Reaction score
No doubt -- Frederick really has turned out to be a outstanding addition, on a number of levels.

Superior to Gurode and light years from Costa.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, just stop trying to pretend the Dallas line of the 90s was a group of elite, highly sought after guys. They were not.

Newton, Gogoan, Gesek, Tuinei- yep...absolutely they were over achievers

Allen and Big E were outstandng physical talents, how you could dispute that is pretty much beyond rationale. They had power and movement ability that few in the game could match. Stepnoski was HIGHLY rated as a technician and his ability to play with great leverage despite being undersized. These 3 guys were outstanding talents.

But there is no doubt Wise and then Houck made all our guys better, in addition to playing with 8 and 22

Reaction score
Linehan was just quoted the past week or so in a couple of articles as saying Garrett told him that was what they wanted going forward (when he was hired)

Reading between the lines why did he feel he had to say that? Compensating a bit for the truth, which is Jason Garrett has been ridiculously pass-heavy as a play-caller/director or whatever one wants to call it, and then suddenly not this year.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Allen and Big E were outstandng physical talents, how you could dispute that is pretty much beyond rationale.
I'm not disputing that.
But there is no doubt Wise and then Houck made all our guys better, in addition to playing with 8 and 22
There is no doubt the attack scheme and attitude made these guys better. As a unit. Which was the point.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Reading between the lines why did he feel he had to say that? Compensating a bit for the truth, which is Jason Garrett has been ridiculously pass-heavy as a play-caller/director or whatever one wants to call it, and then suddenly not this year.

I dont know, go read the article and see what the context was in which it came up...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not to belabor the point but it does bear repeating - Garrett did not suddenly wake up one day and change his whole philosophy. He woke up one day and realized his QB has back issues after major invasive disk surgery and needs more help. Running the ball alot more IS more help.

What he didn't realize - because he is a educated idiot - is running the ball helps the entire team, not just the QB. It helps the defense and also the passing game enormously.

Had Tony never hurt his back and never had surgery, how many here believe we would be running the ball more than we are passing?

We threw out the "check with me" stuff primarily because of Tony's back issues.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not to belabor the point but it does bear repeating - Garrett did not suddenly wake up one day and change his whole philosophy. He woke up one day and realized his QB has back issues after major invasive disk surgery and needs more help. Running the ball alot more IS more help.

What he didn't realize - because he is a educated idiot - is running the ball helps the entire team, not just the QB. It helps the defense and also the passing game enormously.

Had Tony never hurt his back and never had surgery, how many here believe we would be running the ball more than we are passing?

We threw out the "check with me" stuff primarily because of Tony's back issues.

I think thats some of it, but the fact that they are really good at it and can do it in key situations also helps...

It also helps that Murray has been healthy

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think thats some of it, but the fact that they are really good at it and can do it in key situations also helps...

It also helps that Murray has been healthy
They were always really good at it. Just refused to keep after it. Over a 5 yd per carry average for Murray, always.

Redball told Linehan we want to run the ball more, primarily because of Tony's back.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They were "no names" because they were no names. SO highly regarded, they went in 2nd and 3rd rounds. They greatly OVER-achieved.

Larry Allen... greatly overachieved? A guy that could play and EXCEL at all OL positions... overachieved. Got it.

Erik Williams... the only guy that could consistently shut down Reggie White... overachieved. Ok. Was in a car accident and arguably came back better than before. Overachieved.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Omg, Dbair back in full foam finger mode again.

DON FUK WIT MY DALLAS!!!!!

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Agree with most of this, but to me its still comical to read things like the bolded because the vast majority of people said adding Linehan would make the pass heavy playcalling WORSE, not better. (For the record, I was not one of those however)
You're so smart, dbair

It was a valid concern because he had been pass heavy and was chummy with Garrett. However, unlike Garrett, he had used the run in the past

My bigger concern was that Linehan was a pretty run of the mill OC. However, his success here shows just how overmatched Garrett was/is. The offense looks do much better with balance. It is exactly what Romo needed

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Linehan was just quoted the past week or so in a couple of articles as saying Garrett told him that was what they wanted going forward (when he was hired)

Garrett has also said he wanted a more balanced offense, a two TE base, etc in the past and never did it. Wanting something and actually committing to it are two different things.

Would we run this much if Garrett was calling plays? I really doubt it

Reaction score
I think this game coming up will be a big test to see if the Cowboys will stick to the run again. Skins are very good at stopping the run but vulnerable against the pass.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Garrett has also said he wanted a more balanced offense, a two TE base, etc in the past and never did it. Wanting something and actually committing to it are two different things.

Would we run this much if Garrett was calling plays? I really doubt it
This speaks more to my point. Garrett didn't suddenly wake up a changed man, philosophy-wise. He awoke one day to find out his QB had back surgery that 90% of people never really fully recover from.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Erik Williams... the only guy that could consistently shut down Reggie White... overachieved. Ok. Was in a car accident and arguably came back better than before. Overachieved.

Wait. What?

You are the only person who I have ever seen that thinks Williams came back better. In actuality, he lost a lot of mobility and that accident cost him the HOF and possibly being known as one of the best Olinemen of all time.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Question: Any idea why opposing defenses are unable to stop Romo from moving to the outside, since he does it every time there’s someone on his blind side?

It's different planning defending against that type of move and actually seeing it in action. Once they spot Romo out there, their natural instinct to get him right there kicks in. Romo just uses it against them. Kind of like karate. Right, phildominator?

I don't believe defenses will ever be able to catch Romo in the midst of a spin.

Top Bottom