Reaction score
Vikings want "first-round pick and more" for AP

It would take "at least a first-round pick and more compensation" for the Minnesota Vikings to consider trading running back Adrian Peterson according to Adam Caplan of ESPN.com.

That is a pretty steep price for any team to pay for a 30-year-old back who has not played a down of NFL football since Week 1 of the 2014 season-but then, AP is no ordinary running back. The "compensation" the Vikings are looking for is a starting cornerback, a position they're expected to address in the draft. The Vikings' front office feels the team is "so much better" with Peterson and that point cannot be argued. There has been no other franchise back like him since he entered the league and his presence should help second-year quarterback Teddy Bridgewater play much better in 2015.

Reaction score
I really hope Jerry can be restrained again on draft day. I mean.... I don't think he'd do anything crazy, but would he panic if, say, Gordon and Gurley are both off the board at 27?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hope not. Too many other good RB's available.

After the Galloway and RW trades blew up on him the way they did, I'd hope he's learned his lesson on this.

I'm not totally opposed to trading for the guy, but would prefer they didnt and definitely dont want us to part with primo picks to get him.

Reaction score
Agreed. But if the team feels the window is small (this year or next)..... then they might pull the trigger.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it was Broaddus who suggested weeks ago that trading our 1st straight up for Peterson was a good idea in his opinion.

I dont agree, but that kind of thinking is apparently out there.

Reaction score
Not sure what I think. I mean, I basically think if you add Peterson to this offense, we're basically a Super Bowl lock. Very high short term returns. Terrible long term. Then again, we're basically starting over again once Romo is gone (two years or so) anyways.

Reaction score
@BabeLaufenberg: Can we put this 2 rest? AP is not coming 2 Dallas. Vikings paid him $14M to play 1 game in '14. "Oh, sure Adrian, where would U like 2 go?"

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
@BabeLaufenberg: Can we put this 2 rest? AP is not coming 2 Dallas. Vikings paid him $14M to play 1 game in '14. "Oh, sure Adrian, where would U like 2 go?"

That doesn't mean they want to pay a surly, 30-yo RB millions and millions for the next three years, Babe. Does AP want to get out of Minny so badly that he will accept a trade to Oakland? Doubtful. This is where Dallas has leverage.

Reaction score
If they want a starting CB, maybe they'll take Carr's contract off our hands. Carr and a 2nd? Anyone?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The chances of picking a player in the first, from where Dallas picks, and having that player offer more to the team than Peterson could, that's highly unlikely.

I don't gave a problem giving up a 1st if that's what he ends up costing some team.

I think it'll be a 2nd and most.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That doesn't mean they want to pay a surly, 30-yo RB millions and millions for the next three years, Babe. Does AP want to get out of Minny so badly that he will accept a trade to Oakland? Doubtful. This is where Dallas has leverage.

Yep.

The vikings are full of shit, they're not paying AP 15 mill this year so unless some stupid GM can't play poker, Vikings will eventually release him.

Unfortunately, we all know which stupid GM is likely to fold under the pressure

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't see why they won't pay him. They have cap space with a cheap QB, and they think they have a chance at the playoffs this year. Plus he's a franchise icon.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't see why they won't pay him. They have cap space with a cheap QB, and they think they have a chance at the playoffs this year. Plus he's a franchise icon.

$15 million for a player that doesn't want to be there would be a stupid allocation of resources but you're right they may do it, I just believe the odds are heavily against that happening.

I'm speculating here but I believe the whole disrespect thing from Peterson was triggered by Minnys front office trying to renegotiate his contract which made him realize he wasn't going to see the $15 million his contract owed him and opened the door for him to dream of blue-er pastures. I have nothing to back this up as its complete conjecture on my part.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Obviously Adrian Peterson wants out because he hates Mike Zimmer

- Midswat

Iamtdg

Reaction score
No way I give up a 1st for a 30 year old RB with some fairly extensive injury history and baggage to boot. 4th would be about the highest I would go. Plus, a contract renegotiation, of course.

Top Bottom