bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If he holds out for a couple of games he's put himself in a position to basically be rooting for those two games to wind up in the L column. I really hope they don't.

I don't see the logic in holding out. missing a few games will not make the Boys blink and pay him more money because they can't. absent a deal by Wednesday, he either plays for $12 million or nothing.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dez Bryant tells Cowboys he’s holding out, won’t play unless he gets long-term contract from Dallas

Dez Bryant has reportedly drawn a line in the sand.

According to ESPN, the Cowboys’ All-Pro wide receiver called team executive VP Stephen Jones to say he will hold out from training camp and is prepared to miss regular season games unless the Cowboys pony up for a long-term extension by Wednesday's 3 p.m. deadline.

Bryant is currently under the franchise tag and will be paid $12.8 million in 2015, but wants a long-term deal. Bryant has said he would like to be a Cowboy for life.

He caught 88 passes last season for 1,320 yards and a career-high 16 touchdowns.

looks like he's angling to get the franchise option removed for 2016, if not then he's just a dipshit!

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dez has no leverage.

he's got a little leverage if he's truly willing to forgo game checks, he can angle for more money under this years tag or take less and he might be trying to get the tag option removed for 2016

not having Dez on the field is going to put pressure on the organization, thus leverage. I'm somewhat skeptical he'd be truly willing to sit but he's acted irrational enough throughout this process to make me think he just might do it.

Getting sick of his ass quickly

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
not having Dez on the field is going to put pressure on the organization, thus leverage.
Not if Tony somehow magically finds other targets, and still churns out 300+ yards passing, and we win. Then it's to his detriment. By the way it won't be somehow, or magically. I have this vibe, if Dez isn't there Tony probably won't be using any time looking for him, instead immediately targeting other players with a star on their hats.
might be trying to get the tag option removed for 2016
He wants that gone, AND the mentoring/monitor program gone, so he can live the thug life. It's never really been that much about the difference in money they are offering vs. what he's asked for. You can't tell me it's ONLY 3-4 million a year keeping the two sides apart.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not if Tony somehow magically finds other targets, and still churns out 300+ yards passing, and we win. Then it's to his detriment. By the way it won't be somehow, or magically. I have this vibe, if Dez isn't there Tony probably won't be using any time looking for him, instead immediately targeting other players with a star on their hats.
He wants that gone, AND the mentoring/monitor program gone, so he can live the thug life. It's never really been that much about the difference in money they are offering vs. what he's asked for. You can't tell me it's ONLY 3-4 million a year keeping the two sides apart.

I'd love it if they could not miss a beat without Dez, but I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be sorely missed.

I would love to know what the real issues are & I'm inclined to believe they might be non $$ related like you mentioned.

I'm sick of hearing that NFL players have shitty contracts because they're not fully guaranteed. The entire contract may not be guaranteed but there are huge guarantees where the teams are incurring ALL the risk in the early parts of the contract, its only if they stay healthy does the deal begin to even out and then the risk begins to translate to the player at a certain point.

Why should a player have fully guaranteed contract when they're getting huge bonuses upfront as well as partial guarantees?

If Suh blows out a knee in training camp and never plays another down, he's gonna get $60 million, same applies to Dez if he signs. He may not get 60 mill guaranteed but I bet its well north of $30M

I think they should stagger guarantees, meaning give the player a large guarantee when the player is signed and then at say year 4, make that years salary guaranteed if he's on the roster for game 1 and continue to do something similar if the player stays healthy and continues to play at a high level commensurate with his contract.

All the risk shouldn't be solely on the team and it gets on my nerves when people act like NFL players are getting screwed because they don't have fully guaranteed contracts.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'd love it if they could not miss a beat without Dez, but I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be sorely missed.
I think they would sorely miss him, from a teammate and compadre standpoint, but I doubt the results in games would really reflect it all that much.

It's said that teams have to change the way they play us with Dez in there, without him all tendencies are out the window. Can be a good thing as well as a bad thing.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I've heard reports that it's $750,000 a week during the season.

It is. He loses him game checks which equal approximately $750k a game if he misses any games. But he can't be fined for TC unless he has signed his tender, which he won't do.

Reaction score
When you think back to his time at OSU, Dez has experienced missing games (see 2009).

But, sure, what we see now from Dez is brinksmanship. Posturing. It doesn't make sense any other way.

So far it hasn't been a bad thing. It's good that Romo is getting to know the other receivers.

If a deal with Dez doesn't get done and if the front office believes Dez will go scorched earth ... maybe the front office will decide to get serious about obtaining a real running back.

I can dream ...

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
he's got a little leverage if he's truly willing to forgo game checks, he can angle for more money under this years tag or take less and he might be trying to get the tag option removed for 2016

not having Dez on the field is going to put pressure on the organization, thus leverage. I'm somewhat skeptical he'd be truly willing to sit but he's acted irrational enough throughout this process to make me think he just might do it.

Getting sick of his ass quickly

They're just going to keep tagging him and I'm with you. I too am sick of his shit. His inner black is showing big time here.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I just read in the paper a AP article about this, it seemed to be saying that if Dez signs the franchise tender THEN we can still do a long term deal this season? It's only if he doesn't sign it that we can't do a deal until next year?
If the 26-year-old Bryant doesn't sign the franchise tender by 4 p.m. Eastern time Wednesday, he can't sign a long-term contract until after the season.
This makes it sound like that if he does sign, a contract is still possible this year?
ignoring logistics would you trade Dez for AP straight up
No way. First of all if someone wants Dez they owe us two first round draft picks no matter what any trade is. Because Dez is tagged. Secondly, if we can afford what a AP type back would command in his contract, we can afford Dez. Third, if Dallas really intended to be a run-first team this year I am pretty sure they would have drafted a RB in the first round - and get more bang for the buck out of him than they possibly could a AP or even a MB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's good that Romo is getting to know the other receivers.
A actual boycott of training camp by Dez would at least have this silver lining - Tony can build a rapport with some of these guys who don't get all that many first-team reps.

I don't see how sitting out games helps Dez. I seriously doubt he does that.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They can only do it twice, I believe.
They can do three, but the third one gives him the rate of the top 5 paid players in the league, not just top 5 wideouts. Which means if they tag him a third time it's top 5 quarterback money he is due.

Reaction score
They are not going to pay him Calvin Johnson money and i wouldn’t either. It sucks big time that he may sit out for 10 games but it is what it is. The wide receiver market is jacked up and of course Cowboy fans have to pay the price.

Top Bottom