to me makes it all the more likely. The success of Smith, makes it likely imo. The way the interior played, makes it likely imo.

Here is my problem with all of this. What you and others are asserting is that Jerry would be having this sort of conversation in the war room. DeCastro is at #14. They decide not to take him, despite him being the BPA at a position of immense need, because they concluded that they already went OL last year. WTF! It's not like they are considering drafting anothet tackle.

VA Cowboy said:
Also, the fact the emphasis seems to be on the secondary and pass rush makes it just that much more unlikely Jerry will take another OL in round one this year.

Emphasis from whom? So far nothing FACTUAL has been thrown out on any emphasis of any one positon. Jerry's not saying anything.

I tell you what. When the pro days come---Stanford in particular, if Garrett attends that pro day and that pro day only, then there will indeed be the likelihood that they go DeCastro.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

That in itself would go a a long ways in helping the defense. The sustaining of drives and the reduction of 3 and outs.

Nothing more maddeing that other teams have no effort in converting 3rd and 12 against us, while we struggle to convert on 3rd and 1.

Top Bottom