Reaction score
Looking at the scores from last year, this worst defense in the league only allowed one real blowout loss - even when our valiant awesome offense only scored 16, 22, and so on in close losses. The blowout loss was to Nawlins 49-17 and in that game the Nawlins defense just smothered Dallas, allowing only 128 yards out of Romo. Lots of three and outs in that game, also three key sacks, and the Nawlins offense had their way with us all day.

The other big loss was a 17 point loss to Chicago where again, Romo was stifled - passing for only 104 yards and Orton coming in to add 40. 144 passing yards and you're gonna win today's NFL games? No. That game did feature 146 yards out of Murray on 18 carries though, and 54 more out of Randle.

So while the stats were terrible it's not hard to see that if last year's massive injury plague is avoided this defense won't be nearly as bad as it was. There's reason for optimism.
LOL

Tony Romo is the only QB in the world who would be blamed for losing a game when the offense scores 28, he throws 3 TDs (but only 104 yards), has no turnovers... and the defense doesn't stop the other team once. Most offenses will have at least one possession in a game where they have to punt based on their own lack of execution, a dropped pass, or a penalty that puts them into third and long. We couldn't even manage that. The longest FG they kicked was 34 yards... That means Chicago didn't have one drive where they didn't get inside our 30 yard line, until they kneeled at the end of the game. Yep, sounds like Romo deserves the blame.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tony Romo is the only QB in the world who would be blamed for losing a game when the offense scores 28, he throws 3 TDs (but only 104 yards), has no turnovers... and the defense doesn't stop the other team once.
Nobody was blaming him for anything. The Chicago game was a example of the defense NOT playing well, not of them playing well. Just like the Nawlins game.

I was merely pointing out that in games where the defense played reasonably well, we could not generate enough offense to win. Give me the 17-16 loss to KC as a example. Romo lost a fumble in that game, so did Dunbar. We were a horrible 3/11 on third down. KC was only slightly better, 4/13. We got four sacks on their QB. We should have won this game and if you do, you don't need the last game miracle.

Look at the Green Bay game. 2/9 on third down. Two key picks. The story of that game was points off turnovers, giving them the short field twice. We actually held them to just over 300 yards total offense. We made them punt four times compared to only two times for us. We kicked five field goals. Clearly we should have won that game.

NONE of this is part of a Romo debate - that's the other thread. This is making the case that although we had the worst defense in team history and the worst in the league last season, they played well enough times where we should have won the game and didn't. Hence the reason for optimism going into this next season.

If we have only half the injuries sustained last year I see huge improvement possible just on that - no credit to Marinelli or anyone else.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
3 games a season where the O does t score 20+ seems like a damn good season to me. Your stats just seem to show how much romo carried us, not the other way around.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
3 games a season where the O does t score 20+ seems like a damn good season to me. Your stats just seem to show how much romo carried us, not the other way around.
This isn't a Romo debate and no one was criticizing Romo. This is pointing out that the patchwork, off the street worst defense in the league gave us chances to win games and we didn't.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Plus you're looking at only three losses which could be called blowouts, from this worst defense in the league.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
This isn't a Romo debate and no one was criticizing Romo. This is pointing out that the patchwork, off the street worst defense in the league gave us chances to win games and we didn't.
Dallas was 3-1 against teams who scored less than 20 in 2013 and 13-3 against teams held under 20 since 2011

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dallas was 3-1 against teams who scored less than 20 in 2013 and 13-3 against teams held under 20 since 2011
Totally beside the point I am making about this defense and its chances for better results next year, assuming the injury situation is only half as dire.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Plus you're looking at only three losses which could be called blowouts, from this worst defense in the league.

Take out the Herculean offensive efforts and the D would have been responsible for more blow outs.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Take out the Herculean offensive efforts and the D would have been responsible for more blow outs.
Right, 16th ranked offense in the league. Hardly Herculean. It's middle of the road at best despite years of tailoring it to one player.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I guess I don't get where you are going...
It's not hard to get. I am saying I will give NO credit to Marinelli (You know, the topic of this thread?) if the defense suffers even half the injuries it sustained last year and shows marked improvement.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Right, 16th ranked offense in the league. Hardly Herculean. It's middle of the road at best despite years of tailoring it to one player.

Were the games decided by yards or points? Because in points we are fifth and 6 points out of 2nd place.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
It's not hard to get. I am saying I will give NO credit to Marinelli (You know, the topic of this thread?) if the defense suffers even half the injuries it sustained last year and shows marked improvement.

Okay, now what does that mean?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Where the games decided by yards or points? Because in pouts we are fifth and 6 points out of 2nd place.
That 16th ranking is total offense and offense isn't the topic of the thread.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
That 16th ranking is total offense and offense isn't the topic of the thread.
By total offense, do you mean how many yards they had? So yea, I guess we didn't have many yards, but they sure put up a fuck ton of points (you know points, the things that allowed only 3 blowouts despite historically bad D?)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Okay, now what does that mean?
It means there is NO defensive scheme or defensive coach who can field a decent unit playing guys off the street, playing 20 DL guys who weren't on the roster week one, playing four LBs and four secondary guys who weren't on the roster week one. So that assuming this doesn't happen next year, this defense isn't really as bad as last year and if so, the credit doesn't go to Marinelli or anyone. 'Guru' Marinelli - as the article in the OP calls him, would have absolutely jack shit nothing to do with that.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
It means there is NO defensive scheme or defensive coach who can field a decent unit playing guys off the street, playing 20 DL guys who weren't on the roster week one, playing four LBs and four secondary guys who weren't on the roster week one. So that assuming this doesn't happen next year, this defense isn't really as bad as last year and if so, the credit doesn't go to Marinelli or anyone. 'Guru' Marinelli - as the article in the OP calls him, would have absolutely jack shit nothing to do with that.
well, I argree with that. 'Guru' marinelli is the same guy doing the same thing in 2013 and 2014. You don't get to sprinkle a littlle bit of jones marketing magic on the thing and pretend like it has changed.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
By total offense, do you mean how many yards they had? So yea, I guess we didn't have many yards, but they sure put up a fuck ton of points (you know points, the things that allowed only 3 blowouts despite historically bad D?)
It's total offense as calculated by many factors. List here.
historically bad D
I assume you mean the historic bad D for that one year.

You're awfully defensive about this offense in a thread that's about the defense, for some reason.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
well, I argree with that. 'Guru' marinelli is the same guy doing the same thing in 2013 and 2014. You don't get to sprinkle a littlle bit of jones marketing magic on the thing and pretend like it has changed.
And it doesn't matter a whit who it is, if not marinelli. Or even if it is him. Assuming the defense avoids the unprecedented and historic injury disaster it experienced last year.

Top Bottom