theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
THIS^^^. But the running was working.

This was NOT the game in which you would pass that many times and essentially abandon the running game. It would have made more sense to do this this coming week in Dallas.

So naturally they abandoned it. It was working well enough that I think they wear em out mid 3rd quarter. Also nobody seems to mention the only score came off play action where, surprise, Williams was wide open.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Even if you're only getting 2 or 3 yards on a 2nd down run; those passes that are called 7 or 8 yards when they need to be 9 or 10 would be good enough to convert on 3rd down.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
After almost 2 years on the sidelines and multiple injuries, I'm not sure what the media or the fan-base expects to see from a Romo start. Many are pointing to Dak's last two games and using that as proof he has hit some kind of rookie wall; not knowing what can be expected from him moving forward. But almost no one is talking about what you would get from Romo coming out of the gate. There are just as many question marks there if not more. In 2015 Romo was injured basically for the year in game two. In 2016, he couldn't even get out of pre-season.

So many people living in the past on Romo, 2014 was a lifetime ago for a 36 Y/O NFL QB. Guy was trash last year 9 of the 11 quarters he played in 2015. Also cant remmber his last 11 game win streak (hint there isnt one). I mean seriously is there anybody here that would bet their life that Romo would go into GB Pitt and Minn, and win all three?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So naturally they abandoned it. It was working well enough that I think they wear em out mid 3rd quarter. Also nobody seems to mention the only score came off play action where, surprise, Williams was wide open.

They didn't abandon it. He ran the ball 9 times in the 2nd half. Only gained 21 yards and most of that was one carry.

And they ran a lot of play action the other night by the way, not just one play.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Even if you're only getting 2 or 3 yards on a 2nd down run; those passes that are called 7 or 8 yards when they need to be 9 or 10 would be good enough to convert on 3rd down.

Hello, 3rd and long all night equals 1 of 15.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Play calls on 1st down: run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, run, run, run, run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, pass, run, run, run, pass, pass. 11 runs, 10 passes.
How many of those were play-action? Which is what I actually mean. But I most confess I am surprised at the balance on 1st down, in my mind for some reason it was all runs.
Dunbar being in there has nothing to do with playcalling, its just stupid decision making.
They have a "package" of plays just for Dumb-bar. Therefore he is in there BECAUSE OF THE PLAY CALLING!
I do believe lack of execution is the bigger issue. You cant have guys as open as he did and constantly miss them.
Lack of execution due to the weather means you're supposed to be smart enough to put your QB in the best situation for him to have success.
Again, they ran it with some success in the 1st half, the Giants did what good teams are supposed to do, made half time adjustments and focused on stopping the run. And they did stop it better. 9 carries, 21 yards.
Just because Dallas pretty much abandoned the run game in the 2nd half, it does not mean the Giants stopped it. It means WE stopped it ourselves.
Elliott got every carry by a RB in this game, Morris isn't as good as Elliott. Not sure what your point is here.
Morris would have gave them still one more thing to fear. Plus he is known to get on a roll, and just bowl over people. You're actually advocating not to use Morris and use Dumb-bar instead?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So many people living in the past on Romo, 2014 was a lifetime ago for a 36 Y/O NFL QB. Guy was trash last year 9 of the 11 quarters he played in 2015. Also cant remmber his last 11 game win streak (hint there isnt one). I mean seriously is there anybody here that would bet their life that Romo would go into GB Pitt and Minn, and win all three?

No.

That said, he cant play as bad as he did the other or for some of the game vs Minny. Hopefully it will just be the one bad game and he will get back to playing the way he did the rest of the year.

And while its unlikely, if the defense matches its performance of the other night and we lose to Tampa because we cant move the ball or score points, it makes it somewhat more likely that discussing the QB situation WILL become a reality.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They didn't abandon it. He ran the ball 9 times in the 2nd half. Only gained 21 yards and most of that was one carry.

And they ran a lot of play action the other night by the way, not just one play.

Should have been at least 15 carries and a lot less Dunbar on the field. My comment on play action was they had to sell the run to score.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
After almost 2 years on the sidelines and multiple injuries, I'm not sure what the media or the fan-base expects to see from a Romo start. Many are pointing to Dak's last two games and using that as proof he has hit some kind of rookie wall; not knowing what can be expected from him moving forward. But almost no one is talking about what you would get from Romo coming out of the gate. There are just as many question marks there if not more. In 2015 Romo was injured basically for the year in game two. In 2016, he couldn't even get out of pre-season.

And even if Romo did wind up starting somewhere down the line, what if he personally had a decent game, but the Cowboys still lost for other reasons (bad ST, bad defense, missed kick, whatever). Then what? Will people say we should never have bailed on Dak?

No. At this point (3 games to go and heading towards the playoffs) I'm more than comfortable sticking with what got us here and hoping Dak can climb his way out of the funk of the last couple of starts. Much like a pitcher trying to work his way out of a couple of bad innings.

Bailing on a QB that has an 11-2 record and has brought a playoff berth to the Cowboys franchise just seems absurd and knee-jerk.

At least to me.
Welcome to the DCU, Compound. Good first post.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
dbair you're seriously completely dismissing the role play calling has on execution? Especially in the cold? You won't even give us a bone, like maybe it's a 60-40 thing with execution being the 60 and the lousy play calling being the 40?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm as big a Dez Bryant supporter as there is, but that game Sunday (particularly the fumble on next to last drive) was just garbage. It wasn't even a good hit that dislodged the ball either.
The way Bryant shuts the pieholes of "haters" such as myself is by just doing his fucking JOB on a consistent basis. He didn't do his JOB Sunday.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They cut Darius Jackson and kept Dunbar. Besides his lack of production isnt it past time for Dunbar's annual season ending injury?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There are no magic plays.
We all know that and no one here has ever claimed there are "magic plays." What you need to do is explain this to the Dallas coaching staff, because they think they have a "package" of magic plays, for Dumb-bar. That's the ONLY reason Dumb-bar is in there, because they want to CALL THE PLAYS THAT REQUIRE HIM.

Again, you cannot have it both ways - if you believe it's dumb having Dumb-bar in there then you ALSO have to say the play calling that puts him in there is dumb.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Dunbar was a nifty little weapon for us last year before the knee injury. I wonder why they're not using him the same way. he sure as hell isn't in the backfield for his pass blocking.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dunbar was a nifty little weapon for us last year before the knee injury. I wonder why they're not using him the same way. he sure as hell isn't in the backfield for his pass blocking.
Zeke rendered Dunbar completely useless. There is nothing Dunbar can do that Zeke doesn't do better.

Plus, we never throw to Zeke anymore? What, are we afraid he'll take another screen pass 83 yards to the house? Do we not want Dak to be a threat to take off running anymore? No more of the read-option plays that were killing people?

There's NO way to discount the lousy, unimaginative play calling. To do so is equal to sucking Garrett's dick.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We all know that and no one here has ever claimed there are "magic plays." What you need to do is explain this to the Dallas coaching staff, because they think they have a "package" of magic plays, for Dumb-bar. That's the ONLY reason Dumb-bar is in there, because they want to CALL THE PLAYS THAT REQUIRE HIM.

Again, you cannot have it both ways - if you believe it's dumb having Dumb-bar in there then you ALSO have to say the play calling that puts him in there is dumb.

Taking Zeke out, and putting Dumbar in, is telling the opposing defense that it's a pass. So much for the fucking deception, which Garrett tries to employ!

Top Bottom