cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I realized they lost today but I was still impressed with how improved the Texans defense is. I know some will say it's Wade Phillips, and I'm sure that's a part of it, but I think it was Rick Smith. The Texans' General Manager spent first and second round picks on defenders while also making a major free agent signing and a mid-level caliber free agent pick-up. With these 4 additions, he addressed all four defensive levels, DL, LB, CB, and S.

*Signed Johnathan Joseph CB (Cincinnati) to a 5-year, $48.75M deal.
*Signed Daniel Manning S (Chicago) to a 4-year, $20M deal.
*Drafted J.J. Watt DE (Wisconsin) with the 11th pick.
*Drafted Brooks Reed OLB (Arizona) with the 42nd pick.

I think we are capable of this kind of upgrade as well. One big money signing, one starting caliber veteran signing, and investing two of our top three picks to the defense.

Some examples
*Calais Campbell DE Arizona
*Aaron Ross CB NY Giants
*Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
*Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State

or
*Mario Williams OLB Houston
*Tom Zbikowski FS Notre Dame
*Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
*Josh Chapman NT Alabama

or
*Laron Landry SS Washington
*Red Bryant DE Seattle
*Chase Minnifield CB Virginia (2nd round pick)
*Johnathan Massaquoi OLB Troy (3rd round pick)

I know some of these names may not jump out and excite the hell out of you but I'm sure not too many Texans fans felt Daniel Manning and Brooks Reid were going to have the impact they did either. If the organization dedicates itself to adding 4 quality players to the defense (not too much to ask really) then they would join DeMarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff, Sean Lee, and Mike Jenkins on what would be a greatly improved Cowboys Defense.

Just my opinion. I wrote this knowing all along I still very much want David DeCastro with the 14th pick.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Aaron Ross blows..other than that good post..I also like option 1..with a diff CB than Ross..throw in Webb..i think hes a FA

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
There are a lot of free agent CBs out there:

the guys in my sig
Terrell Thomas
Rashean Mathis

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Nobody performed worse than the secondary this year it was beyond bad. So what does the genius Jerry do? Contract extensions for Scandrick & Sensabaugh during the season. Under Jerrys' pay scale he would have to pay a Troy Polamalu type player about $30 million a year.

Is there any other teams in the NFL that were gonna swoop down & steal these guys from us? Not one other team would pay those clowns anything close to what our idiot GM did. No wonder they played so badly, they had no incentive to perform since Jerry had already rewarded their horrible play w/a big paycheck.

On the 43 yd pass completion from Eli, Scandrick looked like a rookie in training camp who had never even seen an NFL receiver in his life. He was completely lost just like the owne

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Nobody performed worse than the secondary this year it was beyond bad. So what does the genius Jerry do? Contract extensions for Scandrick & Sensabaugh during the season. Under Jerrys' pay scale he would have to pay a Troy Polamalu type player about $30 million a year.

Is there any other teams in the NFL that were gonna swoop down & steal these guys from us? Not one other team would pay those clowns anything close to what our idiot GM did. No wonder they played so badly, they had no incentive to perform since Jerry had already rewarded their horrible play w/a big paycheck.

On the 43 yd pass completion from Eli, Scandrick looked like a rookie in training camp who had never even seen an NFL receiver in his life. He was completely lost just like the owne

Now there's talk about Scandrick being a starter next year which is scary. When they signed him Jerry said he was one of the better nickel backs slash slot corners around. It's why most of us include a starting caliber CB in our mock off-season plans.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Starter, great speed. I don't see that much difference with him and Terrell Thomas, who's coming off a major injury. I just need a starting caliber Cornerback to keep Scandrick at nickel.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We have to go big in free agency, it's three years of drafting to fix this team.

I like the idea of

Solai, Landry and any two starting caliber corners.

I also like the idea of Jackson or mcintosh at mlb.

I agree w need abfree agent at each level, plus at least two rookies that can play.

And then the issue of Spencer, I wouldn't even consider signing him. I would just go find a high motor guy from a winning program in the NFL or in college.

We have had enough of mopey ok with losing attitude players. This is the season to cut them all out.

Spencer, Bennett, Newman, James, ball etc...

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think we are capable of this kind of upgrade as well. One big money signing, one starting caliber veteran signing, and investing two of our top three picks to the defense.

Some examples
*Aaron Ross CB NY Giants
*Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
*Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State

or
*Mario Williams OLB Houston
*Josh Chapman NT Alabama

or
*Laron Landry SS Washington
*Red Bryant DE Seattle
*Chase Minnifield CB Virginia (2nd round pick)
*Johnathan Massaquoi OLB Troy (3rd round pick)

I know some of these names may not jump out and excite the hell out of you but I'm sure not too many Texans fans felt Daniel Manning and Brooks Reid were going to have the impact they did either. If the organization dedicates itself to adding 4 quality players to the defense (not too much to ask really) then they would join DeMarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff, Sean Lee, and Mike Jenkins on what would be a greatly improved Cowboys Defense.

Just my opinion. I wrote this knowing all along I still very much want David DeCastro with the 14th pick.

Your first example I would change to this:

*Courtland Finnegan CB Tennessee
*Andre Branch DE/OLB Clemson (2nd round pick)

*Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State----although I would have wanted Stephon Gilmore, but Finnegan may negate this need.

With this, we can still get DeCastro.

Your next example:

*Andre Branch DE/OLB Clemson (2nd rounder)
*Josh Chapman NT Alabama

Our 3rd rounder would go for offense Zeitler, OG---Wisconsin. Also, I think Zbikowski would be a better SS.

Your final example:

*Laron Landry SS Washington---holding my nose because of the Redskins' stench.
*Red Bryant DE Seattle
*Andre Branch DE/OLB Clemson (2nd round pick)
*Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina(3rd round pick)

I assume that we used the 1st on DeCastro.

Reaction score
Starter, great speed. I don't see that much difference with him and Terrell Thomas, who's coming off a major injury. I just need a starting caliber Cornerback to keep Scandrick at nickel.

I've never been impressed with Ross. In fact, I think he sucks.

But he'd be coming from a team with heart.

Slatemosphere

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I like Michael Griffin but he's played in a cover 2 system his whole career..

I'd sign Finnegan to replace Newman.

I'd sign Donte Whitner to replace Elam

I'd sign Carl Nicks to replace Kosier

I'd sign Osi to replace Spencer

Draft Decastro to replace Holland

Draft Minnifield to replace Ball

All of those are upgrades and easily doable.

Reaction score
Whitner won't be a FA, you're thinking of Goldson.

That's probably 1 big FA too many b/c I dont see them releasing Scandrick.

Top Bottom