NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
The whole 1-11 and record without Romo had to have opened a few eyes.

You would think. However, if they werent opened before then its certainly plausible they're still closed in a dark stinky place where the sun doesnt shine. Its not like 1-11 w/o Romo was the first indication.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Dak did what you'll never see Romo do: QB sneak, something I think has been missing from the offensive arsenal for years

You mean like this from the 2003 preseason when Romo did the exact same thing?

[video=youtube;bWZmwvp58P8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWZmwvp58P8[/video]

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

are you trying to prove my point or say this is the last QB sneak we'll see from Dak for 13 years?

Damn, I can't believe Romos been here for 13 years

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There are certain QB's that are pretty good at running sneaks and some that are not. Romo is not very physically built (he's basically a dough boy), has proven to be somewhat fragile physically and while he has nimble feet to escape the rush sometimes, he is not much of a runner at all.

Prescott though is pretty much the opposite of all that, so I suspect if/when he takes over than QB sneaks might become more common place in the really short yardage offense again.

Reaction score
Based on what I saw when he was in college, Prescott wasn't unusually good at QB sneaks. He was o.k., but not noticeably better than the average SEC QB. It isn't like he ran it with the power of a fullback or something.

Give him a running lane and it is a different story. He'll gobble up yards going north-south. He is very good in the open field. His speed is deceptive. The downside is that when big people hit you, you can get hurt. That happened to him too. Although he's a high quality running threat, it isn't as if he absorbs hits and shakes them off like a NFL running back. Running has its risks.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score

[video=youtube;bWZmwvp58P8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWZmwvp58P8[/video]
Try to find an example not 13 years ago.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There are certain QB's that are pretty good at running sneaks and some that are not. Romo is not very physically built (he's basically a dough boy), has proven to be somewhat fragile physically and while he has nimble feet to escape the rush sometimes, he is not much of a runner at all.

Prescott though is pretty much the opposite of all that, so I suspect if/when he takes over than QB sneaks might become more common place in the really short yardage offense again.

My comment about Romos lack of QB sneaks was not a knock, it is what it is. Its just nice to have that as an option and I doubt defenses have any concern for a Romo sneak.

thats probably true of a lot of Qbs

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Dak did something in preseason, so I showed Tony doing the same exact thing when he was in a preseason game. That is seriously all Dak has shown. I can't find a database of QB sneaks per QB or I would link to that. I do know that Tom Brady has some sort of voodoo shit going on with QB sneaks, he's only ever whiffed on 1 out of like 100 or some shit. Crazy! And while Romo may not have a lot of them, let's not confuse QB play with the QB sneak. I doubt any QB gets selected on a draft board of any kind for that stat.

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dak did something in preseason, so I showed Tony doing the same exact thing when he was in a preseason game. That is seriously all Dak has shown. I can't find a database of QB sneaks per QB or I would link to that. I do know that Tom Brady has some sort of voodoo shit going on with QB sneaks, he's only ever whiffed on 1 out of like 100 or some shit. Crazy! And while Romo may not have a lot of them, let's not confuse QB play with the QB sneak. I doubt any QB gets selected on a draft board of any kind for that stat.

Like I said, it wasn't a knock on Romo, its just something I would like to have as an option, probably because of what you pointed out with Brady, that fucker seems to always bang out whatever he needs on sneaks.

I do think there have been some times when a QB sneak would have been effective if the offense had shown urgency and rushed to the line and snapped it quick but what do I know?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just always assumed the QB sneak wasn't in the Coryell-Norv-Garrett playbook. Remember when Switzer had to put it in when he got here because it wasn't in the offense?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I just always assumed the QB sneak wasn't in the Coryell-Norv-Garrett playbook. Remember when Switzer had to put it in when he got here because it wasn't in the offense?

They asked Jimmy about it one time and he said he didn't want Aikman being exposed to the extra hits or something.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter: I spoke to a couple of different people this week, who, when they'd heard all this Dak Prescott conversation, went and looked at the film of the guy. They were blown away at the decisions he was making, the skills he demonstrated, looking downfield, playing like a veteran. You could say, "It's preseason." That's what I said. I talked to a couple of people and asked, "What do you think? Is this overblown? Are we getting too excited over a guy after two preseason games?" And they went and looked at the film and said, "This guy has got it. He's got it. They've found their quarterback of the future." If they did hit on that pick the way that other highly intelligent people think they hit on the pick, they're set for the next 12-15 years.

Audio Vault | ESPN 980

Reaction score
Adam Schefter: I spoke to a couple of different people this week, who, when they'd heard all this Dak Prescott conversation, went and looked at the film of the guy. They were blown away at the decisions he was making, the skills he demonstrated, looking downfield, playing like a veteran. You could say, "It's preseason." That's what I said. I talked to a couple of people and asked, "What do you think? Is this overblown? Are we getting too excited over a guy after two preseason games?" And they went and looked at the film and said, "This guy has got it. He's got it. They've found their quarterback of the future." If they did hit on that pick the way that other highly intelligent people think they hit on the pick, they're set for the next 12-15 years.

Audio Vault | ESPN 980

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CeRoi43azds

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Audio Vault | ESPN 980

gawd I hope they're right

If he becomes a player, its amazing how all the scouts under rated him and how hard it is to project who can play in the NFL

I saw someone who posted the Parcell's QB checklist and Dak hit everyone of them with his closest competitor being Connor Cook. I didn't watch the Senior Bowl (or whatever game he played in) but didn't he do well there and get best player or something?

Sure seems like he clicked a lot of boxes for a good QB prospect

Then again, we've seen QBs like RG3, Josh Freeman and Kaepernick have strong starts and then fizzle big time so only time will tell but its damn encouraging

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Prescott did have a good Senior Bowl game, I believe he was South team MVP IIRC

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
3Vhpcqy.jpg

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
gawd I hope they're right

If he becomes a player, its amazing how all the scouts under rated him and how hard it is to project who can play in the NFL

I saw someone who posted the Parcell's QB checklist and Dak hit everyone of them with his closest competitor being Connor Cook. I didn't watch the Senior Bowl (or whatever game he played in) but didn't he do well there and get best player or something?

Sure seems like he clicked a lot of boxes for a good QB prospect

Then again, we've seen QBs like RG3, Josh Freeman and Kaepernick have strong starts and then fizzle big time so only time will tell but its damn encouraging

I watched it and yea he had a good game. I remember all the hype was around Wentz who looked pretty average (even I tuned in to watch Wentz). The offense was stagnant under Wentz. I think Dak came in, in the 3rd quarter. When he went in he took them right down the field and scored.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I watched it and yea he had a good game. I remember all the hype was around Wentz who looked pretty average (even I tuned in to watch Wentz). The offense was stagnant under Wentz. I think Dak came in, in the 3rd quarter. When he went in he took them right down the field and scored.

I was just looking a the boxscore, Prescott was 7/10 for 61 yds and a TD.

He played on the South squad though. Wentz played for the North team.

Top Bottom