dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I went in expecting it'd be a tough game, but we ended up making it close not because Tampa played great but because we killed ourselves too much. Too many penalties and several really stupid playcalls at the worst times took what should have been a comfortable 14-20 point win and made it a nail-biter.

That said, it isn't fair to completely disregard Tampa as a team either (as many slobs in this forum did). They had won 5 in a row and for the season owned victories at Atlanta, at Kansas City, at San Diego, and had manhandled both Seattle and New Orleans the past couple weeks. The Saints totaled 48 pts, nearly 500 yards and 33 first downs against a really good Arizona defense on the road yesterday. Against this Tampa D last week New Orleans couldn't score a single TD, had less than 300 yds and 3 turnovers. Tampa dominated Seattle's offense even more.

1) Great game by Dak Prescott, who said all the right things all week and after the game. You know that he just had to be thinking "take that doubters" though after going 32/36 with no turnovers against the team that had been the #1 pass defense in football the past 5 weeks and was at the top of the league in turnovers. Threw the ball great and after not running hardly any (if any) last week at NYG, had a couple of very timely scrambles last night.

2) Elliott re-entered the chase for Dickerson's record by going off for 159 yds (and added another 29 yds on 3 catches). He needs 258 yards I believe to break the record, so its a longshot. But he is back in contention for it. That said, he now has a tremendous season in the bag even if he didn't play the next two weeks. 1551 yards, 13 rushing TD's. 31 receptions for 351 yards and another TD. And absolutely text book pass protection for a RB.

3) How good was the OL? Tampa's most explosive DL players are Gerald McCoy (perennial probowler) and rookie pass rusher Noah Spence. Go look at the boxscore- NEITHER player is in it. No tackles. No sacks. No QB hits. Obviously no sacks. GOOSE EGG. McCoy is a franchise DT and Spence had been having a really good rookie year. Smith erased Spence (save the 1 holding penalty that negated a TD) and Fred/Martin/Leary manhandled McCoy inside.

4) The Lucky Whitehead stuff has just gotta go. The first jetsweep "worked" for just a 3 yard gain or so. The next two plays they called for him absolutely killed drives. The pitch back reverse was possibly the worst single offensive playcall of the year IMO and happened on a 3rd and short (instead of simply giving it to Zeke or just having Prescott continue to pick apart their back 7) And his return struggles continued too. Taking one KO out from deep in endzone (again) and basically running backwards on his one punt return. This is one guy who should have no role at all the remainder of the year. And insult to injury type stuff here- Zeke got "credit" for the fumble on the fuckup reverse pitch call.

5) Major kudos for David Irving, who showed he should be having a greatly expanded role the rest of the season. He absolutely dominated the 4th quarter and put on a show we haven't see from a DL in quite sometime. Got two sacks and came close on a couple others. Batted a ball or two. Maliek Collins and Terrell McClain had sacks and Collins in particular seemed to have consistent inside pressure. The run defense was outstanding again (less than 3 yds per carry, longest run allowed only 8 yards). Mayowa got hurt late and his situation needs to be watched, but he had his 3rd straight really good game. Didn't get a sack last night but had 2 1/2 TFL's and also really turned the corner a few times as a pass rusher. Finally getting a return from him.

6) Brandon Carr and Orlando Scandrick have to be the two worst CB's in football when it comes to actually playing the ball in the air. Both guys get into position a ton, but neither guy knows how to attack the ball. In fact they both fight it. Carr at the LEAST should have had a routine deflection of that long TD, but its the kind of play a good CB makes a pick on time and time again. he played it perfectly right up to where he contacted the ball. And Scandrick. Someone in here said it seemed to take him forever to catch that gimmee pick at the end of the game. Needs to be a priority in the offseason to upgrade the talent at CB with Carr a FA, Scandrick another yr older and Claiborne also a FA.

7) Dan Bailey missed two FG's, in the same game. He had the long 56 yarder right on target (just like the 55 yarder last week) but left it a tad short. Just missed left from 52. Oh well, he isn't a machine after all. even with the thee 50+ misses the last two weeks, he's still 25/30 with a long of 56 yards for the season. He's 24/35 in his career from 50+, with two 56 yarders. People need to quit crying about this guy

8) Didn't totally understand not going for it on 4th and 1 late. Not sure if it was a "yard" or over a yard, but with the way the OL was dominating and how well Prescott was playing, the chance to ice the game with a TD was there. I get wanting to make Tampa get a TD instead of potentially just a FG to tie, but it seemed like a little conservative to me. If Tampa had been stoning us defensively maybe I would understand more. It was a great drive though at a clutch time.

9) Lost in the win, Dallas now has a record 6 wins in a row at the new home. In most years since Jones opened that place we've rarely had a homefield advantage or even played better at home vs the road, but this year seems a little different.

10) Been saying it for weeks, but the only two NFC matchups that really worry me are potential games vs Washington and Atlanta. Atlanta's win and Detroits loss moved the Falcons into the 3rd spot now, and there's a good chance they can stay there (meaning we wouldnt face them in divisional round regardless of what happens if we clinch HFA) Maybe Green Bay worries me a little, though I think they are more of a fraud than the other two. The rest of the NFC teams (including the Giants) don't scare me much at all.

Just get the win vs Detroit to get to 13, win the division and clinch HFA. We've got a lot of beat up guys who need some extra rest before the playoffs. Would love to see us take care of business and run the Lions off the field next Monday night.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Meant to mention Darren McFadden. Was surprised at how good a shape he looked to be in, and seemed pretty quick.

The play where he lined up at FB and ran the ball in short yardage was a nice wrinkle. Wonder if that might be something they come back to and perhaps run a PA Pass out of, then slip the ball to him in flat.

Also would like to see him back on KO returns instead of Whitehead.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
I think the score wasnt reflective on just how dominant our offense was. We did want we wanted pretty much all night long. Penalties destroyed us tonight along with some complete ineptitude by our coaching staff. If not for those two things we win this game by a minimum of 14 points. Im a garrett hater by nature because of the past, but I somewhat bought in this year based on the teams performance, but he will ultimately kill this team.
The field goal attempt on the first drive of the game was a desperate god awful call. Punt the ball deep and make the other team go the length of the field like the Giants have been doing the last few games.
I didnt understand not going for it at the end on 4th and 1 the way Zeke was eating up yards.

Home field advantage throughout the playoffs is the only possible way we could get to the Super Bowl

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Home field advantage throughout the playoffs is the only possible way we could get to the Super Bowl

Agreed with all your post except this part, while its clearly beneficial I don't think its an absolute. We've won on the road this year in places like Washington, Green Bay and Pittsburgh so we have the ability to go anywhere and win IMO.

Just need to clean a few things up and eliminate the "cutesy" calls to Lucky Whitehead. In fact Whitehead should be eliminated from the roster altogether.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
O Line owned their D Line, pile did nothing but move forward on the run. I guess TB D coordinator did not watch tape from the last two games and am surprised they didnt blitz more. I thought Dallas played to their strength and TB did not. Penalties will kill this team in the playoffs. Oh and I thought Linehan's play calling left a whole lot to be desired. Still in love with the three yard pass to Witten when they need nine, and trying to get Lucky involved is stupid. He sucks and Zeke should get his touches.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm done with Lucky. I am sick and tired of yelling at the screen "you better not fumble motherfucker" every single time he touches the ball

I'd gladly give up the jet sweep altogether to not have to worry about him fumbling

And I'd be happy with McMuffen returning kicks. He's got speed but he also has the ability to run over and punish the occasional lone gunner that gets to him before the rest of the pack

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1) Great game by Dak Prescott, who said all the right things all week and after the game. You know that he just had to be thinking "take that doubters" though after going 32/36 with no turnovers against the team that had been the #1 pass defense in football the past 5 weeks and was at the top of the league in turnovers. Threw the ball great and after not running hardly any (if any) last week at NYG, had a couple of very timely scrambles last night.

not really. way too much dink and dunking and check-downs. Witten had 10 catches for a measly 50 yards, so that tells you everything. no completion on 3rd down longer than six yards. he wasn't exactly asked to stretch the field, and he was fortunate the running game took pressure off him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
not really. way too much dink and dunking and check-downs. Witten had 10 catches for a measly 50 yards, so that tells you everything. no completion on 3rd down longer than six yards. he wasn't exactly asked to stretch the field, and he was fortunate the running game took pressure off him.

That's what Tampa Bay makes offenses do.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I kinda agree with you dbair about wanting to face New York as opposed to Washington, simply due to the law of averages. It's not likely that the Giants beat us 3 times in a row and vice versa with us against the Skins.

btw it was me who mentioned how long it took Scandrick to corral that gimme pic. The ball was right to him, almost in his numbers. His attempt looked like bbgun trying to unhook a woman's bra. His hands were moving all over that thing.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd still take Washington over NYG in the playoffs

New York has us figured out and we do not have them figured out

Plus they seem to be picking up steam where as Washington goes up and down. We will see how Washington performs tonight against a lost and broken Carolina team

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

And the D bailed him out. If the D had not played well, we'd all be talking about the dinks and dunks. Dak proved very little to me last night that I didn't already know. But the D showed me something.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And the D bailed him out. If the D had not played well, we'd all be talking about the dinks and dunks. Dak proved very little to me last night that I didn't already know. But the D showed me something.

Completing 32 of 36 (100% in the 2nd half) and having the second best game in NFL history didn't prove anything to you?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Completing 32 of 36 (100% in the 2nd half) and having the second best game in NFL history didn't prove anything to you?

Sure it did. Dak proved something to me a long time ago and he has a bright future as he continues to grow. But I know enough that I'm watching a conservative dink and dunk bus driver. Brandon Weeden went 71 of 98 for a 72% completion rate and a 92 QBR last season when he started. Just looking at those stats you'd think he played lights out but we went 0 and 3 in that stretch. I think Weeden aslo set the record for consecutive completions. It's a meaningless and bogus stat. We need to convert 3rd downs and take shots down field to make noise in the playoffs UNLESS our D plays lights out. The D has been impressive the last few weeks, forcing sacks, INT's and fumbles. They are asking Dak not to lose the game and there's nothing wrong with that.....until the playoffs start.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
New York has us figured out and we do not have them figured out

I get that they beat us twice and Prescott had his worst two games against them, but lets not act like we got run off the field both times or something. They won the two games by a combined 4 pts. We had a chance to win the opener but TW didn't get out of bounds and the clock ran out. A 55 yd FG in dead cold weather hit the crossbar otherwise that game is tied. As good as their defense has played against us, ours as played just as good vs them. We've actually outgained them in total yards (slightly)

If we play them in the playoffs, I feel pretty good about our chances. Especially at home.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What folks are missing is that this "team" is playing well. Now, I can't deny that maybe it's because they've bought into a rookie QB and RB that have energized the players around them. But lets face it. If there's one player on the team that we absolutely, positively cannot afford to lose or our season tanks, it's Zek. Usually the QB is the most critical position on the field but I don't think we'd miss a beat if Dak went out.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What folks are missing is that this "team" is playing well. Now, I can't deny that maybe it's because they've bought into a rookie QB and RB that have energized the players around them. But lets face it. If there's one player on the team that we absolutely, positively cannot afford to lose or our season tanks, it's Zek. Usually the QB is the most critical position on the field but I don't think we'd miss a beat if Dak went out.

What's really encouraging is since the Redskins game, the defense is playing pretty good. We're starting to get more pressure and actually getting some turnovers, and the run defense has been really good.

If the offense can stay balanced and avoid turnovers, we have a chance to do something really good this year in January.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get that they beat us twice and Prescott had his worst two games against them, but lets not act like we got run off the field both times or something. They won the two games by a combined 4 pts. We had a chance to win the opener but TW didn't get out of bounds and the clock ran out. A 55 yd FG in dead cold weather hit the crossbar otherwise that game is tied. As good as their defense has played against us, ours as played just as good vs them. We've actually outgained them in total yards (slightly)

If we play them in the playoffs, I feel pretty good about our chances. Especially at home.

I never once thought that Dak could drive us down the field in either game, especially the second one. He's good at controlling a conservative offense but he's not anywhere near the point where he can carry the team on his back. He's not that kind of QB and that's not our offense. If we need to drive the length of the field for the win, it's over.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I never once thought that Dak could drive us down the field in either game, especially the second one. He's good at controlling a conservative offense but he's not anywhere near the point where he can carry the team on his back. He's not that kind of QB and that's not our offense. If we need to drive the length of the field for the win, it's over.

He kinda did this a couple times this yr Dodger.

Top Bottom