Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
"I think it's too difficult a job for one guy to say, 'Hey, I'm the playcaller. I put the whole playbook together, I put all the game plans together, I call the plays.' That's not the way we operate. That's not the way we have operated or will operate."

lol weren't he and Jerry just saying that it was beneficial for the coach to be both HC and play-caller; and that Garrett would continue to do that?

Yes.

What these fuckers say changes on a daily basis. It's basically blind ass Jerry going in a direction and everyone with enough sense is trying to predict which direction so they don't look just as blind as he is.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bullshit.

It will take three consecutive 5-11 seasons before Jerry starts feeling the impact.

There are a lot of stupid Cowboys fans.

If he dumps Garrett after another 8-8, I will be mildly shocked.

It depends on the circumstances. If he loses five-six in a row Norv-style, yeah.

But if there is an injury excuse or anything else that can excuse Garrett, I believe he will take it, despite the appearance Garrett is on his shit list.

I disagree. Garrett's 8-8 with Romo, is equivalent to Campo's 5-11 with Carter. Jones has signed Romo to this monster contract, so Romo's not going anywhere. If Jones got rid of Ryan just after two seasons, Garrett will be gone if the Cowboys do not make the playoffs.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Bullshit.

It will take three consecutive 5-11 seasons before Jerry starts feeling the impact.

There are a lot of stupid Cowboys fans.

If he dumps Garrett after another 8-8, I will be mildly shocked.

It depends on the circumstances. If he loses five-six in a row Norv-style, yeah.

But if there is an injury excuse or anything else that can excuse Garrett, I believe he will take it, despite the appearance Garrett is on his shit list.

I agree. Just look at some of these message boards such as CZ and the Ranch. For a guy to post year around, he is more than just a casual fan. These guys get more info than most fans and still can't see that the Cowboys are a damn mess year after year. For a big percentage of the fanbase to excuse this screwed-up mess and defend it, it tells me that they are a long ways off from seeing the reality of the situation. We can call them homers, koolaid drinkers or just plain stupid, but the fact remains that they will still buy tickets and jerseys, even if the team is 8-8 again. They have it in their head that their support really means something to the players and that you are not a good fan if you don't follow blindly and have unrealistic hopes every year.

Reaction score
Hear me out on this... It's just a theory.

I have zero confidence that Jerry can hire a coach who would be able to come in here and clean things up year one and be a contender right away. I also don't think any coach Jerry will hire is going to have any sustained success here, because Jerry is going to be Jerry.

Jerry clearly loves Garrett for whatever reason. If Garrett starts to gain Jerry's confidence, and Jerry sticks with Garrett's "process," maybe Jerry loosens the grip some...?? I do think Garrett could be a successful HC if he's not beholden to an overbearing Owner/GM.

I just feel like if Garrett goes, we're going to be back where we were when Campo, Wade or Garrett started. The only thing I like right now is it appears our HC has some sense of building something here. If we fire him, we'll again be rudderless.

While I agree that JJ is more than capable of screwing this up way more than it already is, I do have some faith because he did go out and hire Parcells at one point. It might just have been to get the new stadium but he also does still seem to be bothered by losing. That being said, I would not be surprised if he goes out and brings in Butch Davis or Rich Kotite to salvage things.

As for Garrett, I'm not quite sure that he'll ever really get it. Everyone hopes it will happen, but there are tons of shitty coaches who remain shitty even after having years and years of experience. The worst thing that happened to Garrett is that he didnt get that foundation like mostly every great coach has prior to becoming great. Even Landry proved himself in NY prior to arriving here. Saban worked at shitty schools like freakin Toledo and Kent State. Jimmy Johnson was LA Tech, Wich State and even some high school according to Wikipedia.

Garrett is on the job training right now and it's really at a disservice to the fanbase and the veterans and like Witten and Ware. It would have been more tolerable if this were a young team years away from contending. I personally think we have way too much talent that is underachieving. Best case scenario is that Garrett learns fast like Doc Rivers (also heavily criticized and almost run out of Boston) and gets us a ring before this core becomes way too old. I just don't see it happening.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hear me out on this... It's just a theory.

I have zero confidence that Jerry can hire a coach who would be able to come in here and clean things up year one and be a contender right away. I also don't think any coach Jerry will hire is going to have any sustained success here, because Jerry is going to be Jerry.

Jerry clearly loves Garrett for whatever reason. If Garrett starts to gain Jerry's confidence, and Jerry sticks with Garrett's "process," maybe Jerry loosens the grip some...?? I do think Garrett could be a successful HC if he's not beholden to an overbearing Owner/GM.

I just feel like if Garrett goes, we're going to be back where we were when Campo, Wade or Garrett started. The only thing I like right now is it appears our HC has some sense of building something here. If we fire him, we'll again be rudderless.

You know what.

Nick eatman talked from the end of camp until the game in Washington that his sources inside the organization were telling him that Garrett was doing too much and spread too thin.

So if that is true and he had a hand in everything it makes sense that he hired other coaches he trusted and that he removed a responsibility, play calling, in order to be able to oversee everything without being spread to thin.

I know the responses that are coming because everyone here hates him and basically the whole team but if true the offseason is not as quirky as it seems.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Why is it that it's fine to hate Campo or Gailey or Phillips but we're supposed to love Jason Garrett? What makes him so special?

Because he's still HERE. No other reason. Campo, Gailey, and Phillips all had their jock sniffers too. But once they're down the road, it's ok to bash them.

Same goes for players. Look at Terrence Newman. People defended him to the death while he wore the star. Now? He's a f'n bum.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I never understood why people defended Terence Newman. He made one good play for every eight big ones he gave up (when he wasn't hurt with something), yet somehow he was a good cornerback.

Beats me...

Top Bottom