bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He is arguably the fastest player on the Dallas offense. He can play a finesse, speed or power game in a way that worries defenses.

his longest TD run last season was 30 yards. he has Emmitt-like speed.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Takes two to tango though. We might never know for sure but I have a hard time believing the Joneses didn't make Dez a good and fair offer. Then umm, he changed agents. That they then didn't just bend over and kiss ass is a point for them in my book.Please, stop it. He isn't God. He IS replaceable and likely without all the baggage and drama. Think instead, what we can get for him.

They SHOULD in fact be shopping him.

Annnnd you're an idiot.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
there would be a riot if we replaced Murray with that turd

Ha well I'm still holding out hope for the guy but yea thats why I mentioned we would have to sign another vet or spend a high pick on a rb, also.

Still think Murray should be plan A. Plan B should be Ingram and a 4th or 5th round RB. And plan C should be next best vet available and a high draft pick, probably 2nd round.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Annnnd you're an idiot.
Right, because I think the Joneses should be shopping Dez just out of due diligence, to see what his worth around the league actually is instead of thinking he's some football god. It's what you DO when you can't get a contract done.

Reaction score
Schefter on teh twitter...

"It’s going to take a big offer to convince Murray to leave Dallas." -@AdamSchefter

"DeMarco Murray takes priority over anything with Adrian Peterson for the Cowboys." - @AdamSchefter

Reaction score
Right, because I think the Joneses should be shopping Dez just out of due diligence, to see what his worth around the league actually is instead of thinking he's some football god.
Come on man... you're smarter than this.

Shopping Dez only hurts this team. They're not going to get an offer that they will consider because of the off the field rumors, and you only create more animosity from Dez when the word gets out that you're shopping him. If you intend on keeping him (and they clearly do), then you don't shop him.

This isn't fantasy GM land, or being in Madden franchise mode. How you treat your players has real life consequences.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Come on man... you're smarter than this.

Shopping Dez only hurts this team. They're not going to get an offer that they will consider because of the off the field rumors, and you only create more animosity from Dez when the word gets out that you're shopping him. If you intend on keeping him (and they clearly do), then you don't shop him.

This isn't fantasy GM land, or being in Madden franchise mode. How you treat your players has real life consequences.
Might also get his agent to the table with something reasonable.

"More animosity from Dez" I can't think of anything worse than the franchise tag for generating animosity.

If Dez really is considered one of the top three players in the league the offers should be coming in as it is, without any shopping. Otherwise you shop him, let's find out what his value really is out there and let's get real with the negotiations.

I find it hard to believe Dez wasn't offered a reasonable deal already.

Reaction score
Might also get his agent to the table with something reasonable.

"More animosity from Dez" I can't think of anything worse than the franchise tag for generating animosity.

If Dez really is considered one of the top three players in the league the offers should be coming in as it is, without any shopping. Otherwise you shop him, let's find out what his value really is out there and let's get real with the negotiations.

I find it hard to believe Dez wasn't offered a reasonable deal already.
Uh, yeah, telling a guy through back channels that you don't want him there is way more damaging than telling him you're paying him $13 million next year.

And I thought you said the Cowboys should be shopping Dez, not listening to offers. If offers are coming in, then that's a different story. I generally don't think teams field offers for top talent regularly... usually they have to make it known to other teams that the player is available.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The Pats do just fine without a true #1 receiver or RB, yet Dallas just has to have Dez or Murray back. talk about a lack of imagination.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Uh, yeah, telling a guy through back channels that you don't want him there is way more damaging than telling him you're paying him $13 million next year.
Shopping him around privately to gauge interest isn't telling the player you don't want him. I'm not talking about taking out a full page ad in the Dallas Morning News, I am talking discreet conversations - is there any interest out there and if so what do you offer.
And I thought you said the Cowboys should be shopping Dez, not listening to offers. If offers are coming in, then that's a different story. I generally don't think teams field offers for top talent regularly... usually they have to make it known to other teams that the player is available.
They should be. I never said different. BUT if he is so, sooooo good as is generally said - top three player in the whole NFL, and there are contract problems, one might think they would be fielding inquiries. I imagine they are not getting any, maybe for the reason you state but more likely, he's really not all that special in a league full of receivers and a upcoming draft full of good prospects for the position.

His agent might even be sniffing around for offers, who knows. Don't know why he wouldn't be.

Do you believe Dallas never made Dez a reasonable offer? Why no deal done?

By the way NBT = Next Big Thing.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Pats do just fine without a true #1 receiver or RB, yet Dallas just has to have Dez or Murray back. talk about a lack of imagination.
Ain't that interesting.

Reaction score
Shopping him around privately to gauge interest isn't telling the player you don't want him. I'm not talking about taking out a full page ad in the Dallas Morning News, I am talking discreet conversations - is there any interest out there and if so what do you offer.
:wtf

You do know that asking other teams if they are interested in trading for Dez is going to get out right? Even if it's done "discreetly..." There's no such thing as discreet trade conversations with you talk with other teams in the league about one of the 3 best WR in the league.

They should be. I never said different. BUT if he is so, sooooo good as is generally said - top three player in the whole NFL, and there are contract problems, one might think they would be fielding inquiries. I imagine they are not getting any, maybe for the reason you state but more likely, he's really not all that special in a league full of receivers and a upcoming draft full of good prospects for the position.

His agent might even be sniffing around for offers, who knows. Don't know why he wouldn't be.
Nah, that's not how this league works. Dez is scheduled to be a free agent, and the Cowboys have no rights to trade him until he's officially signed the franchise tender or has signed an extension. Plus if other teams think he may be free, they're not going to show their hand and try to give something up before they know what his status is.

I don't think he's generally thought of as a top 3 player, but a top 3 WR? He damn sure is. Saying he's not all that special is just crazy talk.

Do you believe Dallas never made Dez a reasonable offer? Why no deal done?
I don't know if they did or didn't. But if they did and there's no deal, it's probably because Dez doesn't want a "reasonable" deal. He wants a deal that pays him at a rate comparable to top 3 WR in the league.

By the way NBT = Next Big Thing.
That's a convenient cop out. Say he's easily replaceable, but have no real idea how to replace him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

The Pats have Tom Brady & Belichick, and they have the league office and refs in their back pocket too though. We dont.

Reaction score
Just heard the team is not expected to use the exclusive tag on Dez, so that means other teams can negotiate with him and give up 2 first round picks if we don't match an offer.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
wow...very surprising news

almost like they are enticing teams to make offers...you'd think a team like Seattle might have major interest, and they've already shown they are open to dealing picks for players they want in the past.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It would suck if Seattle signed him, two bottom of the 1st round picks for Dez? They win that deal by a mile.

Reaction score
Yeah, or New England... I actually think they might be more likely, given Brady's age and the amount of money Seattle is going to have to commit to Lynch and some guys on D in the near future.

If we didn't match, it would give us some flexibility to replace Dez with a first round talent this year and save a ton on the price tag. But they're not likely to be Dez... Guess we could package up our two firsts to get Cooper or White.

But what if we lost both Dez and Murray in one off-season? Time to rebuild the offense.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Dez recieves franchise tag as per NFL.com.

Beginning what will likely be a season-long tug of war, the Dallas Cowboys have placed the franchise tag on wide receiver Dez Bryant, preventing the best offensive player from hitting the market this spring, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source informed of the team's thinking.

The enigmatic pass catcher is invaluable to Dallas' offense, having supplied 273 receptions for 3,935 yards and 41 touchdowns over the last three years, though talent was never the major question.
As Rapoport noted, mounting off-field concerns have more to do with Monday's measure than anything else.
Owner Jerry Jones will want to ensure that Bryant can remain clean off the field and continue to ascend in his own locker room.
Like Demaryius Thomas, who was tagged by the Broncos, Bryant's $12.823 million price tag represents an incredible savings, especially with an offensively-starved free agent market.
Bryant, fairly or unfairly, will need to take one on the chin this season in order to prove that he's long-term material for the Cowboys.

Top Bottom