sbk92

Reaction score
I think RB was a bigger need to the team than people think.

Barber is done and they don't think much of Choice. That leaves you just Felix Jones in a league where teams use multiple running backs.

Not that they should have drafted for need anyway.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Still unproven.. we need competition at the position.

Any rookie we would have drafted would have been unproven too. He's more proven than them.

He definitely looked like a player when he got out there.

Reaction score
Any rookie we would have drafted would have been unproven too. He's more proven than them.

He definitely looked like a player when he got out there.

..which is why we need competition at the position. We dont' currently have a guy proven that he can handle the bulk of the snaps at the position.

C

Cr122

That was my only complaint with our third round pick. I like Murray, but I also wanted to address DE, CB, or OL in the third.

There were some good players on the board at 71.

I think we could of landed Murray in the fourth or fifth round.

Reaction score
Last time I checked Jay Ratliff does that

Last time i checked.. Jay Ratliff got swallowed up alot last year and our run defense was horrible. He's a DE in a 34, not a NT. We need more beef inside to take on the double teams, get a little bit of push, and allow our good group of LB's to operate with more room.

Reaction score
I just think they need a better athlete anywhere in the front 7. Theres only so many ways to move Ware around and they can always double him.

So youre pretty ****ed if you

A) Only have 1 edge rusher
B) Your #2 rusher may be worn down and near done
C) Have slow LB's
D) Unimaginative blitzes

I think D will be improved w/ Ryan, and in a contract year A will be improved. C is getting overhauled with Sean Lee and Carter. Next year they do need to find some fresh blood along the line.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Last time i checked.. Jay Ratliff got swallowed up alot last year and our run defense was horrible. He's a DE in a 34, not a NT. We need more beef inside to take on the double teams, get a little bit of push, and allow our good group of LB's to operate with more room.

We're better off letting Ryan and Garrett decide what position he's best at. The fact is he's been really good there in the past.

He wasnt the only problem last yr, other than Ware they all underachieved. And alot of it was due to coaching, game plans and scheme.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's right, Garrett and Ryan are infallible. Let's leave it up to them.

Face it, our D is probably gonna stink once again.

I can say that because our offense is gonna be the best in the NFL, now that we drafted DeMarco Murray.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's right, Garrett and Ryan are infallible. Let's leave it up to them.

Face it, our D is probably gonna stink once again.

Frankly I'd be very surprised if it wasnt at least average. There's enough good players there to be better than what we saw last yr, and Rob Ryan is a very good coach. If he can get what he did out of that Cleveland defense last yr, he should be able to do pretty well here.

sbk92

Reaction score
That's in the homer handbook.

Oh, so you know more than the coaches?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Frankly I'd be very surprised if it wasnt at least average. There's enough good players there to be better than what we saw last yr, and Rob Ryan is a very good coach. If he can get what he did out of that Cleveland defense last yr, he should be able to do pretty well here.

Idk, if Keith Brooking and Bradie James are gonna continue to see major time at ILB, we return largely the same cast on the Dline and only fix one safety position. I don't see much room for improvement.

Now Jenkins getting back into form, Spencer playing for his contract, Brent continuing to mature, and Brooking and James being phased out can make this D take a huge jump from last year, but that's alot that needs to come together.

Cythim

Reaction score
There were plenty of solid NT's available outside of the first and second rounds lol. Kenrick Ellis for one. Chris Neild. Anthony Gray. Ian Williams. Hopefully we pick someone else up in FA at the position because i can't see a bigger need on this team right now.

Is that seriously the best you can do? Ellis is facing a possible 20 year prison sentence and two of the last three didn't even get drafted. The last guy, Neild, went second to last to the Skins. You have failed miserably.

Reaction score
We're better off letting Ryan and Garrett decide what position he's best at. The fact is he's been really good there in the past.

He wasnt the only problem last yr, other than Ware they all underachieved. And alot of it was due to coaching, game plans and scheme.

Yea, he was good there when we played a scheme that utilized him as a penetrating type NT. However, a scheme like this is not going to be good against the run, and if you want to run a traditional 34 D, you need beef up front. In any kind of a normal 34, Rat isn't going to cut it at NT. Period. Look at all the 34 teams across the league, especially the ones that are consistently successful. Any of their NT's near as small as Rat? Nope..

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, he was good there when we played a scheme that utilized him as a penetrating type NT. However, a scheme like this is not going to be good against the run, and if you want to run a traditional 34 D, you need beef up front. In any kind of a normal 34, Rat isn't going to cut it at NT. Period. Look at all the 34 teams across the league, especially the ones that are consistently successful. Any of their NT's near as small as Rat? Nope..

Dont you think Ryan might be figuring stuff like that out? Or do you think he is going to be "surprised"

And Josh Brent is pretty big.

Reaction score
Dont you think Ryan might be figuring stuff like that out? Or do you think he is going to be "surprised"

And Josh Brent is pretty big.

I do.. and that's why im confident Rat will be at DE.

Brent is big enough, and hopefully he'll pan out and keep improving on last season.. but we still need competition at the position. If we are smart, we arn't placing all our money on Brent to be able to do the job full time at such a critical position.

Top Bottom