Reaction score
Right. Dak being paid way under market value helps mitigate the salary cap hit associated with Romo's retirement.

The pre-free agency/salary cap era was better for fans, but it sucked so bad for the players that I'm glad the change happened.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Right. Dak being paid way under market value helps mitigate the salary cap hit associated with Romo's retirement.

The pre-free agency/salary cap era was better for fans, but it sucked so bad for the players that I'm glad the change happened.

Do you think it would be better for the players if there was no cap at all?

I think it would but I also think it would hurt the league overall by causing small market teams to be unable to compete for the best players, then again, its not like the cap has helped teams like Jacksonville and Cleveland get any better.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've always thought Romo makes it through next year (2017).

If he was waived, traded, or chose to retire after this season, it would save the Cowboys $5.1M in cap room ($24.7M 2017 cap hit minus $19.6M accelerated bonus). He would be completely off the books before the 2018 season. If Romo was done, but the team designated him a June 1st cut, he'd create $14M in cap room, which of course is not available until June 1st, well after free agency. He would still count $8.9M towards the 2018 salary cap.

Now, if he can hold on until after the 2017 season, the termination of his contract would create $16.3M in cap room ($25.2M 2018 cap hit minus $8.9M accelerated bonus). If the team chose to designate him a June 1st cut that year, he would free up $19.5M and still count $3.2M in 2019.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
^This is why I was never worried about re-signing Zack Martin and La'el Collins.

Reaction score
Do you think it would be better for the players if there was no cap at all?

It depends on whether / how free agency was allowed, if there were minimum salaries, if/how much teams were required to spend on player contracts (minimum payroll rquirements), etc. In general, though, no maximum cap would help the players.

Reaction score
I've always thought Romo makes it through next year (2017).

If he was waived, traded, or chose to retire after this season, it would save the Cowboys $5.1M in cap room ($24.7M 2017 cap hit minus $19.6M accelerated bonus). He would be completely off the books before the 2018 season. If Romo was done, but the team designated him a June 1st cut, he'd create $14M in cap room, which of course is not available until June 1st, well after free agency. He would still count $8.9M towards the 2018 salary cap.

Now, if he can hold on until after the 2017 season, the termination of his contract would create $16.3M in cap room ($25.2M 2018 cap hit minus $8.9M accelerated bonus). If the team chose to designate him a June 1st cut that year, he would free up $19.5M and still count $3.2M in 2019.

Sure. After the 2017 season makes much sense financially.

Of course there are other non-financial aspects to the decision too. If Dak ends up the starter next season, could Romo find it acceptable to finish out his career as a back up in Dallas? Would Romo rather retire or possibly finish out his career elsewhere?

So much is up in the air. We don't really know who will start at QB in Week 10 this year. Next year seems very far away.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
By the way am I the only one who is glad we don't have a collarbone issue? Tony's rebuilt collarbone is really holding up surprisingly well!

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like the position we are in.

When/if Romo gets healthy, he comes back in. If he gets hurt again, we are good, we have Dak.

If Dak plays so well that Romo can never get his job back, we either have a great (but expensive) back-up and mentor next year before moving on after 2017.. OR if a healthy Romo is back and is upset about being a backup, we trade him next off-season for a $5M cap savings and get his contract completely off the books before 2018. Then we get all of that cap room and whatever we get for Romo in the trade to improve the team going into 2018.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If Dak plays so well that Romo can never get his job back, we either have a great (but expensive) back-up and mentor next year before moving on after 2017.. OR if a healthy Romo is back and is upset about being a backup, we trade him next off-season for a $5M cap savings and get his contract completely off the books before 2018. Then we get all of that cap room and whatever we get for Romo in the trade to improve the team going into 2018.
But who in the world EVER makes this type of financial commitment to a broken down old quarterback who can't even run anymore?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But who in the world EVER makes this type of financial commitment to a broken down old quarterback who can't even run anymore?

Usually in big contract trades, the team and player agree on a new contract with a new signing bonus as part of the trade. Good for the team because it drives down the cap #, good for the player because he gets immediate money.

Let's say the NY Jets sent us a 2018 #2 next off-season for Romo...

We have already discussed how it impacts the Cowboys salary cap.

The Jets would inherit Romo's contract, with 3 years left on it.
2017 - $14M base and $14M cap hit - no bonus because that only impacts the Cowboys
2018 - $19.5M base and hit
2019 - $20.5M cap hit
None of this is guaranteed and the Jets could get out of the contract at any time since this a traded-player's contract.

So what would most likely happen is that the Jets would give him a new deal with numbers something like a 3-year deal with a $14M signing bonus and a $1M base salary in 2017, a $5M base salary in 2018 (some of it may be guaranteed), and a $10M base salary in 2019 (which he will never see so in essence, it is a 2-year deal). This gives Romo his whole 2017 salary of $14M immediately. The Jets now get Romo for a 2017 cap hit of $5.7M and $9.7M in 2018, and can free up $10M in cap room buy cutting him before 2019.

Again this all assuming Romo is both healthy and wants out of his role here.

Reaction score
Wanted to mention this -

Of Dak's throws vs.the Bengals, one of my favorites is the one he threw away. Dak dropped back and threw the ball at the feet of an outlet receiver in the flat. He just threw the ball away to get out of an unsuccessful play. It showed that he understands the importance of protecting the ball.

It took Romo 10 years to consistently embrace the importance of protecting the ball. With Dak, it came preloaded. He's not a gunslinger.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wanted to mention this -

Of Dak's throws vs.the Bengals, one of my favorites is the one he threw away. Dak dropped back and threw the ball at the feet of an outlet receiver in the flat. He just threw the ball away to get out of an unsuccessful play. It showed that he understands the importance of protecting the ball.

It took Romo 10 years to consistently embrace the importance of protecting the ball. With Dak, it came preloaded. He's not a gunslinger.

Has Romo really learned this? Its a borderline miracle when he throws the ball away.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's worth much more than he's being paid ... and this will continue for the next few years. He'll lose millions of dollars, because as a rookie he was essentially forced to sign a multi-year slotted salary contract. Good for the Cowboys' salary cap, not good for the player.

Fear not young Padiwan! Jerry will massively over pay him at the end of his rookie contract if he has any modicum of success whatsoever.

He will most likely become the highest paid QB in NFL history. He will get what he's worth eventually. Times 10

Top Bottom