icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Reaction score
Yeah that is a tough stat and true. The homers will say Byrons case has to do with a lack of pass rush and so receivers had more time to get open. He seems to have all the skills and intelligence to be a good coverage player but it hasn't turned into a diamond yet.

Broaddus wrote this on Scouts Eye final thoughts on DC.com this morning:

How could I not, when the last two days featured the Cowboys’ two biggest needs – defensive end and cornerback?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
his specialty is eliminating the opponents' receiving tight end. but that's weird because it kinda looks like that's his greatest weakness.

good thing he showed up and played well vs. jordan ree... wait.

well, at least he matches up well with zach er....... uhh shit he got smoked by ertz too.

i really hope the giants don't draft a tight end.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
To me, guys like him who have great measurables but aren't great college players obviously have some weakness, and it's usually instincts, feel for the game, etc. I guess you hope they get better in those areas but a lot of times they don't.

I mean, let's face it, anyone can look at the drill results or Sparq scores and draft that way. But it's not that simple.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
To me, guys like him who have great measurables but aren't great college players obviously have some weakness, and it's usually instincts, feel for the game, etc.
Intelligence.... And so on. Dumb players. Jones is just, fucking dumb.

Reaction score
his specialty is eliminating the opponents' receiving tight end. but that's weird because it kinda looks like that's his greatest weakness.

good thing he showed up and played well vs. jordan ree... wait.

well, at least he matches up well with zach er....... uhh shit he got smoked by ertz too.

i really hope the giants don't draft a tight end.

I was going to say that he gets a lot of credit for being an eraser against tight ends, and I remember someone (Broaddus maybe) posting gifs of him shutting down TE's and exclaiming how rare that was.

Yet I have a lot of memories of him getting worked over.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I was going to say that he gets a lot of credit for being an eraser against tight ends, and I remember someone (Broaddus maybe) posting gifs of him shutting down TE's and exclaiming how rare that was.

Yet I have a lot of memories of him getting worked over.

he had a decent day against Gronk two years ago. that's where it comes from.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The first yard is in your head. We should be drafting guys with football instincts who can diagnose plays quickly, rather than workout warriors who have no clue what's happening on the field.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Guy is worse than I thought and I hadnt been particularly impressed to this point. This is his 3rd year coming up so he is what he is after that. Moral to the story: Draft based on his tape, not the underwear olympics.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the record, I don't think Jones is necessarily a bust. He's not earned his draft position, but I honestly think this team struggles identifying secondary talent in the first place, as well as developing secondary talent.

Outside of Scandrick and possibly Anthony Brown (jury still out), has there been a corner or safety drafted in the past 10-12 years who has been worth a shit?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
For the record, I don't think Jones is necessarily a bust. He's not earned his draft position, but I honestly think this team struggles identifying secondary talent in the first place, as well as developing secondary talent.

Outside of Scandrick and possibly Anthony Brown (jury still out), has there been a corner or safety drafted in the past 10-12 years who has been worth a shit?

No and neither has the coaching staff trying that is to develop them.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

me neither. more of a massive disappointment. but yes, he'll be a bust if he doesn't improve dramatically this year in terms of coverage and INTs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
To me, guys like him who have great measurables but aren't great college players obviously have some weakness, and it's usually instincts, feel for the game, etc. I guess you hope they get better in those areas but a lot of times they don't.

I mean, let's face it, anyone can look at the drill results or Sparq scores and draft that way. But it's not that simple.

He wasn't just a workout warrior though (think Mamula). He did have good game reviews as I recall.

Needs to be better, but the same can be said for just about everyone on the defense. They need more talent and need to make more plays.

I think he'll be a solid player in time, but he needs to go after the ball more.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah that is a tough stat and true. The homers will say Byrons case has to do with a lack of pass rush and so receivers had more time to get open. He seems to have all the skills and intelligence to be a good coverage player but it hasn't turned into a diamond yet.

Broaddus wrote this on Scouts Eye final thoughts on DC.com this morning:

So are you saying that having no pass rush has zero effect on a secondary's ability to cover?

Reaction score
So are you saying that having no pass rush has zero effect on a secondary's ability to cover?

I didn't say anything about zero. Situationally were all of Byrons bad coverage situations (which gave the opposing QB a 100+) QB ratings as a result of extended routes based on poor pass rush. Prolly not.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about zero. Situationally were all of Byrons bad coverage situations (which gave the opposing QB a 100+) QB ratings as a result of extended routes based on poor pass rush. Prolly not.

That's what we need to find out then to be accurate when it comes to Jones' ability to cover. On plays that he was burned how many seconds did the QB have in the pocket? Unless you're Deion Sanders in his prime any DB is going to have trouble covering if the QB has more than 5 seconds in the pocket without getting rushed or pressured.

Top Bottom