Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
So, you think his yards per attempt would have gone up considerably if he had more attempts? Why would that be?

They aren't grasping the part where you project Aikman's numbers.

You make a great case for Romo. I think he's a stat whore's dream. I don't know if he's the guy I want on the last drive in a Superbowl if you're giving me a choice.

theogt

Reaction score
They aren't grasping the part where you project Aikman's numbers.

You make a great case for Romo. I think he's a stat whore's dream. I don't know if he's the guy I want on the last drive in a Superbowl if you're giving me a choice.
His late game stats are unbelievable, though.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
His late game stats are unbelievable, though.

Yeah, but playoff time is a whole other story. I don't think that book is already written on Romo, but I'll take what I know over what I don't.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If by "style of offense" you mean how much of a passing team they were, then, yes, I am factoring in the style of offense. Yards per attempt takes into account that "style of offense."

Not really, you are projecting and saying all his averages 9yds per attempt, tds, ints) would all be the same regardless of how many attempts he had, and you dont know if thats true. You also dont know how the offense would differ in terms of numbers of passes and types of routes to different receivers...when Aikman was QB our WR's constantly ranked at the top of the league in yds per reception

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There have been several QB busts and several huge misses. Ryan Leaf and Tom Brady are two that come to mind. This is why Theo is right about your logical fallacies.

But he's wrong about Romo being better than Aikman, unless all one cares about is fantasy numbers

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Uh...yes. If I had to pick either of the two in their prime, I would pick Romo every time.

you might...and some other nerds who love Madden football and fantasy football might

but nobody employed by an NFL franchise would

Cythim

Reaction score
There are too many variables to make an accurate statistical comparison. Take Aikman's completion rate as an example. He bested his peers by 2.8% while Romo is even with his peers. If you put Aikman's completion rate at 2.8% above Romo's peers (which would assume linear growth, something we shouldn't do) his yards per attempt grows from 7.1 to 7.7. This growth does not agree with his projected YPA when comparing each QB to their peers, however. Why not? YPA did not grow with completion rate. Why not? It is an arbitrary stat.

Cythim

Reaction score
But he's wrong about Romo being better than Aikman, unless all one cares about is fantasy numbers

You can't call him absolutely wrong because you have nothing to back it up. I agree that his stats don't prove him right, but appealing to authority doesn't make you right either.

theogt

Reaction score
Not really, you are projecting and saying all his averages 9yds per attempt, tds, ints) would all be the same regardless of how many attempts he had, and you dont know if thats true. You also dont know how the offense would differ in terms of numbers of passes and types of routes to different receivers...when Aikman was QB our WR's constantly ranked at the top of the league in yds per reception
Actually, I'm saying that Aikman's YPA would go DOWN over more attempts, because that's what all QBs do (i.e., their YPA goes down with more attempts).

theogt

Reaction score
There are too many variables to make an accurate statistical comparison. Take Aikman's completion rate as an example. He bested his peers by 2.8% while Romo is even with his peers. If you put Aikman's completion rate at 2.8% above Romo's peers (which would assume linear growth, something we shouldn't do) his yards per attempt grows from 7.1 to 7.7. This growth does not agree with his projected YPA when comparing each QB to their peers, however. Why not? YPA did not grow with completion rate. Why not? It is an arbitrary stat.
Aikman's completion percentage would likely go down with more attempts, as well as his YPA.

63echo

Reaction score
Uh...yes. If I had to pick either of the two in their prime, I would pick Romo every time.

There's not a bigger Romo homer here than me, but this made me cringe a bit. Maybe it's because I've been conditioned (brainwashed?) to automatically think Aikman/Staubach was the GOAT.

Cythim

Reaction score
Aikman's completion percentage would likely go down with more attempts, as well as his YPA.

What is your basis for this analysis? Looking Manning's numbers, I would say this is an inaccurate statement.

theogt

Reaction score
There's not a bigger Romo homer here than me, but this made me cringe a bit. Maybe it's because I've been conditioned (brainwashed?) to automatically think Aikman/Staubach was the GOAT.
Staubach (compared to his era) was better than Romo, no doubt. Aikman is probably the most overrated QB to ever live. Really good QB (elite QB for a few seasons), but by and large the beneficiary of a great team, for sure.

theogt

Reaction score
What is your basis for this analysis? Looking Manning's numbers, I would say this is an inaccurate statement.
Because it happens to all QBs. More passes tends to equate to lower completion percentage and lower yards per attempt.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I believe more passes would lead to a lower yards per attempt for sure. But a lower completion percentage automatically, no. If you have a lot of attempts with a good percentage of those being high percentage, short/mid-field throws, then realistically your completion percentage would be fairly high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom