Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He doesn't hate to lose, and by the look of it he doesn't even really mind it much.

Someone must have told him at some point to have a "short memory" and not dwell on bad plays. Well, they should have told him to LEARN from the bad plays at least! Because he does the same crap, making all the same mistakes over and over, year after year. THIS is what leads me to believe he really doesn't mind losing all that much.

He satisfies himself with "well we tried hard."

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
~Smh~

The only position Romo puts this team in, is in position to have a chance to win 8-10 games a year. These squads, going back to his first year as a starter, you'd be looking at 6 win teams at best with less than stellar QB play.

He's been playing with the deck stacked against him since Bill Parcell's retired. Fake GM, two of the worst head coaches in franchise history, inadequate protection up front, no run game up until last year, and some of the lousiest defense we've ever seen.

I'd really love to know how many times he's given this team a lead with less than 6 minutes left in a game, only to watch the pathetic defenses he's had give up that lead, forcing him into a do or die situation.

Reaction score
I don't see why some of you think he doesn't hate to lose, other than that Philly disaster when his dad had been ill and he made the regrettable "if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me" comments.

I think by nature he's just a gunslinger type who is always going to make a lot of crazy good plays and some crazy bad ones. You really can't have one without the other. But that doesn't mean his competitiveness is an issue.

I do agree with booze that it's insane when I see the odd person claim that he's the best QB we've ever had.

Regrettable ? Sounds like he was just making himself feel better Ya know. Like it hurt so bad he had to step back

Also im at a march madness party

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The last thing this team needs is a QB when you're talking about what needs to happen to get back to winning a Super Bowl. There might be 4 or 5 better QBs in the league right now.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The only position Romo puts this team in, is in position to have a chance to win 8-10 games a year. These squads, going back to his first year as a starter, you'd be looking at 6 win teams at best with less than stellar QB play.

He's been playing with the deck stacked against him since Bill Parcell's retired. Fake GM, two of the worst head coaches in franchise history, inadequate protection up front, no run game up until last year, and some of the lousiest defense we've ever seen.

I'd really love to know how many times he's given this team a lead with less than 6 minutes left in a game, only to watch the pathetic defenses he's had give up that lead, forcing him into a do or die situation.
Oh man. We only had a truly terrible defense once since Romo's been the starter. And that was last year's injury decimated off the street bunch.

You can take the many times he's "given" the team a lead late, only to see the opposing quarterback not choke like he does, and in each one of those some of the opponents points came off a Romo turnover.

You can take the many times he's "given" the team a lead late, only to see the opposing quarterback not choke like he does - and see us with the ball back, with time and timeouts left, and he chokes.

Case in point: The 28-18 loss to Washington to close out the 2012 season. Romo had thrown two bonehead early picks which were turned into 14 points by Washington. But still, with 5:50 left and down only 21-10, Romo made a touchdown pass to Kevin Ogletree and two-point conversion pass to Dwayne Harris. After THE DEFENSE THEN STOPPED WASHINGTON AGAIN Dallas took over with 3:33 left down only 21-18, Romo promptly threw an interception to Redskins linebacker Rob Jackson inside Dallas' 30, and Washington would clinch the victory with a touchdown - converting yet another Romo turnover into a TD. 21 points off Romo picks at our own damn end of the field.

Keep in mind the defense stopped Washington all day long in that game, except for ONE drive that wasn't the result of a Romo turnover.

And his career is FULL of situations just like that, where the defense stepped up and he just gives the opponent the ball, right back. In the big games, mind you.

There's no way to lay this all on poor defenses.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think everyone pretty much gives Romo a Mulligan for last year, because of the defense. And it's fair to do so.

But we shouldn't give him a Mulligan for the other eight fucking choke filled years.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Regrettable ? Sounds like he was just making himself feel better Ya know. Like it hurt so bad he had to step back
Right, I meant regrettable as far as his public perception goes.

He's a little boy living the dream, coddled like bbgun said, rolling in the dough and trying to make the pro golf tour. He is getting all the rewards with none of the accomplishments, and again like bbgun said, not being pushed at all by anyone. Not the owner, not the coaches, and not players at his position.

This Romo experiment has played out, there's no reason at all to believe next year or the year after will be any different than the previous ones.
Don't get this at all. As far as the look on his face or whatever, I can think of plenty of his teammates (not to mention his current HC) who are all smiles after a loss, but not Tony. And c'mon on the golf thing. Tony's not even close to ever becoming a pro.

He's not perfect, he's not Staubach or Aikman, but we're better off at the most important position on the field than probably 80-90% of teams.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The last thing this team needs is a QB when you're talking about what needs to happen to get back to winning a Super Bowl.
The FIRST thing it needs right now is one, and has for the last three years. To push Romo and to be there when the China Doll breaks again - this time probably for good.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He's not perfect, he's not Staubach or Aikman, but we're better off at the most important position on the field than probably 80-90% of teams.
Yes it is difficult to not look silly arguing against a QB who has a career 95.1 passer rating. But I don't mind looking silly. If Tony had like, NOT choked at least one time, had maybe even got us to the NFC title game, we might not be having these debates. I get that.

But look even at his peers around the league - there's no respect for Tony. He comes out what, #85 of this years top 100 players as voted on, by the players? (it's actually 71 and Foles of all people is ahead of him.)

Nobody's really all that scared of him because they know he's gonna choke in the big pressure game situation. Then he's gonna Yuk-Yuk it up with them after the game, after they've again kicked our ass.

Romo's not feared at all.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hey guys I was a long time Romo defender. Really I was. I had Lombardis dancing in my head, really thought he was going to take us somewhere. But the cumulative effect of his failures became too much to try to defend, make excuses for, or ignore. The dude is flat out a choker. He is a loser when the chips are down. It's sad to say and yeah, Parcells leaving when he did wasn't the best thing that could have happened to him. But it's been nine years fellas. He's thirty frikkin four. His time is past.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'll sum up Romo this way, and I think it's fair.

"He tried really hard, and did very well for himself."

And really, what more can any of us ask?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You said a lot in that other post you quoted me in, but I'll just comment on the defense because I'm in a hurry.

For the last 8-10, no matter how the defense has played for 3 and a half qtrs, their one true identity has been folding late when teams need a score.

It's been a defense that surrenders points late, and it's been like that since the Campo years. Doesn't matter who the coaches or personnel is.

Reaction score
Cowboys would be shittier without Romo. Far from perfect but he gives Dallas a chance to win each week.

I tend to believe fans that blame Romo for everything to be low on football knowledge.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You said a lot in that other post you quoted me in, but I'll just comment on the defense because I'm in a hurry.

For the last 8-10, no matter how the defense has played for 3 and a half qtrs, their one true identity has been folding late when teams need a score.

It's been a defense that surrenders points late, and it's been like that since the Campo years. Doesn't matter who the coaches or personnel is.
Most any defense is apt to surrender points late, when you do quick 3 and outs in the 4th quarter, and when you throw picks or do fumbles in the 4th quarter.

Once again, Romo has had only ONE really bad defense. And I give him a Mulligan for last year. Just not the other eight.

Just when it seems impossible for people to continue to defend him, there's always one or two more. Just like there's always one or two more Romo choke picks in big games.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Cowboys would be shittier without Romo.
There's just, no way to know this for a fact. Right now today that's granted, but we don't know how shitty Dallas would be had it not been bitterly clinging to the Romo pipe dream for about four too many years either. Building the whole offense around him, and such.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
List of problems:

1. Worst GM in the NFL
2. Head Coach can't manage the clock
3. Shitty defense
4. Romo's critical turnovers

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think the defense has let us down more than Romo has. Romo's f'up's tend to be final though, game-enders.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Question for the "Tony is a victim of his surroundings" crowd: If Romo is the QB of the early 1990's teams, do we get to and win three Super Bowls?

Top Bottom