wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know every rule says Dak cannot be the backup this year. He is a rookie. He is a 4th round pick. He has his warts. He is not a typical pro-style QB.

But damn if this guy isn't lighting it up so far in the preseason.

He just looks confident, can make great down field throws, is mobile, and has rapport already with Dez and Beasley.

I wasn't a fan of his at all, but it looks like he can play.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
yeah, I'm stunned. I dont have a clue how to evaluate talent but he sure seems calm and poised out there and he just keeps banging out results.

Time will tell, its a helluva start

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I will say Dallas has found its backup QB for this season.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dak did what you'll never see Romo do: QB sneak, something I think has been missing from the offensive arsenal for years

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
A lot of it is the offensive line and the talent around him, which is perfect place for a young QB to learn. I am still not sure if I would roll with him as the primary backup until he gets a season under his belt, but I am feeling better about the QB depth than I have in several years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Raise your hands if you thought in April that our best rookie preseason performer after two games would be Dak Prescott.

None of the other 4 has even logged a snap though.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
He's looked perfect so far

Lets just see how he does against full time starters and some complex defensive scheming

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Lets just see how he does against full time starters and some complex defensive scheming

I'd rather he get another year or two before having to do that, but so far the results are extremely encouraging.

So far he's looked better than every other rookie QB picked or signed out of this draft, and they are playing against the same preseason vanilla schemes Prescott is. Doesn't mean 3 yrs down the road that Prescott is the best but he is on the right track.

Reaction score
Not getting on the hype train. And I'd rather bring in a vet to be our back up or at least #3.

Don't ask me who because I have no clue who's likely going to be available when cuts occur.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
The kid has looked great so far but he is getting by on his own natural talent. Do not underestimates this pitiful coaching staffs ability to fuck this kid up. Romo learned from Sean Payton before the red headed idiot got here so he was never screwed up by Garrett and has thus carried Garrett. Hopefully Dak learns more from Romo than he does this fucked up staff.

Reaction score
I understand that conventional wisdom is/was that you need an experienced QB as the 2nd team QB, but it is worthwhile to at least question that assumption.

It isn't necessarily true that an experienced NFL QB who has played several seasons at a slightly better than mediocre level will be better than a more physically talented but inexperienced QB. The league has changed. Guys like RG3 and Russell Wilson had much success as young, inexperienced NFL QBs.

Dak can throw deep. He can throw the back shoulder. He's an excellent north-south rushing threat (although you don't want him getting hurt doing it). He'd be playing behind a high quality OL, with excellent receivers, and he'd be supported by a serious power running game. Why not give it a shot if Romo goes down? There is a reasonable chance that this would work out just fine.

If your choice is between a retread QB who hasn't become a quality starter despite having played several years in the league ... and Prescott ... I say give it to Prescott and see what he can do. If he plays well, then you get a good result. If he plays poorly, at least he's learning and you can evaluate whether you want to keep him around.

Reaction score
RG3 had success because no one could defend that read option.

Wilson/Roethlisberger etc had success because of dominant run games and defenses. We don't have a defense.

Reaction score
RG3 had success because no one could defend that read option.

Wilson/Roethlisberger etc had success because of dominant run games and defenses. We don't have a defense.

After seeing Weeden and Cassel last year, what leads you to believe that someone like Nick Foles is the answer?

Mediocre veteran QBs are, by definition, mediocre. Why waste the time and cap space?

Reaction score
Let's say we're 8-3 and Romo goes down for 3-4 weeks. I want a QB who could give us a punchers chance at splitting those games.

Dak is a raw rookie from a spread offense. Once coverages and blitzes get exotic, the shine will be off.

Also if we believe he's the future at the position, then I'm all for brining him along slowly.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, as good as he's looked so far, I think things will be a lot different once defenses are playing for keeps and there's a little book on Dak. No one is going out of their way to try to confuse him so far. And the Dolphins are just an absolute mess in general. I bet they're one of the worst teams in football this year.

About the best thing I can say for Dak is his legs could really hurt defenses. That's would be a big factor in helping him even if he was thrown into the fire before he was ready.

And I don't think it matters what we think. Jerry as much as said the other day that we wouldn't be looking at trading for a vet now. And that was before last night.

Reaction score
Let's say we're 8-3 and Romo goes down for 3-4 weeks. I want a QB who could give us a punchers chance at splitting those games.

Dak is a raw rookie from a spread offense. Once coverages and blitzes get exotic, the shine will be off.

Also if we believe he's the future at the position, then I'm all for brining him along slowly.

But where are you getting all of these warm and fuzzy feelings about a Nick Foles - level QB?

False confidence in Weeden and Cassel didn't work last year. You want to do that again?

Not me. Hell no.

Reaction score
Weeden and Cassel played well enough to win games. Our coach just coached risk averse football which led to losses.

Plus we didn't have the run game last year that we will this year.

Top Bottom