Reaction score
Cowboys quietly looking for new offensive coordinator
Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2013, 9:44 PM EST
:jerry2

Over the weekend, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is pushing coach Jason Garrett to give up his play-calling duties.

The process continues. Per a league source, the Cowboys are quietly looking for a new offensive coordinator.

Currently, Bill Callahan serves as both the offensive coordinator and the offensive line coach. A new offensive coordinator presumably would call the plays instead of Garrett.

But Garrett, we’re told, is resisting the move. And if it happens, he wants someone who has no head-coaching experience.

The Princeton-educated Garrett didn’t need to go to Princeton to realize that an offensive coordinator with head-coaching experience can become a convenient interim head coach, if Jones decides during a given season to make a change.

The Cowboys have said nothing in response to Mortensen’s report. Which fairly can be interpreted to mean that the report is accurate, and that the discomfort Jones promised at Valley Ranch extends beyond the firing of running backs coach Skip Peete and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

:jerry

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
this move is critical...if we dont fuck this up, we have a shot to be much improved

Agreed. I think Garrett did OK motivating the guys and keeping them playing hard. He needs to get his hands off of the offense though.

Reaction score
Also agree.

I think Garrett is smart enough, and would serve as a great CEO type head coach. But I think he's trying to do too much right now, and I don't think he can handle it.

If he's not ready to relinquish some responsibilities, he can be shitcanned as far as I'm concerned.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Also agree.

I think Garrett is smart enough, and would serve as a great CEO type head coach. But I think he's trying to do too much right now, and I don't think he can handle it.

If he's not ready to relinquish some responsibilities, he can be shitcanned as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think he is creative enough offensively

Reaction score
He isn't. And he isn't a good multi-tasker. He isn't capablme of managing the game while also being saddled with playcalling.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think he is creative enough offensively

Yeah I agree. Its amazing a coach cant cover up for 4/5 of an OL that cant block. I bet anybody else could because they'll be creative and come up with new magic plays.

Reaction score
Once a new OC comes that will seal Garrett as the long term head coach for years to come. Offense plays poorly, fire the OC. Defense plays poorly, fire the DC. As long as the team can stay around .500 and play till the final seconds, he will have a job plus he will get credit for any success that may come.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Once a new OC comes that will seal Garrett as the long term head coach for years to come. Offense plays poorly, fire the OC. Defense plays poorly, fire the DC. As long as the team can stay around .500 and play till the final seconds, he will have a job plus he will get credit for any success that may come.

If Garrett is really getting another year (something I'm still not 100% convinced of) you can bet if they are not in the playoffs next year (and probably have to win a game or two in addition) then Garrett will be gone.

Reaction score
If Garrett is really getting another year (something I'm still not 100% convinced of) you can bet if they are not in the playoffs next year (and probably have to win a game or two in addition) then Garrett will be gone.

Garrett is staying. Stop with the percentages. I don’t see how you can give new coordinators 1 season to turn it around. They have at least 2-3 years to work with. Garrett got credit for the team playing hard and staying in the games this past season and will again get credit for that. I see that as the only real criteria for Al Davis to judge by.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
stretch smith said yesterday that the holdup is finding someone who understands the offense strategically and is on the same page with garrett.

to me that makes sense. You cant just throw anyone in there and have them call plays out of your playbook. There is no way I would allow that if I was the head coach.

this is why I dont understand why we dont just hire tony sporano, cam cameron or mike mularkey.......they have worked with jason, they like him and they know the offense....

i dont get why those guys are not involved?

Stretch said they are worried about giving the playcalling to callahan because they are not sure he is comfortable with this offense still.

so to me just get rid of callahan and hire cameron/mularkey as coordinator/playcaller and sporano as line coach.

unless of course garrett wants a smaller mobile line and wants callahan coaching it.

btw broaddus said this morning on twitter he does not believe we are hiring houston nutt and that it was just an interview.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
btw broaddus said this morning on twitter he does not believe we are hiring houston nutt and that it was just an interview.

Yeah I saw that. And this is after Hill and Hos said it was a done deal. How can this be?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you are just a year early. Gruden for 2014, after Garrett gives us another 8-8 year :towel

I'm all for Gruden today.

But if we wait another year, I will probably be a David Shaw man.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. Its amazing a coach cant cover up for 4/5 of an OL that cant block. I bet anybody else could because they'll be creative and come up with new magic plays.

That seems like sarcasm. Thought you hated Garrett?

Top Bottom