dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Have no idea who this is, but he's a loser. I think only one team got a worse grade from him.

Dallas
What I liked: In a big year for offensive lineman, the Cowboys picked up 20-year-old Tyron Smith, the highest-rated offensive tackle on most boards, with the No. 9 pick in Round 1. He's already talking about his Hall of Fame potential. Ah, the intoxicating elixir of the draft.

What I didn't like: The Cowboys fielded the worst defense in franchise history last year, surrendering 436 points. So what did they do? Doubled down on its prolific offense (29.1 PPG over eight weeks under Jason Garrett) while devoting just two of eight picks to defense. Very curious draft that appeared to ignore the team's most obvious needs.

It should have been a big day for defense. Instead, the Cowboys will likely take the field next year with a same old collection of big, but underachieving names on defense. Grade: D-

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...e/05/01/draft.grades/index.html#ixzz1LCBoe99m

Reaction score
You realize that thread title will lead to sbk telling you you make him sick, right?

Reaction score
Why take a shit safety when Huff is coming in?

As lukewarm as I am in Spencer he is in a contract year so he will mysteriously start producing

sbk92

Reaction score
I love how everybody preaches BPA in the draft and sticking to your board and then most of those guys end up criticizing draft classes because they didn't address certain positions.

It's laughably inconsistent. I have no problem with criticism on our class. Just make it legitimate. Tell me the players aren't good or we passed on better players. Don't just give them a fail grade based on needs not being addressed.

sbk92

Reaction score
He gave us the worst grade in the division.

I'm still feeling out this draft class and what I really think of it, but I know right now that I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be the worst in the division.

No way would I trade ours for Philadelphia's.

I thought Washington was having a great draft. Smart early picks and some trade downs put them in a position to do a lot of damage on the 3rd day. But I don't think they capitalized on it. I wasn't impressed with their last 9 picks.

The Giants took Prince in the 1st. Still don't love that. At least they didn't have to do it at 9 like we would have. I do like the rest of their picks. I have no issue with anyone ranking their class over ours. Maybe even Washington's, but I wouldn't. Philadelphia? Not a chance.

Reaction score
If I could have picked the picks for each team I would have given Washington Ryan Kerrigan. You have no QB, RB, maybe you have a #2 WR in Armstrong. One of the only things you do have is a legit pass rusher. And Im not even sure Kerrigan is going to be a good pass rusher. His tape wasnt impressive. I do not fear the Tyron/Kerrigan matchup lol

The Giants hit a double. Safe player at an important position. Wont wow or shutdown but wont embarrass himself

Watkins to the Eagles hurts a little

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I love how everybody preaches BPA in the draft and sticking to your board and then most of those guys end up criticizing draft classes because they didn't address certain positions.

It's laughably inconsistent. I have no problem with criticism on our class. Just make it legitimate. Tell me the players aren't good or we passed on better players. Don't just give them a fail grade based on needs not being addressed.

It would only be laughably inconsistent if this particular guy is a disciple of picking the BPA.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If I could have picked the picks for each team I would have given Washington Ryan Kerrigan. You have no QB, RB, maybe you have a #2 WR in Armstrong. One of the only things you do have is a legit pass rusher. And Im not even sure Kerrigan is going to be a good pass rusher. His tape wasnt impressive. I do not fear the Tyron/Kerrigan matchup lol

The Giants hit a double. Safe player at an important position. Wont wow or shutdown but wont embarrass himself

Watkins to the Eagles hurts a little

At this moment, I'd rather have the Redskins with Kerrigen than with either Fairly or Quinn. By us sticking to our board and getting the player that was wanted and needed, we prevented that and I think as of now it was worth it. Kerrigen to me seems more suited as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB, but who knows.

Reaction score
I didnt see any good points in his article, other than noting the obvious that we took the highest rated T

You must have missed the parts where he mentioned we had an unbelievably shitty defense last season with alot of big names underachieving as a unit. Yet we barely addressed that at all, and spent many more picks on our already above average offense. DL is a huge need in particular for us along with quality DB depth that we have very little of.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You must have missed the parts where he mentioned we had an unbelievably shitty defense last season with alot of big names underachieving as a unit. Yet we barely addressed that at all, and spent many more picks on our already above average offense. DL is a huge need in particular for us along with quality DB depth that we have very little of.

Drafting for need rarely works out, especially in the long haul.

Draft the best players available on your board. And with free agency after the draft, teams will be even more inclined to do so.

That said, we did fill needs with our picks. The OL has been needing an influx of youth and talent for years, and we drafted 3 guys. We needed a RB to replace Barber and Choice. We needed another ILB to eventually fill the other ILB spot next to Lee because Brooking and James both are probably in their last years here. We did draft a CB, we also needed a WR who could possibly assume the 3rd WR role and help out in the return game.

If we had loaded up on defensive guys and ignored the OL, all these critics would have slammed us for that.

Cythim

Reaction score

So we need to replace big-named underachievers with rookies that would struggle to get playing time? What picks would you change that could have an impact on this defense?

Reaction score
So we need to replace big-named underachievers with rookies that would struggle to get playing time? What picks would you change that could have an impact on this defense?

Would have taken a NT at some point. Could do without Murray, as we already have a feature back in Felix and its much easier to find quality RB's low in the draft or in UDFA than other positions. Spending a 3rd rounder on a RB when we could have had quality players for DB or DL was strange imo. Also it seems Murray will be another back, like Felix, who has durability concerns and is also a back who goes down on first contact.

Cythim

Reaction score
Who and when? Outside of the first two rounds there was no NT worth taking. What DB could we have had to challenge the group we currently have? Be specific if you want to bitch about what we could have or should have done.

Reaction score
Who and when? Outside of the first two rounds there was no NT worth taking. What DB could we have had to challenge the group we currently have? Be specific if you want to bitch about what we could have or should have done.

There were plenty of solid NT's available outside of the first and second rounds lol. Kenrick Ellis for one. Chris Neild. Anthony Gray. Ian Williams. Hopefully we pick someone else up in FA at the position because i can't see a bigger need on this team right now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There were plenty of solid NT's available outside of the first and second rounds lol. Kenrick Ellis for one. Chris Neild. Anthony Gray. Ian Williams. Hopefully we pick someone else up in FA at the position because i can't see a bigger need on this team right now.

Josh Brent

Top Bottom