Reaction score
What's next for Cowboys, Dez Bryant?
March, 2, 2015
MAR 2
2:40
PM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com
02COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
IRVING, Texas – Now that the Dallas Cowboys have placed the franchise tag on Dez Bryant, what’s next?

One of Bryant’s agents, Tom Condon, laid out several scenarios without offering up which direction they will go while speaking on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Monday.

Unless Bryant signs the tender, which is worth $12.823 million, then he does not have to show up to anything. While extremely unlikely it is possible Bryant could skip the first 10 games of the season, play the final six and still get an accrued season to his credit.

The offseason workout program is voluntary, as are the organized team activities. If Bryant does not sign the tender, he would not be required to show up for the mandatory June mini-camp either because he would not be under contract.

“There’s a lot of different options,” Condon said. “There’s a substantial number of moving parts.”

Condon was asked what his advice to Bryant will be.

“I probably shouldn’t disclose the plan, don’t you think?” he said.

Condon also wondered whether a team would be willing to give up two first-round draft picks for Bryant should the Cowboys not match an offer sheet.

“He’s a special player, so if you’re picking late in the first round, let’s say you’re in the last 4-5 picks of the first round, and you know that Dez Bryant is a superstar, do you give up a very late pick in the first round this year and a very late pick in the round next year to ensure that you’re competing for the Super Bowl for the next several years?” Condon said. “That part of it is pretty interesting.”

The Cowboys did just that for Joey Galloway in 2000 after the Seattle Seahawks placed the franchise tag on the wide receiver. The Cowboys gave Galloway a seven-year, $42 million deal and the Seahawks turned those draft picks to select running back Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson.

Galloway tore his anterior cruciate ligament in his first game, Troy Aikman retired after the season and the Cowboys went through three straight 5-11 finishes.

The Cowboys’ hope with Bryant is to sign him to a long-term deal by July 15. They had their first face-to-face meetings with Condon and Kim Miale last week with the promise of more discussions in the future. At the NFL scouting combine owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he hopes the tag is a “placeholder” until a multi-year agreement is reached.

“The Cowboys have given us every indication that they don’t want to lose the player,” Condon said, “and that they value him very much.”

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score

Condon also wondered whether a team would be willing to give up two first-round draft picks for Bryant should the Cowboys not match an offer sheet.

“He’s a special player, so if you’re picking late in the first round, let’s say you’re in the last 4-5 picks of the first round, and you know that Dez Bryant is a superstar, do you give up a very late pick in the first round this year and a very late pick in the round next year to ensure that you’re competing for the Super Bowl for the next several years?” Condon said. “That part of it is pretty interesting.”

Very interesting quote from his agent. I think Pep pointed out as well

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Imagine what New England could do with him

like, win a championship? they do just fine without him. we should steal a page from their book. but that would mean Jerry and co. being savvy enough to see a great WR in a white Kent State QB, so that ain't gonna happen.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just heard the team is not expected to use the exclusive tag on Dez, so that means other teams can negotiate with him and give up 2 first round picks if we don't match an offer.
Just heard that too, like it.

Bring the offers.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
:wtf

You do know that asking other teams if they are interested in trading for Dez is going to get out right? Even if it's done "discreetly..." There's no such thing as discreet trade conversations with you talk with other teams in the league about one of the 3 best WR in the league.

Nah, that's not how this league works. Dez is scheduled to be a free agent, and the Cowboys have no rights to trade him until he's officially signed the franchise tender or has signed an extension. Plus if other teams think he may be free, they're not going to show their hand and try to give something up before they know what his status is.

I don't think he's generally thought of as a top 3 player, but a top 3 WR? He damn sure is. Saying he's not all that special is just crazy talk.

I don't know if they did or didn't. But if they did and there's no deal, it's probably because Dez doesn't want a "reasonable" deal. He wants a deal that pays him at a rate comparable to top 3 WR in the league.
All valid points... But of course now we know the news - Dallas did the right thing I think.
That's a convenient cop out. Say he's easily replaceable, but have no real idea how to replace him.
Nobody said "easily" replaceable. The meter was, just replaceable. And he is.
But what if we lost both Dez and Murray in one off-season? Time to rebuild the offense.
Just a reload, not a rebuild.

Reaction score
Nobody said "easily" replaceable. The meter was, just replaceable. And he is.
That's irrelevant to the point. You said he's replaceable, but have no idea how to replace him. You're in a fantasy world if you think we can just spend a first round pick and know he's replaced... especially right off the bat.

Just a reload, not a rebuild.

That's a cute saying for high school teams. It's not reality in the NFL. We don't have apparent ammunition ready to put in the gun to reload.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's irrelevant to the point. You said he's replaceable, but have no idea how to replace him. You're in a fantasy world if you think we can just spend a first round pick and know he's replaced... especially right off the bat.

That's a cute saying for high school teams. It's not reality in the NFL. We don't have apparent ammunition ready to put in the gun to reload.
Of course it all depends on what you do with the pick or picks, right? Everyone knows that. Meanwhile other teams seem to always find a Beckham. Other teams seem to manage to win Super Bowls while Dallas flounders in mediocrity. And so on.

Falling in love with the roster. That's High School.

Wait - are you one who believes last season wasn't just a fluke? That if we had the whole roster back intact we'd be 12-4 again?

We can replace Murray and Dez and it might even improve the chemistry of the team in the process. New blood. Hungry players not Prima Donnas. Everyone knowing they're replaceable.

Reaction score
Of course it all depends on what you do with the pick or picks, right? Everyone knows that. Meanwhile other teams seem to always find a Beckham. Other teams seem to manage to win Super Bowls while Dallas flounders in mediocrity. And so on.
Other teams seem to always find a Beckham? Dude, you're delusional. A Beckham doesn't come around every year, and neither does a Dez... much less more than one every year. The Giants drafted 4 WRs in the first round from 1994 through 2014, and found one OBJ. Ike Hilliard, Hakeem Nicks and Thomas Lewis were the others. There are like 5 WRs in the league right now who can change the game like these guys do... Megatron, Dez, Beckham, Julio Jones, Demariyus Thomas... that's about it.

Falling in love with the roster. That's High School.
That makes no sense. High school teams turnover every 2-3 years.

Wait - are you one who believes last season wasn't just a fluke? That if we had the whole roster back intact we'd be 12-4 again?
No...

We can replace Murray and Dez and it might even improve the chemistry of the team in the process. New blood. Hungry players not Prima Donnas. Everyone knowing they're replaceable.
You're so full of shit. Talking about chemistry improving when these guys are the only game-breaking skill players on the offense. Not to mention everything I've heard about these players is they're the ultimate team guys. You're talking about puppy dogs and rainbows when you should be talking about talent.

I recognize the team may not be able to keep both guys... but we can't lose both of them and expect anything other than a return to 8-8 or less next year.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Other teams seem to always find a Beckham? Dude, you're delusional. A Beckham doesn't come around every year, and neither does a Dez... much less more than one every year. The Giants drafted 4 WRs in the first round from 1994 through 2014, and found one OBJ. Ike Hilliard, Hakeem Nicks and Thomas Lewis were the others. There are like 5 WRs in the league right now who can change the game like these guys do... Megatron, Dez, Beckham, Julio Jones, Demariyus Thomas... that's about it.

No...

You're so full of shit. Talking about chemistry improving when these guys are the only game-breaking skill players on the offense. Not to mention everything I've heard about these players is they're the ultimate team guys. You're talking about puppy dogs and rainbows when you should be talking about talent.

I recognize the team may not be able to keep both guys... but we can't lose both of them and expect anything other than a return to 8-8 or less next year.
Can't argue wicha much.... But I fully expect 8-8 even at best case, with everyone back and happy.

I don't really see Murray as a game breaker though. Wait, oh yes he is, most all of his fumbles WERE game breakers. Back breakers.

But in all seriousness - is Dez mature enough to handle this Tag? Mature enough to handle a long term deal with a bunch of money up front like it would have to be? Man, let him walk if it means two first round picks. You're rolling the dice either way.

Reaction score

No...

Cowherd pointed out that championships are being won now by teams with a few good receivers rather than the one big centerpiece superstar. I don't think OBJ is really like a Megatron as much as a DeSean Jackson. Defenses can shut down a single player centered pass offense and logically if you have a player that you are overpaying to play that role, why would you not use such a player...it's kind of a catch 22.

Right now with only the physically reluctant T-Willy, unsigned Beasley and Harris, and pathetic Streets, Dallas really doesn't have a choice but to go with Dez because there is really no one else who could become that "few good receivers" unless the TEs and RBs take over (like the Titans in the early 2000s operated.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
This isn't fantasy GM land, or being in Madden franchise mode. How you treat your players has real life consequences.

Exactly.

The problem is some of these dumbass fans anymore are so fascinated and obsessed with draft picks that they'd be willing to trade top 5 players at their position in order to obtain selections.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
The Pats do just fine without a true #1 receiver or RB, yet Dallas just has to have Dez or Murray back. talk about a lack of imagination.

I love me some Romo but he's no Brady. And I think we can both agree that Garrett is no Belichik.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Pep is all in this thread bouncing off the ropes like...

33xizpu.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The problem is some of these dumbass fans anymore are so fascinated and obsessed with draft picks that they'd be willing to trade top 5 players at their position in order to obtain selections.
Some of us don't mind seeing a immature dickhead who beat up his mom go to another team and us getting two #1 picks as compensation. Especially since said dickhead didn't want to play nice and sign a fucking contract. You don't remember why we are here? Yeah, it is because he didn't want to sign. Had he signed there wouldn't be any conversation about it.
Elaborate. I need a good laugh.
Replacing two players isn't a rebuild.

Top Bottom