Reaction score
There were several things that I learned about this roster last season that will help me when it comes to finding players for this upcoming 2013 NFL Draft. Regardless of the scheme change, this defense is in great hands with Sean Lee and Bruce Carter as the major pieces of it. The scheme calls for an athletic, aware, solid tacking middle linebacker which fits Lee to a tee.

As outstanding as Lee is finding the football, working his way through trash and making tackles, he is even better as a defender in pass coverage. He can play man coverage but has a really nice feel for zone drops and where he needs to fit. His ability to react was put on display several times this season against Tampa on a zone drop, then driving on the ball for an interception. Then against Carolina where the receiver ran a route behind him on third down and he was able to knock the ball loose. Lee will benefit having two defensive linemen in front of him instead of just one. By playing covered, he really has a chance to chase the ball because he will not have to always take on blocks. Lee’s ability to read scheme quickly will really help him in this defense both run and pass.

There were so many questions before training camp opened last season about Bruce Carter and his ability to take the job full time. Carter clearly out played Dan Connor who I thought would give him a run for the spot but that never worked out. Carter was outstanding until he suffered the elbow injury against the Redskins on Thanksgiving Day. With Lee out of the lineup, he did more than pick up the slack from his loss. In the new scheme he will line up as the Will and his job will be to help DeMarcus Ware on that backside in not only playing against the run but some zone drops in coverage. Carter should be a star in this defense because of his run-hit factor.

Former Buccaneers Derrick Brooks played at a very high level because he was allowed to chase the ball. Where Carter really improved his game this season and this was from talking to Sean Lee as well, is how fast he was able to read scheme. There were some times in 2011 where Carter was a tick slow but that is no longer the case. Carter is in that mode now of see ball, get ball. I mentioned he will be playing on the same side with Ware and I really do believe this helps Ware because he can get up the field as quickly as possible to disrupt the play, with Carter backing him up, he has confidence that he can take a chance on a play knowing that Carter has his back.

As the season ending Dan Connor and Ernie Sims were the starting inside linebackers. There is a side of me that believes that Connor will most likely be gone mainly for cap reason and Sims is an unrestricted free agent so for him to have to come back in the mix, the club is most likely going to have to find some money for him but he too can go to another team after showing some value.

Caleb McSurdy doesn’t really fit the profile of the Mike linebacker because I didn’t see the speed or quickness but there was no question of his toughness studying his college tape and maybe he could develop into a core special teamer much like Danny McCray has. I have to give the kid credit, when I walk by that weight room he is in there rain or shine. Orie Lemon showed enough nose for the ball to be given an opportunity but look for the front office to address the spot behind Lee through the draft because they sit now, there is a bit of a mismatched group.

Reaction score
and Sims is an unrestricted free agent so for him to have to come back in the mix, the club is most likely going to have to find some money for him but he too can go to another team after showing some value.

Hats off to Sims for his performance this year. I was wrong for criticizing the signing when we made it. That said, I don't resign him. Too many concussions.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wonder how orie lemon fits in this scheme.

When he played last year he looked good on special teams and at ilb. It was a bummer when he went to IR.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I mentioned he will be playing on the same side with Ware and I really do believe this helps Ware because he can get up the field as quickly as possible to disrupt the play, with Carter backing him up, he has confidence that he can take a chance on a play knowing that Carter has his back.

That will definitely help against RG3 and the zone-read offense.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I mentioned he will be playing on the same side with Ware and I really do believe this helps Ware because he can get up the field as quickly as possible to disrupt the play, with Carter backing him up, he has confidence that he can take a chance on a play knowing that Carter has his back.

That will definitely help against RG3 and the zone-read offense.

My thoughts exactly.

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I wonder how orie lemon fits in this scheme.

When he played last year he looked good on special teams and at ilb. It was a bummer when he went to IR.

he's too slow. maybe goalline defense

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
strong side though? He didnt appear to be that slow to me...

maybe he is a bad fit, I dont know.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I thought with his pass-rushing background that Alex Albright might make a serviceable WOLB.

He didn't look too bad chasing down that little guy from Pittsburgh in coverage, and he has the length to handle TEs, so maybe he would be a serviceable SOLB too.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I thought with his pass-rushing background that Alex Albright might make a serviceable WOLB.

He didn't look too bad chasing down that little guy from Pittsburgh in coverage, and he has the length to handle TEs, so maybe he would be a serviceable SOLB too.

broaddus has said right now it would be him or wilber at solb

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Lemon runs a 4.9. You need a 4.7 to play the SAM according to Broaddus. We could probably survive with Dan Connor or Kyle Wilber at the SAM. Ideally you would like to address that position via the draft but having invested a couple of second rounders in back to back drafts and with so many needs accross the board I wouldnt count on it. Albright and Butler are reserve DE's in this defense IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
the strong OLB in a 4-3 isnt all that critical, especially with so many teams play 3-4 WR sets on passing downs...

if Albright couldnt handle it, wouldnt be all that hard to find some middling priced free agent or even a middle to late rd draft pick who could play that spot...its nowhere near as complex as playing OLB in a 3-4 scheme

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
precisely..if theres 1 position to be weak at, in this scheme, its the SOLB...

doesnt help that we are also weak at multiple other positions

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
precisely..if theres 1 position to be weak at, in this scheme, its the SOLB...

doesnt help that we are also weak at multiple other positions

I think we're set at most of the positions. The two safety spots need help, although you'd hope maybe someone in house could man at least one of those spots. I think two of the OLB are set in stone with really good players. Ware will be fine at RDE. If Ratliff is healthy, he could potentially be reinvented here in this scheme. I think Hatcher fits nicely. I think Crawford could be adequate at LDE. Lissemore fits at DT here. The CB's are set. The other other thing we need is a legit pass rusher opp Ware.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think Hatcher makes far too much money in this scheme. He'll likely back up Ratliff at the 3-technique, or at least he should. I don't see him controlling blockers at the 0-technique. He never did it in his time here.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Lemon runs a 4.9. You need a 4.7 to play the SAM according to Broaddus. We could probably survive with Dan Connor or Kyle Wilber at the SAM. Ideally you would like to address that position via the draft but having invested a couple of second rounders in back to back drafts and with so many needs accross the board I wouldnt count on it. Albright and Butler are reserve DE's in this defense IMO.

butler and conner are all done here.

on the roster we will have lemon, wilber, albright as of now for that spot.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They said they were going to try Wilbur at strong OLB. I wouldnt be surprised though if he ends up back at RDE with his hand on the ground. Its what he did most of his time at Wake Forest anyway.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Hatcher makes far too much money in this scheme. He'll likely back up Ratliff at the 3-technique, or at least he should. I don't see him controlling blockers at the 0-technique. He never did it in his time here.

are you fucking crazy? hatcher is going to be a beast in this scheme...and hes way more reliable than ratliff

hatch>>>>rat

Top Bottom