Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think this is just trying to raise the stakes.
Could be that and with some help from the two receivers - they get very similar offers and think it's not a coincidence, and go complain to the union about it after? Colluding, themselves.

Then of course the union is going to cry foul, even with zero evidence.

I'd about die of shock if even Jerruh was that stupid, to be colluding with any other team to "price fix" labor.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Dez Bryant tells Cowboys he’s holding out, won’t play unless he gets long-term contract from Dallas

Dez Bryant has reportedly drawn a line in the sand.

According to ESPN, the Cowboys’ All-Pro wide receiver called team executive VP Stephen Jones to say he will hold out from training camp and is prepared to miss regular season games unless the Cowboys pony up for a long-term extension by Wednesday's 3 p.m. deadline.

Bryant is currently under the franchise tag and will be paid $12.8 million in 2015, but wants a long-term deal. Bryant has said he would like to be a Cowboy for life.

He caught 88 passes last season for 1,320 yards and a career-high 16 touchdowns.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
something tells me his plan is to skip camp and sign the tender right before Game 1

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
that's the deadline for signing a long-term deal
So if there's no deal by then he can hold out as long as he wants? Or is there some deadline where he must sign the tender or lose the whole season?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
if he misses the deadline, he must play this season under the tag (for like $12M). of course, he doesn't get the full $12M if he holds out until October

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
if he misses the deadline, he must play this season under the tag (for like $12M). of course, he doesn't get the full $12M if he holds out until October
But, he actually doesn't have to play at all, does he?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, he can sit out the season, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
yes, he can sit out the season, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Walking away from more money for just one season than he's made in his career so far doesn't seem like a good business decision in any way. If he is being advised to do that (unlikely) he should fire his advisers.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But, what is he accomplishing by holding out of camp and a couple of games? He can't sign a long term deal until after the season, if he doesn't sign one by the 15th. Do I have that right?

Can they fine him for missing camp? Just seems like he will be throwing good money after bad. Does he think he recoups any fines and missed game checks in the new deal?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's just trying to exert any leverage he possibly can. But no, financially, it makes no sense. If he misses games, he'll never get that money back.

I'm sure he'll sign his tender and be there on time. But I'd be concerned that he skips a lot of camp and isn't in football shape and/or if things go sour early, his attitude could turn really bad. The second one is what Irvin was warning everyone about when we let Murray go.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm sure he'll sign his tender and be there on time. But I'd be concerned that he skips a lot of camp and isn't in football shape and/or if things go sour early, his attitude could turn really bad. The second one is what Irvin was warning everyone about when we let Murray go.
Then also, gives him a great excuse for the persistent chronic fake hammy stuff all season like Austin did - which of course magically disappeared when he signed a new contract. Seems like that would work against him though, but it didn't stop Austin from getting the contract he wanted.

Seems to me if he signs the tender and has a stellar season, his leverage increases. I dunno.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If he holds out for a couple of games he's put himself in a position to basically be rooting for those two games to wind up in the L column. I really hope they don't.

Top Bottom