Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was just watching game film on Hardy and the one big thing I noticed is how this guy tackles. It doesn't matter if it's the QB on a sack or knockdown, or a RB on a run play. He uses his entire body. Hi doesn't just reach out and arm tackle. He wraps his guy up and rolls him. Very reminiscent of a judo throw/take down.

He uses momentum and leverage to follow thru on the tackle. Watch his highlights and you'll see what I mean. More often then not the tackle ends with him rolling the ball carrier. You see what I'm talking about on his sack of Phillip Rivers and the Redskins QB when they were wearing the old throwback jerseys. He will get his arms around the opponents hips, then use his forward momentum to roll behind him and drag him down. Early in his career he would launch himself with his arms spread wide hoping to get a piece of the QB which he could then wrap up and drive forward into the ground. But later something changed and he uses that roll technique which is much more effective. I'm not sure what changed or where he picked it up but it seems to be something he added down the road.

It's a pretty nice technique that I don't see others really using

Hopefully Church and the rest can learn from him and stop the rash of missed tackles we have has as of late

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens with his contract at the end of the season especially if he continues to have the kind of success he had in his first game.

I just hope he doesn't go off the rails if he starts blowing up QB's and the media starts touring how great he is. I can see it going to his head and him doing something else stupid off the field

Assuming he can keep his shit together I'd love to see his contract extended

But I have a feeling we will lose him at the end of the season to a team that can better afford him

I see Gregory having a good year and Jerry and co letting Hardy leave because they think Gregory will be good enough to take his place

However it plays out I see Jerry and co making the wrong decision with Hardy and letting our pass rush drop back to sub par next year (that's assuming it's above par this year which so far looks like it may very well be)

Top Bottom