jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
jnday knows a guy who works for the team, and that guy has direct contact to Stephen and or Jerry. IIRC.

I haven't talked to him in a couple years. The deal is done though unless my source is totally wrong.

Reaction score
No, that's incorrect.

An RKG “... is someone who loves to play football, who is very passionate about it, willing to work hard at it, willing to be part of a team, willing to be part of something that is maybe greater than himself."

It refers to the player's attitude toward the game.

There are some good football players who aren't RKGs. A guy like Flozell Adams comes to mind. He was a five time pro bowler, but he was never said to be particularly passionate about it.

Marc Columbo, on the other hand, had a lesser career, but was said to have the RKG attitude. MBIII was an RKG, but wasn't a good running back during the final part of his career.
I seem to remember Garrett specifically talking about "high character guys."

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

"but .. but .. everybody deserves a second chance!"

the Cowboys are like an atheist who says a prayer when their plane is going down. at the first sign of trouble, out go the ethics

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I don't ever want to hear about RKG again if we sign this guy. Besides the woman he paid off not to testify, he has red flags going back to college.
How do you not understand the RKG thing? It has nothing to do with morals. It has to do with how the person practices, studies, plays the entire game without taking plays off, gets along with teammates, etc. Everyone seems to think it means RKG=boyscout.

Reaction score
I have to admit I haven't seen the guy play much, but when I read his bio info and scouting stuff he seems VERY similar as a player coming out to Ebenezer Ekuban

I could be wrong, but part of me gives our eh d lineman a pass during that era because I'm not convinced they got good coaching.

Some of those guys had a lot of potential but never panned out. I also hated Zimmers read-react defense.

For example, I always thought Ellis could've been a Strahan type force if he was allowed to kill the QB.

Reaction score
I'm suddenly excited about our defense next year.

The way Demarcus came on at years end, coupled with how well Crawford played, and even Mincey playing well above (my) expectations... Were a DT away from a formidable starting line.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm suddenly excited about our defense next year.

The way Demarcus came on at years end, coupled with how well Crawford played, and even Mincey playing well above (my) expectations... Were a DT away from a formidable starting line.
As it stands, they don't even have enough starting quality LBs, Sean Lee and Hitchens. Lee won't lag but a few games and Hitchens could easily have a sophomore slump. RoMac is not resigned and there is some concerns about his unstable behavior . Another quality QB needs drafted/signed as well. The LBs are my concern though. I wanted to keep Carter for this very reason. It seemed that he finally caught on to playing in this defense in the last several games and he is a play-maker. I don't see anybody on the defense that has that ability right now.

Reaction score
Fisher can go suck a bag of dicks. Him and his idiot gang have been all over the place on this.

Don't know how I missed this before, but spot on. Fisher is an idiot, and a shill for the team.

He and Broaddus are like the Hostile and Sdogo of the media world.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Guys, I am telling you that it is a done deal. If not for the physical. It would have been announced yesterday.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
Former teammate examines pros, cons of Greg Hardy
March, 18, 2015
MAR 18
11:30
AM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com
18COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
IRVING, Texas – The Dallas Cowboys have lots of things to consider as they possibly close in on a deal for Greg Hardy.

From a football standpoint it makes perfect sense. Hardy is the best pass rusher on the open market, and the Cowboys’ stated No. 1 goal of the offseason is to improve a pass rush that had just 28 sacks in 2014 and couldn’t sniff an immobile Aaron Rodgers in the playoff loss to the Green Bay Packers.

Off the field is another story, but if the Cowboys are this far down the road on negotiations they must feel comfortable in adding him to the roster.

[+] EnlargeGreg Hardy
AP Photo/Paul Spinelli
A former teammate of Greg Hardy said there were times the defensive end was 'unmanageable.'
He is facing a possible suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy stemming from an incident last spring with an ex-girlfriend. A judge found Hardy guilty of assaulting and threatening to kill Nicole Holder, but the verdict was set aside when Hardy requested a jury trial.

Charges were dropped when Holder refused to cooperate with the district attorney’s office after receiving a financial settlement from Hardy.

There is no doubt the Cowboys have been in contact with the league office on Hardy’s playing status. He remains on the commissioner’s exempt list and met recently with Roger Goodell. A league spokesman said the case is being reviewed and they will have a decision as soon as possible.

Next up is how the potential signing will be greeted in the locker room. Generally, if a player can help a team win the new teammates don’t care what happened in a player’s past. There is a big belief in second chances in locker rooms. Especially for talented players.

On ESPN 103.3 FM’s “Fitzsimmons and Friedo show Tuesday, former Carolina Panthers teammate Ben Hartsock spoke about Hardy.

Is Hardy worth the risk?

“Well, I think that's a great question,” Hartsock said. “When he's on the field, he's a dominant force. Because of that, he's going to get more leniency. The issue he has right now is whether he's too toxic. He's going to be on a very, very short leash. If he screws up one more time, I believe he'll be on his way out. But I do believe he's going to get another chance and I think he deserves it.”

But Hartsock offered up some buyer-beware thoughts as well.

“You trust him to the extent that you don't necessarily know what you're going to get,” Hartsock said. “The Greg Hardy that was on the field was going to be a nightmare for the opposing team. But then you go in and everybody is in the hot tub or the cold tub after practice just shooting the breeze and the guy carries on a very reasonable, level-headed inquisitive type of conversation. But then there are other times when he's just unmanageable. And that's why I think things have gotten in trouble with his personal life. He's going have to go a long ways to earn the trust of any organization, whether it be Dallas or any other franchise across the league.

“His reputation has now become an Achilles heel. Trustworthy is kind of a sliding scale in the NFL. If you're talented and you have the ability and some skills that no one else has, trustworthiness can be slid a little bit more. Like I said, there aren't many people like him on the planet that can play and that can do the things that he does. But we are also in an NFL environment right now where any off-the-field liability is frowned upon very strongly.”

Reaction score

I've seen Garrett quoted as mentioning character as a part of RKG, and then splitting character into a couple of components, one of which is "football character."

Also note that Garrett specifically mentions Michael Irvin as an RKG.

Top Bottom