Reaction score
Yesterday's game was more about Philly's disintegration and blunders than Dallas really dominating. When Foles was sacked by Selvie and Wynn, he had a huge amount of time and scrambling space. He could have just gone out of bounds or lunged forward for 10 yards. Vick would have scored. It does show how great the DBs were covering but it was an event of Foles being stupid rather than a great DL play. Celek and Avante would have been TDs but for terrible throws. They were wide open.

Dallas needs more method and clock control, which will open up the long play. But every coach knows that when Dallas goes to 3rd down, there is really only one process that happens with the O-line and Romo, and so they can blitz him at will. I think Jason thinks that since the WRs are running different routes, the play is technically different. But it's not. It's just a big opportunity to blitz Romo without worrying about a handoff, and end around, a counter and force a throw/error/sack. If there is no reason for the defense to pause and consider any other options the offense may have prior to the dropback and throw, they can just pin back their ears and launch.

This part of the offense is not Callahan. It's Jason's scheme.

I disagree somewhat here. Sure, it'd be much better if the Cowboys had a running game. But the blitzing defense still has to worry about defensing quick passes to those running the hot routes. The Cowboys have had some success in spreading the defense and quickly passing to the likes of Beasley before the blitz has a chance to arrive.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The good is that the division is awful and we have gotten away from Garrett's play calling.

The bad is Jerry is taking shortcuts hoping that the Safety, Defensive Line, and RB (Murray's injury) will work themselves out. It's going to haunt us down the stretch and certainly in the playoffs.

You left out Callahan's play calling is worse than Garrett's ever was

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Next 5 games.....

AT LIONS
VIKINGS
AT SAINTS
AT GIANTS
RAIDERS

8-4 is very doable heading into December.

If this were to happen and this team still finds a way to lose the division the NFL needs to give this organization the death penalty.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
AT LIONS - Should be a shootout. Could see it either way.
VIKINGS - Unless Freeman has a rebirth we should take this one.
AT SAINTS - Rex Ryan's desire to blitz the hell out of us may backfire but they will outscore us either way.
AT GIANTS - This will be their Superbowl but we really shouldn't lose here.
RAIDERS - Terrelle Pryor adds a different element to them but still an easy win.

Reaction score
I disagree somewhat here. Sure, it'd be much better if the Cowboys had a running game. But the blitzing defense still has to worry about defensing quick passes to those running the hot routes. The Cowboys have had some success in spreading the defense and quickly passing to the likes of Beasley before the blitz has a chance to arrive.

Right. Parcells had a blitz defense method that he had in place that he taught Romo "you are going to want them to blitz". And I would agree with you if there were more slants, curls, misdirection, etc worked into those blitz situations. But other than a recent sprinkling of Beasley, the blitz audible looked very similar to every other pass play. And similar to every other desperate situation, that most other NFL coaches create a specific remedy for, Jason does not invent solutions.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What's worse about it?

Too much dink and dunk stuff all year (save one game). Run play designs look awful on most run plays. The 3rd and short call yesterday when they tried for the 2nd time to run that run in motion into the backfield toss to Harris was awful. The insistence (still) on trying to run short yardage plays from tight formations when we still don't get enough push (another failed 3rd and less than one yesterday). Despite constant "zero blitz" type technique from Philly yesterday, very few pass plays called with routes into the middle of the field. Wasting plays with backwards passes at/behind the LOS.

Sorry, but am not impressed. Maybe it will improve, but I think everyone is seeing why nobody else wanted this guy calling plays for them.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Too much dink and dunk stuff all year (save one game). Run play designs look awful on most run plays. The 3rd and short call yesterday when they tried for the 2nd time to run that run in motion into the backfield toss to Harris was awful. The insistence (still) on trying to run short yardage plays from tight formations when we still don't get enough push (another failed 3rd and less than one yesterday). Despite constant "zero blitz" type technique from Philly yesterday, very few pass plays called with routes into the middle of the field. Wasting plays with backwards passes at/behind the LOS.

Sorry, but am not impressed. Maybe it will improve, but I think everyone is seeing why nobody else wanted this guy calling plays for them.

I'm all about PPG. We'll see how it ends up over a whole season, but right now Dallas is averaging 28.6 PPG.

5 PPG better than Garrett last year and better than any year of Garrett as OC (including the 2007 year with Sparano holding his hand)

Garrett's average PPG over his entire OC career is 24.1 PPG.

So, we'll see if it holds up, but early returns look much better than what we've seen from Garrett.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

That's somehow better than the long developing pass tree; where they had Romo sit and wait forever and then get hit?

Or how about not being able to score more than 10 points in the 1st half for almost an entire season?

The offense that Ray Lewis could call out in his sleep? *that's with one, whole week of preparation*

I think everyone has seen why no one has offered Jason Garrett an offensive coordinator position.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm all about PPG. We'll see how it ends up over a whole season, but right now Dallas is averaging 28.6 PPG.

5 PPG better than Garrett last year and better than any year of Garrett as OC (including the 2007 year with Sparano holding his hand)

Garrett's average PPG over his entire OC career is 24.1 PPG.

So, we'll see if it holds up, but early returns look much better than what we've seen from Garrett.

How many of those 28.6 PPG are special teams and defense?

Give me a break dude. Other than two games, the offense hasn't been any better than anything else we've seen for the past 5-6 yrs, in fact IMO its been worse.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think everyone has seen why no one has offered Jason Garrett an offensive coordinator position.

Well he got one OC job and then got a HC job, that'd be why he hasn't had a chance as OC anywhere else.

Look I don't think Garrett is a good offensive coach either, but Callahan is lousy

Top Bottom